• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dot Com's 2014 balcony grow

just gettin' ye old Glog started as I have some over winters & this late sprout from last season that I crowned last week:

12293641423_f4688ff46a.jpg

dlsolo said:
Can't wait to see those barrackpore start turning.

Things look great. Healthy looking plants.
same here. Never ate one of them before. Tried sprouting some last season but it didn't work out.

Anyway, harvested my unknown today so that I could devote more patio-space to my knowns. This is the one that had 50/50 phenotype results.

15181444165_60df0c239f_c.jpg

PIC 1 said:
The unknown has all kinds of 7 Pot traits. The pod on the bottom left looks nice and nasty. 
looks kind of like the pepper in your avie from a diff angle. Yep, Trinidaddy-ish characteristics.

just got the courage up to eat some of this pod. Reason I was reluctant is that its been 2+ months since I've eaten any. :scared: Plus, this was from the plant that I ate my 1st pod from this season anyway. I'm waiting on my Barrackpores to ripen plus some Brains as well.

14997426127_cd91054f97_z.jpg

First 3 mins were a refresher course on why red hots aren't eaten by everybody!!! Didn't want to swallow. Chewed for a good 15 seconds to disperse it, Eyes watering, nose running. Tongue on fire.

After 6 mins, doing better. Just dealing w/ back of tongue and top of mouth burn, drool, and throat burn. Eyes stopped watering.

14997407298_64453b7c46_c.jpg

10 mins later and broke out the yogurt. sometimes I use whip cream but this one I didn't want to take any chances w/ stomach upset.

update on Brains & C-Not Madballz 7 Pot XL Pod

Brain not looking like the typical phenotype. Maybe it got crossed because it has 5+ pods that all look like this

15008094208_01b24d1f21_z.jpg

Unripe Red brain pod looking like the right phenotype:

15008097797_493139a8a5_c.jpg

CNot Madballz 7 Pot XL (see the bumps? :hell:  )

15191693501_b51032ba13.jpg

Just ate first C-Not Madballz 7-Pot XL pod of the season. This pepper burns the sides & back of the tongue as opposed to the tip, made me drool like crazy and hiccups for a minute or two: Bright burn w/ scorching throat burn.

15218682235_f651c0a7de_z.jpg

ate the side w/ all the placenta;

15215601891_216dfc4c37_z.jpg

Glad i typed this, as the heat was building, as it took my mind of the scalding ;) :P

just finished the "after effects" ;) of eating tha last superhot

Next- can't wait to try this ripening Barrackpore then, hopefully, that one Red Brain & possibly a Yellow Brain

15228559455_42c33bb8c5_c.jpg

Another shot of same pod:

15205524876_ce1d0367e7_c.jpg

This one pod on Yellow Brain plant has a thin woody area on the skin. Anybody familiar w/ this? The other 3-4 pods on the plant seem ok though

15205524406_15553e8980_c.jpg

Spicegeist said:
That little spot on the yellow pepper looks like sun scald.

Nice little harvests for such a small space, great work!
that had not occurred to me & it makes sense because I haven't seen any pest bugs around. I had heard that term tossed around and had forgot about it. It has been in the 90's around here for days on end this season. Thanks.

Here's a pod that I'm supposed to taste test tonight from the above plant:

15145073498_29c09e31ae_z.jpg

Same pod but more typical view:

15144896559_789e9a3deb_z.jpg

just got around to eating the above barackpore cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Been waiting a year and a half for this as i tried to grow them last season w/ no luck.

anyway, my last two taste tests had heat, firstly on the tip of the tongue, then the next pepper had heat on the sides of the tongue. This pepper had hella' heat down the center of tongue and boy was it hot.  :onfire: No real head rush though. I think i need to stop surfing the web as I'm taste testing so that i don't get preoccupied but sometimes thats all I can do to get through the heat is create a diversion of some sort.

Did my usual full meal first followed by 1/2 a PBJ sammich. then had yogurt, at the ready, for after the 10 min mark. Was able to pass the 10 min mark without eating the yogurt.

Turns out, was able to go 10 mins BUT, this pepper was still pretty darn hot right from out of the gate. No "building", it was just intense heat right from the start continuing on for the first 6 minutes then i was able to get a handle on it :D .

15353401742_323fcf1889_z.jpg

my solitary Red Brain Strain is ripening. I have a Yellow Brain Strain but it doesn't seem to be growing true to phenotype (see previous pic) & I have another Red Brain plant just is too young to produce any pods. One is enough for me this season when it comes to Brains. Prolly be fully ripe within the week?

15359575511_9bb082bcff_z.jpg

finally got around to tasting my first ever Red Brain Strain. Been putting it off for obvious reasons :mouthonfire:

15586397162_12d6827d13.jpg

you can see the capsacin juice on the knife blade :shocked:

14964818754_f39e3aa5fd_b.jpg

Ate the right half. First 30 secs of chewing made me think it might not be too bad then i swallowed it. :confused:  the next 45-60 seconds was hiccupping, entire tongue on fire :fireball:  and eyes watering. After a few mins, the initial shock died down & I was able to handle it. Now just the tongue and slow burn down the throat. No more sinus & hiccuping other than a slight nose run. I still wouldn't recommend it for someone who has not eaten one or two  superhots. in the past.

10 mins later- time for a yogurt :party:

Only pepper left for me to try, that I'm currently growing, is the Chocolate Scorpion i believe.

Very nice.  I have some isolated brain strain from a nice plant I grew a couple years ago... I think I'll grow it again in 2015.  Nothing like some of these crazy 7 Pots to spice things up!  :onfire:

Spicegeist said:
Very nice.  I have some isolated brain strain from a nice plant I grew a couple years ago... I think I'll grow it again in 2015.  Nothing like some of these crazy 7 Pots to spice things up!  :onfire:
they have a "bright" flavor as opposed to the Bhuts "smokey" (for lack of a better term) flavor. They are both good in their own right.

Last harvest of the season- Another Barackpore from my plant & one of 3 Choc 7-pot pods my first ever Choc 7-Pot plant. Wasn't sure if I was going to  get any pods off of it but got three. Don't know if it looks tru to phenotype. Will report back on heat index after chomping on it. Hope it it true to phenotype and hot.:

15497541407_021f7dc0e8_b.jpg

Might pic up a solitary clamp-type, light fixture to maybe overwinter two plants at most. Already have the curly bulb. Don't want to use my 4-footer flouro because it lights my whole room up and is bigger than i need for two plants.

That is actually a nice way to describe the difference.  You might not need more light to overwinter... won't it just encourage the plant to grow more than it should?

Spicegeist said:
That is actually a nice way to describe the difference.  You might not need more light to overwinter... won't it just encourage the plant to grow more than it should?
I'm not so well versed in over-wintering. What about watering? I decided to keep three. Might still cull one depending. I live in a small place.

As for my last official pic of the harvest here are (L-R) C-Not Madballz XL Pod, Guhahati, & Barrackpore.

15074922004_84b17a2412_c.jpg

Quite happy w/ the season's grow. Little to no sickness' or infestations (finger's crossed)

last test test of the season. The Choc Scorion. Cut it open & it has a respectable amt of placenta:

15541731390_7cc19285e1_c.jpg

15728142272_47b27f6e66_c.jpg

Pod walls were too thick & skin was not dimply enough to be a true phenotype and thus the pepper was no hotter than a habanero in my estimation :(
I had a suspicion that the plant had gotten adulterated/cross-pollinated when i saw the skin was real smooth. Then, when i cut it open today, I saw how thick the pod wall is which is a giveaway, at least in the pods I've taste-tested, that they aren't going to be that hot. It did burn the tongue a bit but nothing compared to the barrackpore, brain, or guhahati, etc...

Oh well. :(

Back