• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Does being concerned about cruelty to animals mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... one ignores/doesn't care about human suffering/issues at all?

There was this mouse thread on one of the other boards, where people suggested using glue traps. I pointed out that they're excessively cruel, and how it's not really right to let an animal suffer/be tortured. But then when you get commets like "I would probably just free if, if I could unstick it with a stick, if it's too stuck on to the trap, then I'd let it starve..", and "IMO it doesn't deserve a quick swift death..." ... well, one wonders if there are actually any nice people here. I then get told this:

Human decency starts with spending your time on the human suffering in the world, not the suffering of our pests. Since you choose to ignore the suffering of your own species in favor of vermin I have to conclude you're one of those feel-good types that just wants to distract themselves from something else their conscience won't let rest, without really caring if it makes any real difference in the larger scheme of things.

I was wondering how caring about something so relatively insignificant means that I ignore what goes on with the human race. What's your take on this? Does being opposed to unnecessary animal cruelty, and disliking animals suffering means you don't care about humans?

I had a crow in my front yard not that long ago with a broken wing. shattered. Huge bird, clearly suffering. 1 shot from my Ruger 10/22 later and it was no longer suffering. To me it was as simple as that - the crow was a jerk - always making a racket in my yard, not one of my favorite creatures. But I saw no reason to let it suffer.

I have had to have pets euthanized and unfortunately I will do so again at some point.

and if I kill mice or rats at my house it will be with traps or poison, both are a reasonably quick death. I am not partial to sticky traps.

So to answer, no - animals are animals, people are peple and I am concerned about cruelty in general.

The quote that you referenced was nothing more than an opinion, an assumption and a judgement. I would not give that individual a second thought. Don't let it bother you..The way in which you treat others, animals included, is a reflection of what is in your heart. Don't apologize for it...

What's next, feeling sorry for coackroaches that are under attack by ants and are suffering a cruel death at the hands of the ants? Give me a break.

i lost 21 chickens in ten days due to racoons that was very cruel to my wallet and my ranch. i trapped the coons and shot them! and im glad im not having to throw chickens into the swamp everyday that got wasted because some coon wanted just to bite there necks when they are roosting and leaving there bodys for me to despose of. no more eggs from that bird or i dont get to eat it. but im sure you will say that was cruel to the racoon. not to mention all of the egg customers i lost!

Completely agree with lil here society has made people soft. I heard the other day that one of my cousins doesn't eat bacon anymore because they heard that a pig has the intellect of a 2 year old... I laughed so hard I nearly cried, why would anyone sympathize an animal to a human toddler they are just not the same.

In all this I do believe there is animal cruelty out there but it's more got to do with starving livestock or mistreatment of a pet.

Nothing is more important than the health of humans.

Everthing else is moot....especially disease carrying rodents!

The better question is, what is more cruel....a human trapping a mouse in a glue trap or a mouse infecting a human with the bubonic plague, hantavirus or rabies?

I also try to avoid unecessary cruelty. In the case of mice, I prefer the electrocution traps. Ironically, the most cruel fate is the most natural: running into my cat, who seems to truly enjoy slowand deliberate dismemberment of whatever he happens to catch (mouse, vole, rabbit, etc.).

While we're on the subject of morals and cruelty, I find that a lot of people who claim to be against animal cruelty are against hunting, yet are OK with eating meat out of high density cattle farms/feedlots where the cows live shoulder to shoulder, knee-deep in their own feces. Meanwhile, deer at least get to enjoy a long outdoor life and all of a sudden (with a 'clean shooting' hunter), they simply drop dead instantly. Not such a bad life - eternal freedom from a first-person perspective met by a a sudden and often painless death, depending on who is sitting behind the trigger.

In the end though, humans turn out to be omnivores, and as is normal in nature, something down the food chain is going to encounter some degree of suffering because we have to eat. Tigers eat gazelles who are minding their own business, afterall.

Personally, I'm 98% vegan, but have absolutely no ill feelings towards people who eat meat regularly (I do eat free range, local beef once a week - gotta get those B-vitamins!). The only reason I don't hunt now is because I couldn't possibly consume all the meat from a deer within a reasonable amount of time.

$0.02

What's next, feeling sorry for coackroaches that are under attack by ants and are suffering a cruel death at the hands of the ants? Give me a break.

People like you are the reason why I weep for humanity. You addressed absolutely nothing with my post, and instead made incredibly stupid, condescending statements that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Obviously human acts with intent behind them are different to what a simple ant would do, and I find it very sus that you'd launch into this (and the other thread) after dismantling Dave2000. You're not fooling anyone, Dave.

Wildfire said:
Completely agree with lil here society has made people soft. I heard the other day that one of my cousins doesn't eat bacon anymore because they heard that a pig has the intellect of a 2 year old... I laughed so hard I nearly cried, why would anyone sympathize an animal to a human toddler they are just not the same.

Nothing hard or tough about mistreating animals either. In fact, I would argue making an animal suffer rather than putting it out of its misery is a cowardly thing to do. And yes, there are some animals out there with the intelligence of a toddler. Mainly primates and dolphins, exceptionally intelligent lifeforms.

Jules, did you come here only to question our humanity towards animals or do you have an interest in peppers?

Actually writing up a long, long post about all the kinds that I like, and the places I have visited to try some of them out. I'm sure you'll like it. :)

Actually writing up a long, long post about all the kinds that I like, and the places I have visited to try some of them out. I'm sure you'll like it. :)

Then please do that, show us your interest in our common hobby then start to throw your beliefs on animal cruelty onto the rest of us.

The better question is, what is more cruel....a human trapping a mouse in a glue trap or a mouse infecting a human with the bubonic plague, hantavirus or rabies?

Not the topic of discussion. And the two situations aren't always locked. For instance, even using a glue trap, you can still contract said diseases. Or the animal may not even have the disease. You are also assuming that you have to use these traps to avoid said disease. Thus, your question is completely silly and seems to be intended for shit stirring.

Would like to know how many cases of rabies have been caused from mice, because they are not particularly well known for carrying it. Think you'll be hard pressed to find rabies-releated incidents from them in the US.

I believe in causing as little harm to animals as possible, but I am not against swatting a fly or wasp, nor am I against hunting or shooting a varmint. Essentially, any animal that I deem worthy of death is to be killed in the most painless, swift way possible. I will not shoot a deer unless I can deliver a perfectly clean kill. I will not abide anyone who causes animals undue pain. However, I am a human, and therefore, I put the interest of humans first. If an animal damages a human's way of life, I generally deign to protect my own. It is that simple.

Not the topic of discussion. And the two situations aren't always locked. For instance, even using a glue trap, you can still contract said diseases. Or the animal may not even have the disease. You are also assuming that you have to use these traps to avoid said disease. Thus, your question is completely silly and seems to be intended for shit stirring.

Would like to know how many cases of rabies have been caused from mice, because they are not particularly well known for carrying it. Think you'll be hard pressed to find rabies-releated incidents from them in the US.

One could argue that your posts are naught but "shit-stirring".

I believe in causing as little harm to animals as possible, but I am not against swatting a fly or wasp, nor am I against hunting or shooting a varmint. Essentially, any animal that I deem worthy of death is to be killed in the most painless, swift way possible. I will not shoot a deer unless I can deliver a perfectly clean kill. I will not abide anyone who causes animals undue pain. However, I am a human, and therefore, I put the interest of humans first. If an animal damages a human's way of life, I generally deign to protect my own. It is that simple.

Agreed.

One could argue that your posts are naught but "shit-stirring".

Despite the extremely valid point in them re: excessive cruelty. This lil person is intentionally being condescending, so it's not hard to pick out.

And I tend to point out ignorance in humans when possible. The question again is, what is more important, humans or rodents?

Here's another question for you Jules:

What do animal rights activists(supposedly vegetarians), gay rights activists, and the KKK all have in common?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back