• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water do i water or no?

HotPeppas

Banned
So lets say on day 1 i water at night. Then on day 2 its scorchin hot out. Plants droop

Now would i water or no? Is it from lack of water for them to pump up due to how hot it is. Or do they just shut fown from to much heat?

Ty

If they are really wilted the need some shade or darkness and some water :) Its not healthy for the plants to be constantly stressed

Some wilting in the Sun\heat is normal and not an indication of a lack of water --- so whether the plant needs to be watered depends - If it is in a good soil that drains well giving it some water will not hurt as it cools down the soil and provides some relief for the plant but drooping\wilting in the sun is just the plants normal method to conserve water and energy by shutting down and reducing the surface area exposed to the heat.

Watering frequency depends on the size of the plant, size of pot, and how much water the soil holds as well as other misc. factors like humidity level, amount of wind, and type of plant. Right now I am watering twice daily, and my goal is to water an amount where there's barely too little to run out the bottom of the pot. I give the plants this amount and later the same day they are drooping enough to recover from a second watering.

There's two stages of droop. With initial droop the plant just lets the leaves tilt downwards more but they retain their basic shape. This may be unavoidable if it's really hot but having some shade helps. Then there's total droop where the leaves are just hanging downward with no rigidity at all which is a sign the plant needs more water, as is droop of the stem they're on.

i water if drooping no matter what, only because it cools the soil as well... either thirsty or hot, water seems to be a good choice in my mind.

Unless, you are showing yellow overwater signs.

EDIT: i also think people consider anything droop, if the plant is limp, and very fragile to the touch... its thirsty or sunburned. but just because the leaves arent pointed straight up doesnt mean its drooping/wilted. it may just be the normal daily cycle. Use the leaves texture as a reference, soft and clingy is not normal, but droopy and firm is normal. (these may look similar from a distance)

Yeah, I will get some examples up soon but it may be a couple days till I get a complete cycle, time allowing.

That Happen to me Today it was 100°+ and Mine Wilted To The Point that some Leafs Fell off, I Gave Them Water and They are Coming Back from the Dead, I make sure They are Really Hydrated till Next Time

if you think your plants need water, be careful...the top of your soil may be bone dry but the bottom of the container (where the majority of the roots are) can be mud....best thing to do is stick your finger in one of the drain holes in the bottom of the container and see how wet the soil is (assuming you are growing in containers)...if the soil is "mud" do NOT water...

summer time wilting is normal for the plants...there is a condition known as permanent wilting....that is when the plants only recover after adding water...I would not think this is good for the plants but have not done enough reading to understand it fully....I have already started reading several articles concerning permanent wilting....good subject...

remember this.....extreme hot weather + extremely wet soil = root rot

Its super hot here as well...My plants are in the garden and have sun pretty much all day. They got watered last evening and foliar spray with epson salts. Went to the garden at lunch and my plants look super wilted...

I was going to water but noticed that it looks damps near the stems so I didn't...Hope the perk up after sun is gone if not I'll water again this eve....

+1 on what AJ said............also, if you're using containers get into the habit of picking them up or if too large tilt them on an angle. Once you get the feel of the weight
(wet and dry) you'll know when the container is light...it needs a GOOD drenching.
Root rot is nasty, the plants become shocked and in most cases become stunted and croak.
Leaf wilt is common with HOT weather. I'm seeing more of this in Chicago this year than any other season I could remember. If the plant itself has drooping branches then its evaporating too fast. A light watering of the top soil will usually perk it back up.
I gear the amout of water needed by the way the plants look the 1st thing in the morning
and the weight of the pots after I get home from work. Too much water is never a good thing.

Greg

The soil here drains very well. It depends on your soil. I water every two days. It has been super hot and my plants are growing like crazy.

Edit: I don't water the plants I have in containers as much.

Its super hot here as well...My plants are in the garden and have sun pretty much all day. They got watered last evening and foliar spray with epson salts. Went to the garden at lunch and my plants look super wilted...

I was going to water but noticed that it looks damps near the stems so I didn't...Hope the perk up after sun is gone if not I'll water again this eve....

No worries. They are fine. Mine wilt from the heat too.

Can we get some pics of to hot plants vs need water plants in terms of drooping

It was a bit cooler today, only 88F around 5:PM when these were taken. The plant is beginning to droop an excessive amount and needs watered. For this example I picked a plant too big for the pot it's in, and set a black bucket of water next to the plant in full sun all day long so the water was quite warm, did not cool the roots.

First 2 pics show leaves hanging almost straight downward, stems starting to bend, second two pics show the plant recovered to its normal hot weather shape with only a little droop, 15 minutes after being given 3 quarts of warm water. .

droop.jpg

droopzoom.jpg

Now after a drink...

watered.jpg

wateredzoom.jpg

When it was over 100F here this plant would droop a little more than in this last pic but not much.

It was a bit cooler today, only 88F around 5:PM when these were taken. The plant is beginning to droop an excessive amount and needs watered. For this example I picked a plant too big for the pot it's in, and set a black bucket of water next to the plant in full sun all day long so the water was quite warm, did not cool the roots.

First 2 pics show leaves hanging almost straight downward, stems starting to bend, second two pics show the plant recovered to its normal hot weather shape with only a little droop, 15 minutes after being given 3 quarts of warm water. .

droop.jpg

droopzoom.jpg

Now after a drink...

watered.jpg

wateredzoom.jpg

When it was over 100F here this plant would droop a little more than in this last pic but not much.
That Is Got To Be an Epic Plant, I Wonder How Much You Yield of That

I should mention this is an overwintered plant, I have no hope of growing something this size in one season in my region, though some of my other plants aren't looking too shabby..... It started out in a 3 or 4 gallon pot then I transplanted it but I have no pots large enough + I need pots to be a size other people can move if necessary.

I made a mistake with that one, it was starving for nitrogen and dropped a lot of blooms before I corrected the situation plus high wind at the time made things worse. Now it has hundreds or more peppers that blend in and are hard to see, and maybe thousands of blooms.

Not hydroponics but some similarities when the pot obviously isn't enough.

Back