• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dolomite

A friend of mine is a distributor of pharmaceutical supplies. He would be happy to give me a bucket of Dolomite (I'll assume pharma grade). Many of my plants show signs of calcium, magnesium deficiency.
Would dolomite be beneficial?

I'll post photos of the plants as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks!

Thank you OKGrowin! It is in powder form. Any idea as to what ratio? The plants are 3 months old.

I'm not going to bother posting pics.

I'd be interested to know the ratio as well. From what I've read on other posts I think it's 1sp per gallon? Can someone confirm? 

ColdSmoke said:
The internet sells those things
True! Buildasoil.com has everything you need and kelp4less has quite a bit as well. I can't see where finding compost would be that difficult.
Dolomite is slow to break down so oyster shell meal would be my first choice followed by any of the other crustacean meals like crab meal which I used to balance the acidity of the peat moss in my mix.

Delta said:
Thank you OKGrowin! It is in powder form. Any idea as to what ratio? The plants are 3 months old.
I'm not going to bother posting pics.
Koreansoul said:
I'd be interested to know the ratio as well. From what I've read on other posts I think it's 1sp per gallon? Can someone confirm?
Well dolomite will raise your soil PH so you need to be careful you aren't going to make your already stable soil go too alkaline and make your plants go into nutrient lockout.

1 tbsp per gallon of soil(note i'm sayin soil, not water) is what i used for my 5-1-1, raises ph by about 1.

Very useful information. Thank you all. I'll do my homework before using dolomite.

Do oyster shell or crab meal raise the ph as well?

Yup, though I believe crabshell buffers at 1/4-1/5 strength of something like oyster or limestone. Currently curing soil with the 1-1-2 (dolo-gypsum-oyster/limestone) mix popularized by Steve Solomon through CC et al.

Random information, cottonseal meal, besides coming from a GMO/pesticide heavy industry, will acidfy soil if used as a large portion of a meal mixture.

Delta said:
Very useful information. Thank you all. I'll do my homework before using dolomite.

Do oyster shell or crab meal raise the ph as well?

They also add calcium so you won't have to listen to the mantra of the Cal-Mag cult. :rofl: :P

It is almost impossible to raise your soil PH over 7 with Dolomite lime.It is stabilized at 7.Once it hits 7 it stays there.
The downside of to much lime would be to much cal and mag.
Dont be afraid of dolomite,its good stuff.

Back