• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Does my bhut jolokia look mature enough to start hardening off outdoors??

RedF said:
What do you mean by 10F? The days are at least 85 degrees here and 75 at night, only on the occasional cold front does the temperature get down to 50s during night.

Cripes, that slightly sickening!
I never realized how warm is stays down there in the winter.  Only now do I fully understand how the growers in South Dakota, etc. look upon those of us in Socal, Arizona and Texas.  I think I hate you!  :P

Your climate is pepper heaven!  Get that guy outside asap!  You'll be chomping fire by March.

And, if it's not already obvious, "You can't plant just one!"  ;)  What's the next variety you'll be starting?  :D

Geonerd said:

Cripes, that slightly sickening!
I never realized how warm is stays down there in the winter.  Only now do I fully understand how the growers in South Dakota, etc. look upon those of us in Socal, Arizona and Texas.  I think I hate you!  :P

Your climate is pepper heaven!  Get that guy outside asap!  You'll be chomping fire by March.

And, if it's not already obvious, "You can't plant just one!"  ;)  What's the next variety you'll be starting?  :D
Yes lol,the cold fronts dont usually start hitting until February, and even then its not exactly subzero weather.

The grow list for January is:

Bhut White
Bhut Chocolate
Hab Chocolate
7 pot yellow brain
White Fatali
Aji Panca

RedF said:
Yes lol,the cold fronts dont usually start hitting until February, and even then its not exactly subzero weather.

The grow list for January is:

Bhut White
Bhut Chocolate
Hab Chocolate
7 pot yellow brain
White Fatali
Aji Panca

Cool!  Yellow Brainstrains are one of my favorite stupid-hots.

Apart from outright wilting, look out for the leaves getting 'bleached' by the sun.  A few of my very little ones are looking a bit pale after I sorta forgot about them this afternoon.  :(   They'll be fine, but are no doubt a bit stressed out...

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread. Every time I see the headline I think - "Does my Bhut Jolokia make this Dress look too big?" or something like that. And then when you throw in the word "Hardening", well that's just more than I can mentally handle at this point while staying sorta PC.

So bye.

(Merry Christmas All) :P

mecdave said:
I'm sorry, I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread. Every time I see the headline I think - "Does my Bhut Jolokia make this Dress look too big?" or something like that. And then when you throw in the word "Hardening", well that's just more than I can mentally handle at this point while staying sorta PC.

So bye.

(Merry Christmas All) :P
oh wow, thats funny. completely unintentional though.
Geonerd said:

Cool!  Yellow Brainstrains are one of my favorite stupid-hots.

Apart from outright wilting, look out for the leaves getting 'bleached' by the sun.  A few of my very little ones are looking a bit pale after I sorta forgot about them this afternoon.  :(   They'll be fine, but are no doubt a bit stressed out...
is the brain strain plant more sensitive?

RedF said:

is the brain strain plant more sensitive?

Maybe, but don't worry about it.
Compared to annums, the chinense varieties (all of yours, I think) do seem a bit more sensitive to both heat and cold.  For example, my cayenne plants are still flowering here and there but my super-hots stopped months ago.  Cool temps may stress the plants to a different degree but, AFAIK, only a freeze will kill a pepper.  In that regard I think they're all equally sensitive.

RedF said:
Ha, I'm still here. Just kidding around last night. Beer may have been a factor.

Back on track. Last summer before it got too hot, I decided to sow some superhots. Once they got a little bigger than those in your first photo, they went straight from florescent lighting in my almost too hot workshop to tree shade without any hardening off and without any ill effects. They seemed almost grateful and put on rapid growth.

Of course YMMV, but the change in environments really wasn't all that different, so they were able to take it in stride.

mecdave said:
Ha, I'm still here. Just kidding around last night. Beer may have been a factor.

Back on track. Last summer before it got too hot, I decided to sow some superhots. Once they got a little bigger than those in your first photo, they went straight from florescent lighting in my almost too hot workshop to tree shade without any hardening off and without any ill effects. They seemed almost grateful and put on rapid growth.

Of course YMMV, but the change in environments really wasn't all that different, so they were able to take it in stride.
I know what you mean, ive been hardening off for two days, and its almost as if they prefer it outside, they seem to be thriving. Theyre in direct sunlight too.

Back