• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do new plants need a stake?

For future reference I am starting my plants off and they are small. Should I place a stake in the pot now? Or does this all depend on how the plants grow?

I would probably avoid staking a small plant unless you live in a windy area. I like exposing my seedling to mild or moderate wind because it helps strengthen the stem but if you get strong winds, you may need to give them a little support so they don't get damaged.

Edmick said:
I would probably avoid staking a small plant unless you live in a windy area. I like exposing my seedling to mild or moderate wind because it helps strengthen the stem but if you get strong winds, you may need to give them a little support so they don't get damaged.

What could I do to promote stronger stem?

bangbangchabooky said:

What could I do to promote stronger stem?
If you have them indoors then just putting a fan on them helps toughen them up a little but if you have them outside then the mild to moderate winds will do that for you. I've also heard of people using water soluble silica too but more then likely your soil already has enough in it. I think adding silica for strong stems is more of a hydro thing

Edmick said:
If you have them indoors then just putting a fan on them helps toughen them up a little but if you have them outside then the mild to moderate winds will do that for you. I've also heard of people using water soluble silica too but more then likely your soil already has enough in it. I think adding silica for strong stems is more of a hydro thing

Sounds great I am actually bringing them out now. They have been hardening off for a few weeks now. I see a def boost of growth with them getting sun now. Thanks for the suggestions!

I use bamboo bbq skewers when I plant out and the plants are too small for stakes. Just push them in from the top of the plant down, between the branches. 2 per plant. No string required. It holds them really well until they get bigger.

Back