• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do you SuperThrive?

I use it & will keep using it with other natural fertilizers. but then again natural fertilizers are not natural in the sense, only thing natural is throw the plant in plain ol' dirt anything else is unnatural. that means the dirt in your yard & no other forums of fertilizers or anything!
so who cares!
also superthrive is not some toxic waste, it can help your plants when used in moderation.

Quad,

My former boss interviewed a guy promoting bee pollen on her radio show many years ago - this guy took so much he actually buzzed. Sounded like a bumblebee!

I've taken it before and it will give you extra energy if you take enough of it.

Mike

Nice one Pam!

Here's the Bottom Line from that PDF:

The Bottom Line

• Vitamin B-1, aka thiamine, does not reduce transplant shock or stimulate new root growth on
plants outside the laboratory
• A nitrogen fertilizer is adequate for transplanting landscape plants; avoid use of “transplant
fertilizers” that contain phosphate
• Healthy plants will synthesize their own thiamine supply
• Healthy soils contain beneficial microbes that synthesize thiamine as well
• Difficult-to-transplant species may be aided by application of auxin-containing products in
addition to nitrogen, but read the label and don’t add unnecessary and potentially harmful
chemicals (this includes organics!)
• Adequate soil moisture is crucial for new root growth; be sure to irrigate new transplants
frequently and use mulch to reduce evaporation

That said, IMHO I think chiles are kind of a special case plant..treat 'em like most veggies and flowers and they'll croak.

Nice paper tho. :)

Maybe I can just add some Red Bull to the watering can, it has B-vitamins AND caffeine. That should make then grow twice as fast!

QuadShotz said:
That said, IMHO I think chiles are kind of a special case plant..treat 'em like most veggies and flowers and they'll croak.

Oh, I couldn't disagree with you more, peppers are tough! The last two summers in a row I've had almost no time to devote to the garden once I got the plants in the ground, the rest of my life got in the way. And the peppers thrived. Oh, maybe they weren't quite as big or productive as they are when I have time to fuss over them, but I still had more peppers than you could shake a stick at.

Tomatoes, now tomatoes benefit from being coddled and fussed over, but peppers? Get out of the way and let those bad boys do their thing.

I'm agreeing with Pam a lot lately:) but ya, I find chiles to be about the easiest vegetable to grow. They don't need much care at all and start extremely well under inexpensive flourescent lights unlike tomatoes and most other veggies which need a lot of extra care.

I've never known toms to need special care. When we were kids, we would transplant them, I would run a cultivator through them once or twice and we didn't visit the field until it was time to harvest. Staking and hoeing would have helped, no doubt, but we never worried about it.

Mike

What variety were you growing, Mike?

It may well be a climate difference or my affinity for non-standard varieties of tomatoes, but if I ignored my tomato plants, I wouldn't get more than a tomato or three off of each vine.

I've been using a special fert for a while now.....

It's called 'water'. Not sure about the spelling....

I have been getting great results......especially when it is used in conjunction with another secret of mine... 'sun shine'......

Pam said:
Oh, I couldn't disagree with you more, peppers are tough! The last two summers in a row I've had almost no time to devote to the garden once I got the plants in the ground, the rest of my life got in the way. And the peppers thrived. Oh, maybe they weren't quite as big or productive as they are when I have time to fuss over them, but I still had more peppers than you could shake a stick at.

Tomatoes, now tomatoes benefit from being coddled and fussed over, but peppers? Get out of the way and let those bad boys do their thing.

POTAWIE said:
I'm agreeing with Pam a lot lately:) but ya, I find chiles to be about the easiest vegetable to grow. They don't need much care at all and start extremely well under inexpensive flourescent lights unlike tomatoes and most other veggies which need a lot of extra care.

Well, that's actually what I meant...unlike most things they DONT want daily watering or special ferts or such pickyness.

Pam,

It's been a few decades ago but I know dad was a big fan of beefsteak and Delicious. Also, back in those days (and the calendar has been changing) we rarely got superhot (above 95 degrees) for days in a row after July 4. Upper 80s to mid-90s, we had several of them.

Another difference might have been our season. With the exception of a few plants at each field, we didn't transplant the huge numbers until the middle of June or so. The toms weren't ripe until mid-September.

In the last couple of years that I've grown a significant number (34-45 plants), the only thing I've done different between the toms and peppers is stake the toms - and a lot of them fell over last year.

The difference between us might be the heat factor.

Mike

moyboy said:
I've been using a special fert for a while now.....

It's called 'water'. Not sure about the spelling....

I have been getting great results......especially when it is used in conjunction with another secret of mine... 'sun shine'......

Dammit. You know you could have let us all in on these secrets a little sooner don't you think?

Back