• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

does anyone remove peppers after cooking?

i have seen many recipes on the internet where the chefs initially use hot peppers then discard them and continue on cooking. i have also seen it done with garlic - i always just chop and cook.

aside from no seeds, what other benefits would there be to removing the chili during the cooking process? would it make the dish less hot? or once the capsaicin oil is released into the cooking, that's it the heat value stands.

or in some cultures, does the eater actually look forward to finding the whole ripe chili as a treat during eating....much like the tequila drinker finally reaching the agave worm in his mezcal bottle. or eating the hard crisp rice cake that is left at the bottom of cooking rice(that one i couldn't believe, i was run over by a heard of vietnamese in my own house, just to have a piece of this hard crusty rice).

just curious.

NO FLOATERS!

floater.jpg

Cooks/Chefs at a restaurant/hotel have to care more about.. well, everything related to the meal than we usually do at home. So if this recipe is by one of them, it might be the case.
It have to not just taste good but smell good, have the right density, texture, color, temperature and also look nice. Especially if it is one of the better places. If they would leave the whole garlic/pepper in it, they still have flavor (with mushy texture) and it would kinda ~ruin the whole picture. Most people don't want to bite on them, just feel it in the meal. It is kind of like a masterpiece of an art. Now it does not mean that what most people who cook at home do a bad thing, no..you know whats in your food and you know how You like it and you don't have to sell it :)
Otherwise it might be just too hot for someone, leaving the whole pepper in. I would rather put two peppers instead of one in my meal than pick them out:)

It depends on what I'm making. For example, spicy chocolate I take peppers out of it to avoid odd crunchy and sometimes bad tasting pieces. Same with soup, to avoid some parts that are just too dangerous to handle. Other things, like curry, no I don't.

My post is an inside joke of a member that put a whole pepper in baked beans overnight, and then took it out, thinking it made them spicy.

NOT cooked with them.

:lol:

I call it a floater, and it's banned on this forum.

you guys kill me! but none of you are east indian/pakistani women with your own internet show! they are the ones removing the fried chili. 

ya, that donald sutherland face/scream scared me when it first came out, maybe i shouldn't attempt to remove chilis from my meals in case of nightmares!

i never called them floaters before but that is because i chop the shit out them. like to night i made chilli, saw goatsweed and said oh ya, that will kick it up a notch. then i got to thinking, what if i don't dice the goatsweed, just slice them in half and toss them in. then when i am eating my chilli, which i don't think came from chile(sorry couldn't help myself), and saw them halved after cooking i could eat them whole, giving me that tequila experience(my red worm). then i posted this and went back to my normal procedure, mince the shit out of them and toss it into the sauce!

eyes are still dripping....but what if i found a halfer and bit into it. how would that have tasted.... like a floater!

Burning Colon said:
you guys kill me! but none of you are east indian/pakistani women with your own internet show! they are the ones removing the fried chili. 

ya, that donald sutherland face/scream scared me when it first came out, maybe i shouldn't attempt to remove chilis from my meals in case of nightmares!

i never called them floaters before but that is because i chop the shit out them. like to night i made chilli, saw goatsweed and said oh ya, that will kick it up a notch. then i got to thinking, what if i don't dice the goatsweed, just slice them in half and toss them in. then when i am eating my chilli, which i don't think came from chile(sorry couldn't help myself), and saw them halved after cooking i could eat them whole, giving me that tequila experience(my red worm). then i posted this and went back to my normal procedure, mince the shit out of them and toss it into the sauce!

eyes are still dripping....but what if i found a halfer and bit into it. how would that have tasted.... like a floater!

What in the Sam Hell are you talking about?

Tequila has no worm.

That's Mezcal.

If you're drunk posting....

Well then I like it!

I personally love to leave the chiles in all my dishes, its a treat to bit into a chile and taste its juicy flavor, if its chopped or blended up something I still love the burst of flavor when it enters my mouth.

Sheesh, I've not re-wined enough to keep up with this conversation....

be back laterz~~~

Ok, I'll be the lone dissenter on this - but only under limited circumstances. The fact is that no one else who lives with or visits me can take the heat levels I can, so I have to be careful if I want other people to eat what I cook. Even then, however, I don't usually remove anything - I just start with less. (I've still had my "oops" moments, though... :lol:  ) On the other hand, if I make a big batch of something intended to be two or more meals and in eating it find it's at that point of it's-going-to-be-too-hot-for-others-if-I-leave-the-pepper-pieces-in, I'll remove the pepper pieces (if they're not chopped too finely) before putting the rest into the fridge or freezer. Mind you, I'll usually make a separate container for myself that doesn't have them removed, but I do try to be at least somewhat considerate of others.... most of the time!

I'd like to think it depends of what your making...
Obviously salsas, jellies, soups, chili, it goes great along with the texture and I would never remove just chop and add.
But if you were doing like a spicy alfredo cream sauce for seafood and linguini or something you might not want that texture or if you were using a super hot like the ghost pepper or Trinidad scorpion you might want to cook in for a certain amount of time for a desired amount them take it out.
Obviously most of us love heat and all that but most people can only handle so much.
But I feel like its mainly a texture thing... although you could always puree them then add back in!!!

I do remove peppers to some degree in some of my dishes.
   example: When I make my own General Tso's chicken and use my Thai hots when making it and I pull the majority out. After several years of eating my scotch bonnets and jam. hot chocs. I've learned to enjoy the flavors that a somewhat milder pepper can bring to a dish and leave a few to munch on during the meal with rice.
  :drooling:

OhioHeat

Back