• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Does Pod Shape matter when selecting seeds

I have a Butch T which yields very good. i want to keep seeds of it. some Pods is Typical Butch T and others looks like a moruga.

will different pods produce true offspring to the pod  or does it not matter.

Thanks

1935831_113650045677171_1148740930317595644_n.jpg

rghm1u20 said:
YES.
Typical seeds will produce mostly typical pods. Not necessary 100%, but most of it.
Selecting a specific shape, generation after generation, will lead to a stable shape.
Thanks alot. i appreciate it

Martino said:

will different pods produce true offspring to the pod  or does it not matter.

It depends on how the flower was pollenated. If it was pollenated by a different plant, then no, that fruit will not produce true offspring. If it was self pollenated, then it will basically be the same as all the others (that were also self pollenated).
     In short, there's no way of knowing until you grow it out. Grow as many as you can to increase your chances of getting what you want.
     If your plant (or flower) was isolated, there is less chance of cross-pollination. 

I wrote a long passage about a small round pod having seeds that will produce the same plants that a massive wrinkled pod from the same plant would provided the pollination was identical.  but like I always seem to have, the page managed to get cleared...

Needless to say, Every pod on a plant pollinated by the same source should make identical baby plants.. However I believe that the individual pod 'Can' affect the resulting seed DNA, but I have nothing to prove this in any way.

KrakenPeppers said:
I wrote a long passage about a small round pod having seeds that will produce the same plants that a massive wrinkled pod from the same plant would provided the pollination was identical.  but like I always seem to have, the page managed to get cleared...

Needless to say, Every pod on a plant pollinated by the same source should make identical baby plants.. However I believe that the individual pod 'Can' affect the resulting seed DNA, but I have nothing to prove this in any way.
Thanks man. I thought i messed up. I am a newby. I did put every plants seeds together. tnks again
Hybrid Mode 01 said:

It depends on how the flower was pollenated. If it was pollenated by a different plant, then no, that fruit will not produce true offspring. If it was self pollenated, then it will basically be the same as all the others (that were also self pollenated).
     In short, there's no way of knowing until you grow it out. Grow as many as you can to increase your chances of getting what you want.
     If your plant (or flower) was isolated, there is less chance of cross-pollination. 
Thanks for your input. I am kicking myself. I planted my Butch T, Carolina Reaper and Ghost Peppers close to one another, about 2-3 Feet. One of the seeds i am growing shows a mix between Ghost and Butch T. Looks like I must start over.

Depends. In this case I'd say no, because you mention that the plant sometimes makes pods that look like regular butch T. If there were two plants though, and one made butch T shaped pods and another Moruga, then you'd pick the one that you wanted the next generation to look like. In this case the reason for the difference is probably environmental, and you'd get the same average plant no matter which pod you chose.

Well, I have sent a pod of a Red Caribbean pepper to a guy, he sow some seeds, and get a plant. The plant produced different pods (not like Red Caribbean), it looks the pepper sent by me was the result of a cross pollination. On that plant, one pod had a strange shape, different from all others. Now I have few seeds of this in the dirt. let's see what they will grow  :)

I tend to select the best looking or ideal pod pheno's when saving seeds for private use or growing.  Generally selecting a certain type of pheno trait and growing from those seeds can influence future generations but it would take many generations to influence the desired pheno you are looking for. 

cheers

cruzzfish said:
Depends. In this case I'd say no, because you mention that the plant sometimes makes pods that look like regular butch T. If there were two plants though, and one made butch T shaped pods and another Moruga, then you'd pick the one that you wanted the next generation to look like. In this case the reason for the difference is probably environmental, and you'd get the same average plant no matter which pod you chose.

rghm1u20 said:
Well, I have sent a pod of a Red Caribbean pepper to a guy, he sow some seeds, and get a plant. The plant produced different pods (not like Red Caribbean), it looks the pepper sent by me was the result of a cross pollination. On that plant, one pod had a strange shape, different from all others. Now I have few seeds of this in the dirt. let's see what they will grow  :)

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     For SCIENCE!!! Just make sure the seeds you grow weren't the product of cross pollination too.

Buzzman19 said:
I tend to select the best looking or ideal pod pheno's when saving seeds for private use or growing.  Generally selecting a certain type of pheno trait and growing from those seeds can influence future generations but it would take many generations to influence the desired pheno you are looking for. 

cheers

I bought Butch T and only one pod between about 50 in total on the tree is looking like a Butch T.
I think i must just buy seeds seeds from the creator then. its a hard lesson learned, spend the money, grow your plants and then eventually they are all different. (just feeling sorry for myself - I will get over it)
thanks for your replys

Bought - should be a guarantee for purity.
Seed exchange - depending on what the partner stated. I say if OP or not. For OP seeds, you can expect failure too (though sometime the failure is a new, great looking pod).

I save my seeds from the best phenol shape that I'm looking for, from the strongest and healthiest plants.
Butch T's will show some pods that are off phenol that will look like a Moruga type pod early when the plant is starting to produce pods and sometimes when the plant is under stress or is sickly.  I had two Butch T's plants  one that was a strong healthy plant while the other was a small week plant the better one threw out pods that were true to phenol while the weaker one had just a few pods that looked right and the rest were off phenol.
Having said that, I have seen just the reverse with the strongest and best plant showing more off phenol pods, also the weather can play a big part on how your plant will grow and what the pods will look like.
If you still feel that the plants might be a cross  rather than a true Butch T. I would look for a more reliable Vendor to get seeds or plants from.

Depends on how many generations you want to grow out. You can enrich a population for a certain phenotype over time, if you select for the desired phenotype at every generation. Over numerous generations you will enrich for that phenotype, but it is a similar prospect to making a new hybrid, then growing out and selecting. For example, the Brain Strain was selected for over numerous generations from the original red 7-pot from Trinidad. 

Will it matter for next year? Not really, no. 

I just checked my Over WIntered Butch-T , Just sarting to pod up the same as last year... I'm very happy with its consistency ... As far as I'm concerned its a perect Butch - T plant

I dont know the answer, but reguardless if pod shape carries over in that pods seeds or not, I only keep seeds from pods that are the size and shape I think best represents the pepper variety. Maybe pointless, but it isnt hurting me to do it that way

My brown moruga plant last year had a few pods that just stood out as BROWN MORUGA and a LOT that looked not so much.. I only kept seeds from the best 3 pods on the entire years harvest of that plant. I don't need but a couple seeds for myself anyway.

Any reading I have ever done about seed saving says take the biggest, healthiest looking pods.. if the DNA isnt different from pod to pod, what would it matter

Back