• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Do your sauces seperate?

I made 6 bottles of a Moruga Blend hot sauce, and just noticed the next day, that the sauce had separated, with about an inch of clear liquid at the top. I only used peppers, vinegar, garlic, and salt. I know everything is clean, and ph stable. what could have caused this?

I made 6 bottles of a Moruga Blend hot sauce, and just noticed the next day, that the sauce had separated, with about an inch of clear liquid at the top. I only used peppers, vinegar, garlic, and salt. I know everything is clean, and ph stable. what could have caused this?

I've only been doing this for a year or so, but I'm pretty sure this is normal. As for what caused it... Gravity. The heavier solids simply settle to the bottom. Give her a good shake and press on
VR,
Harold

It happens. A little too much vinegar. If you use liquid pectin it will not do that but will a little thicker. Shake it up it will be fine. Better to have more than not enough vinegar. Andrew

cool, I did add some extra vinegar before the last boiling. I wanted to get an even 6 bottles from it. I thought it might be the capsaicin oil that didn't mix with the sauce.

What I've noticed is I'll finish a batch and initially it'll separate by the next day but over time as it ages it doesn't as much.  Maybe the vinegar is breaking down some pepper flesh to make it thicker.

Next time it happens, stick a probe down into the top layer only and taste it... there's your answer what it is.

Always cook your mix down to your liking. Adding vinegar towards the end is the way to go. Adding vinegar to soon and reaching the boiling point can alter the ph....after the fact. Read the thread on Emulsifiers...Agar Agar, Guar, Xanthan, Tic.............others. Once your sauce is stable, temperature will not effect the structure.

Back