• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

that infinity in the middle looks to me like it want to live! if you havent thrown it away kep her and love her.

Your set up looks great! The greenhouse makes a big difference in what you can do in a year. I'll be trying to take cuttings too in the near future, It seems like a under utilized technique in the pepper community.

Thanks, man! It has really allowed me to start sprouting earlier, so hopefully the plants will be much larger when put out in the early Spring. I'm hoping they can really utilize that Spring weather to load up with poddage. The cutting idea is a good one, as long as you have a plant whose characteristics you want to mimic. I have a couple of such plants so I'm trying my hand at cloning them...but I'm also growing the same varieties from seed, just in case the clones don't work out, or in the event I get an even better plant from seed.

that infinity in the middle looks to me like it want to live! if you havent thrown it away kep her and love her.

I had actually given it some water right before that pic was taken. Checked on it in the morning and it looked even worse. I'm afraid she's gone to the great compost bin in the sky. ;)

Awesome progress, Brent! The greenhouse looks great. They do heat up in
the sun, for sure. On warm days, I leave the doors and windows open in some
combination to keep the temps down. I usually don't have anything in it during
the summer heat. Sometimes in the Spring, I have to throw a shade cloth over
it for a bit. I didn't caulk the edges of my panels, or put tape over them as the
directions on the new panels suggested (foil tape on the top edge and a breathable
tape on the bottom edge.) Just didn't seem too critical. I get condensation, but I
don't think sealing the ends would prevent that. The panels fit tight up against the
ridge and the gutter edge, so they are not wide open like the 4mm pre cut panels
that came with the kit were. Maybe I will regret that in the long run, I don't know.

Your seedlings look great, they should love their new home. I've been keeping my
night temps around 45-48 and the plants seem to be doing okay. Yesterday 67˚ in
the sunny afternoon (51˚ ambient).

Great grow going there, my friend!

Awesome progress, Brent! The greenhouse looks great. They do heat up in
the sun, for sure. On warm days, I leave the doors and windows open in some
combination to keep the temps down. I usually don't have anything in it during
the summer heat. Sometimes in the Spring, I have to throw a shade cloth over
it for a bit. I didn't caulk the edges of my panels, or put tape over them as the
directions on the new panels suggested (foil tape on the top edge and a breathable
tape on the bottom edge.) Just didn't seem too critical. I get condensation, but I
don't think sealing the ends would prevent that. The panels fit tight up against the
ridge and the gutter edge, so they are not wide open like the 4mm pre cut panels
that came with the kit were. Maybe I will regret that in the long run, I don't know.

Your seedlings look great, they should love their new home. I've been keeping my
night temps around 45-48 and the plants seem to be doing okay. Yesterday 67˚ in
the sunny afternoon (51˚ ambient).

Great grow going there, my friend!

Thanks for stopping in, my friend. Glad to see you making your way back around the board. I'm pretty sure the condensation would happen regardless. That's gotta be just a function of a warm enclosed environment and potted plants with moist soil. If anything, I think caulking would increase condensation, although I doubt it would be noticable. I actually did it to minimize drafts in the cold so that my little space heater wouldn't have to work as hard. In retrospect, it probably did little to help. Too bad, because my caulking job looks awful, lol! Never caulked a large area before, so the beads didn't start looking halfway decent until I was about 2/3 done. Anyway, what is done is done and I'm not going to undo it! LOL!

I'll be honest, I know little about the Koreans. As you probably surmised from the labels, I have the Korean Winner Hybrid and the Andy F1 Gochu. I know exactly zero about their flavor profile, only that you love them. Can you tell me a bit about them? I have gathered they have heat, but not at the level of a super. Are they sweet, tart, bitter? Any flavor notes like citrus or berry? From your Glog, I gather they are used in Kim-Chi, is that correct? Any other Korean dishes that use them? I wanted to grow them to round out the overall flavor, heat, and aesthetic profile of my grow.
Hi Doc
Except to say that the Koreans usually have a heat profile on the lower end of "medium" and are very aromatic, I'm not sure what to say about their attributes. If you're interested, I could send you a small bag of my powder and you can ju
dge for yourself. If you have a discriminating palate, I'd appreciate it if you post a review. I sent some to HabaneroHead in Hungary, and he mentioned a somewhat "woody" smell, but said he liked the taste. The Korean word for red pepper is Gochu, so pepper powder would be gochugaru and pepper paste would be gochujang. Both are used extensively in Korean cuisine, but usually a dish only has one or the other in it. There are a number of websites that give traditional and Korean-fusion recipes... http://www.maangchi.com/ is one I like. http://hannaone.com/Recipe/ is another.
Hope this helps...

do not seal anything!

condesation happens because of the diffrences of temp.

you want to be able to alow the most air-flow,never stop it. you can keep warm enough for that space. go buy some heaters? like a "little buddy" something that runs on propane. one$30 dollar tank should last all year for you!

Hi Doc
Except to say that the Koreans usually have a heat profile on the lower end of "medium" and are very aromatic, I'm not sure what to say about their attributes. If you're interested, I could send you a small bag of my powder and you can ju
dge for yourself. If you have a discriminating palate, I'd appreciate it if you post a review. I sent some to HabaneroHead in Hungary, and he mentioned a somewhat "woody" smell, but said he liked the taste. The Korean word for red pepper is Gochu, so pepper powder would be gochugaru and pepper paste would be gochujang. Both are used extensively in Korean cuisine, but usually a dish only has one or the other in it. There are a number of websites that give traditional and Korean-fusion recipes... http://www.maangchi.com/ is one I like. http://hannaone.com/Recipe/ is another.
Hope this helps...

Thanks Rick, that helps a lot. Appreciate the offer for the powder, but don't want to impose. They're growing well enough that I hope to have something to taste in a few months.

do not seal anything!

....too late. :(

At least I still have the windows that open.

Thanks Rick, that helps a lot. Appreciate the offer for the powder, but don't want to impose. They're growing well enough that I hope to have something to taste in a few months.
Hi Doc
Not an imposition I assure you... I put in 26 gochus this past spring, and got over 5 quarts of powder. I can spare a few tablespoons... ;) PM me your addy and I'll get it in the mail. Cheers!

Hi Doc
Not an imposition I assure you... I put in 26 gochus this past spring, and got over 5 quarts of powder. I can spare a few tablespoons... ;) PM me your addy and I'll get it in the mail. Cheers!

Awesome, man! If you would like some nuclear-hot powders, let me know!

This is something I never would have expected. A couple of the plants I just up-potted this past weekend from germinating cells are budding. The plants aren't that big, maybe six to seven inches from the surface of the soil to the top.

Pasilla Bajio:

bajio.jpg

bajiobud.jpg

PI281317:

pi.jpg

PIbuds.jpg

Is this because they were nearly root-bound in the starter cells?

I don't know why this happens. I've had plants half that size start budding.

I used to think it was the length of the days getting shorter but apparently that's not it.

I've also heard its when the roots have filled the container but that doesn't sound right to me either.

Something tells the plant its time to get going making fruit. I think it has to do with temperature, nutrients, or other environmental conditions, and the plant doesn't feel there is any possibility or a need to get any bigger? If you want to change its behaviour I think you have to change the conditions the plant is in.

Wish I had an answer for you.

edit: unlike some other types of plants Chillies keep on veg growing whilst they are flowering.

Thanks, MM. They were just recently up-potted, so maybe they will change their behavior.

On a different note, the PI281317 is supposed to be a chinense. Looks like an annuum to me. I wonder if I mixed some seeds up somehow?

Hi Doc
The Annuums did that for me too when I had them indoors under lights and they were about the same size. I wanted them to put their energy into growing roots rather than fruit at that stage, so I just pinched off the flower buds (being careful not to pinch off leaves as well) until I planted them outside and they got to be at least a foot tall.
If you want to really stimulate root growth, sprinkle a teaspoon of 50/50 epsom salts and rock phosphate on top of the soil around the plants and use rainwater or add a teaspoon of vinegar to the tapwater you use to water the plants. Rainwater is naturally mildly acidic (carbonic acid from the CO2 in the atmosphere), so when using tapwater, I add a little vinegar to neutralize the Chlorine and acidify the water so it dissolves the nutes and washes them down to the roots. A little goes a long way though, so don't overdo it! One application should be enough, you don't want to acidify the soil too much.

Hi Doc
The Annuums did that for me too when I had them indoors under lights and they were about the same size. I wanted them to put their energy into growing roots rather than fruit at that stage, so I just pinched off the flower buds (being careful not to pinch off leaves as well) until I planted them outside and they got to be at least a foot tall.
If you want to really stimulate root growth, sprinkle a teaspoon of 50/50 epsom salts and rock phosphate on top of the soil around the plants and use rainwater or add a teaspoon of vinegar to the tapwater you use to water the plants. Rainwater is naturally mildly acidic (carbonic acid from the CO2 in the atmosphere), so when using tapwater, I add a little vinegar to neutralize the Chlorine and acidify the water so it dissolves the nutes and washes them down to the roots. A little goes a long way though, so don't overdo it! One application should be enough, you don't want to acidify the soil too much.

Great trick. It should work on tomatoes as well, because both are nightshades and both like slightly acidic soil.

Plants are hooting along, Doc! Awesome work! :onfire:

And I know I already commented on it but that greenhouse you built is the schnitzel! :cool: Even though I don't need one... I WANT ONE! :D

I always just let my plants bud and do their thing if they think it's time. I've tried pinching in the past and the little buggers would always go and just start budding again a couple days later. I dunno... to me it seems chillies do a great job of producing and still growing at the same time anyway, especially young plants.

And I know I already commented on it but that greenhouse you built is the schnitzel! :cool: Even though I don't need one... I WANT ONE! :D

I always just let my plants bud and do their thing if they think it's time. I've tried pinching in the past and the little buggers would always go and just start budding again a couple days later. I dunno... to me it seems chillies do a great job of producing and still growing at the same time anyway, especially young plants.

Maybe if you had one gas with mesh windows you wouldn't have your fruit fly issues ???

You know.... :think: how has this not occured to me!?

Although, even with mesh, I would think that it would still get awfully hot in there in summer?

Line the entire inside with flyscreen, or whatever mesh and simply pop out some or all of the panels around the walls during summer and put them back in during winter. Not only will it protect them from fruit fly but stop any major damage from the storm season!!

Anyway sorry docnrock for the thread hijack!!

Your set up looks like it is going from strength to strength !! Long may continue!!

Thanks, Gassy. Seedlings are really growing in there. Some of the smaller ones are kind of lagging with less light, but they'll pick up when we get some more sun. I'm not going to pinch anything. If flowers form, they'll probably fall off. If they do form pods, I'll pinch those for now. If the Pasilla Bajio forms a pod, poor plant will probably fall over!

Line the entire inside with flyscreen, or whatever mesh and simply pop out some or all of the panels around the walls during summer and put them back in during winter. Not only will it protect them from fruit fly but stop any major damage from the storm season!!

Anyway sorry docnrock for the thread hijack!!

Your set up looks like it is going from strength to strength !! Long may continue!!

Thanks Trippa, and no worries. Glad something I did could inspire an idea. I posted support for this on Gassy's Glog.

Back