• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Double cup?

So I'm preparing for my first grow, and I'm seeing a lot of pictures of seedlings in double red solo cups. I assume there are holes in the inner cup? How does that work?

Do you put water/nutes in the bottom cup and then put the inner cup in without squishing the water out?
Do you soak the inner cups in a different container and after draining return to the non-hole outer cup?
Are the cups the same size solo cup or is the bottom cup bigger? Like a 12oz inside a 16oz?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Same size, inner cups have the holes...I do not use this method since I found a tray that can hold 48 solo cups and I just add my water/nutes to the tray. That allows me to eliminate a step of filling or having the outer cup. 

1617969_757625177604544_349962482_o.jpg

usually it's a clear cup inside another cup. The roots need darkness to grow but you can pull out the clear cup to take a quick look at root progress.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
To avoid fungal gnats and dampening off 

I gotcha, so by watering from the bottom, water never reaches the surface area, preventing the fungus gnats from laying their eggs, and it also prevents the fungus from growing. I suppose I can do this with large pots as well. Some of my plants are in 5 liter pots.

You can buy fairly heavy duty mortar trays at Lowes for like five bucks.  They fit about 24 solo cups.  Same idea as cup in cup but seems to me much less fuss.

Back