• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dorset Naga and Peppers in general ripening colors

I have a dorset naga plant grown 100% indoors that grew 3 peppers and took forever for just the first one to change from green to yellow.  does the chili pepper go then from yellow to red or is this the final color?

http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1458853113686-1554109022_zpseeha2unf.jpg.html?o=0

Also, i put some peppers outside today as it has been nice out, it doesnt seem like itll go under 45 degrees anymore, is it ok to keep the peppers outside now?  80 degree out right now.

But most importantly as people tend to only answer one question or the other per post, will my yellow dorset naga turn red?

Thanks

dorset nagas usually go straight to red. just like red bhuts.

yes it's ok to put them outside. just watch the low temp in case you have a cold snap.

juanitos said:
dorset nagas usually go straight to red. just like red bhuts.

yes it's ok to put them outside. just watch the low temp in case you have a cold snap.
so is this a yellow strain or did i mix up my placards as seedlings?

juanitos said:
i don't know.... 
either seed vendor mixed up
or seed vendor did not isolate
or you mixed up
i just ate half of that yellow one and my mouth is on fire!  few seeds though

by the way, how cold in farenheight can it get outside before i need to bring them back in?

thanks

Northpole69 said:

by the way, how cold in farenheight can it get outside before i need to bring them back in?

thanks
You play a huge risk with temp in April, Mother's Day is usually a very safe bet. 

What i've read/experienced so far, is when it is reliably 50 deg f or higher at night is when it is good to put them out. I wanted to put some of mine out last night, but we have some nights getting to 49 deg. And since I only sprouted one big jim for the contest (click), I don't want to take my chances just yet. Usually in So Cal we can put our plants out around March 20th... depending.

PS: don't forget to acclimate them to the sun's intensity!

Northpole69 said:

thanks

that's fine. anything below 40 is bad

like chris said it is a risk, just check forecast and bring them into your garage at night if its near or below 40

I grew in Virginia for most of my life

I can say not to trust the weather temperature forecast at all because Virginia's climate is a schizophrenic sorceress.

I lost 10 overwinters a few years ago because I left them outside on a night that wasn't supposed to get lower than 45.  It was 25 when I woke up and they were dead.  May 1 is usually ok but Mother's Day is a good rule of thumb.

Mine stayed green for ever. When the weather got too cold I had to cut it down. Despite the chillies were still green, they were still pretty hot, so that was good.

Back