• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do you prefer your super hots over your others?

So far I've got only one super hot giving me fruit ripe enough to eat (my Dorset Naga) and its my first year growing anything super hot...but after having the pepper, I can find that its not AS interesting as I thought. I really like hot spicy food but this thing is so incredibly hot that its not even fun to consume raw which is what I like to do along with my food. I'm finding that I enjoy the more mellow ones much more. I have some paper lanterns, some chinense variant which is a cross for sure and the good old cayenne pepper. While the Dorset has awesome taste, I'm scared of it. I'm not even sure what I will do with my 7 pod, Scorpion and Bhut when they start producing. I'm assuming they are going to be just as painful as the Dorset.

By the way, I've also got Chocolate habs, Mustard Hab, Red Savinas and Bonda Ma Jacques on the way. I'm assuming they will be hotter than the paper lanterns right? I've also got Tabasco on the way so I'm curious what it tastes like.

I've given up just trying to grow super-hots and now focus on flavorful chiles of all heat levels. With super-hots, I rarely eat them fresh but use them a lot for cooking with or in sauces, pastes,powders etc., and they work well for pest control too

I enjoy them because it's a kick in the pants to eat them. Raw wouldn't be the first way i'd want to enjoy them though that's for sure.

I'm Growing a wide range of peppers from no heat to mild to medium to all the way to are you freaking insane and then some?!?

I only know of a few people who are willing to try out supperhot peplers with me which is why i am growing all heat levels to tailor to everyone's needs. I'm currently studying to be a chef so i ned to have everything in terms of heat range and flavors. =)

i use scotch bonnets/habaneros/mystery trinidad-tobago-jamaican peppers in my food a lot. i either chop them down to a mush and mix them into the food before cooking it (habanero burgers with spicy mayo [sriracha + mayo + hot curry] topping are so good), or use them sliced and partially de-cored depending on who's eating the food with me (my chilli is pretty damn near nuclear, at this point, when i'm by myself.).

i'm not one to enjoy the raw taste of a pepper, especially when most of the stuff i can get around here is green. the only exception being picked fefferoni and cherries (not superhots by any means. extremely mild peppers, really), and the pickling sorta does take away the green peppery flavor from these.

I like to use the superhots in sauces to kick it up a notch. i like to grow other varieties for their beauty,and for other culinary uses. pepper, hot garlic olive oil for pasta.

I will at least try every pepper I grow. Maybe not a big piece, but I will give it a try. I use the superhots for sauces, salsa, and powders and use the milder ones for any fresh use and some cooking. I am the only one in my house that likes spicy food, so can't use any with a lot of heat to cook with.

jacob

i pretty much agree with the others. superhots are just too much to sit around munching on but I find it hard to get a habanero sauce hot enough so I've been trowing in a few 7's to kick things up a notch. Now I never have to eat another extract sauce again (thankfully!).

Habs are my everyday use peppers and I'd love to try out a few Numex varieties for next year. It's good to balance things out.

I will eat a whole pod of every chili I'm growing this year, but my supers are mostly going to be going into sauces/concentrates.
Chocolate Habanero, at this point, is my hands down favorite pepper. I think it tastes incredible, the smell is great, it's not so hot that it fraks up my mouth and digestive system, it's visually appealing, so unless I find something I like more, it's my go-to pepper.

and they work well for pest control too

Potawie, can you elaborate on this? I've heard that capsaicin can be used to deter certain pests but not sure which critters and also method of application (spray or powdered). I too always end up with more superhots than I know what to do with so finding alternate uses would be nice.

You can make chile spray for insects or you can use hot pods around the garden to deter deer. I'm always telling the story of the deer that ate a hab in front of me and freaked out

Apart from eating them with food, and the sheer beauty of them my other reason is giving them to my mates, especially the ones that brag about how much heat they can handle. :)

Apart from eating them with food, and the sheer beauty of them my other reason is giving them to my mates, especially the ones that brag about how much heat they can handle. :)

Amen brother, put's them right in their little pansy place eh!

I like growing mostly supers because they go so much further, more bang for your buck so to speak. I grow prabably 90% Chinense.

About the Tabasco, i wasn't overwhelmed with the flavor fresh but the heat is outstanding for a pepper that is supposed to be around 50,000 shu. A lot of people make powder from these and say that the taste is very good. Also a very juicy pepper when fresh.

i have tried the powders of superhots in coffee. i must say i love it with it. now i can't have coffee without it! lol

Potawie, can you elaborate on this? I've heard that capsaicin can be used to deter certain pests but not sure which critters and also method of application (spray or powdered). I too always end up with more superhots than I know what to do with so finding alternate uses would be nice.

Like Potawie said....Make a spray using a bunch of pureed super hots and spray it on everything. Won't be touched afterwards.

I often use 1-3 millin SHU oleoresin in my sprays and I've never had problems except for inhaling the stuff or feeling it in my eyes

Back