• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Down a mug of SMOKING BISHOP!

Here's a holiday drink we make every Christmas. It's mentioned by Dickens in A CHRISTMAS CARROL.

Smoking bishop

5 unpeeled, sweet oranges
1 unpeeled grapefruit
36 cloves
1/4 pound of sugar
2 bottles of red wine (strong)
1 bottle of port

Wash the fruit and bake them in the oven until
they are brownish. Turn once.
Put them into a warmed earthenware bowl with
six cloves pricked into each.
Add the sugar and pour in the wine - not the port.
Cover and leave in a warm place for a day.
Squeeze the fruit into the wine and strain.
Add the port and heat. DO NOT BOIL!

Serve "smoking hot" in small wine glasses.
Yield: 15 to 20 servings

I like to spike it with brandy as well.

Cheers!

You couldn't have posted this a few days ago so we could prep for this? Come on Chuk, you know were all drunks here! Now I'll have to do this for the New Years instead...yesh. :lol:

You say it serves 15-20...if I'm looking to get smashed...like I usually am...could this serve just 2 people?

We'll yeah, here it serves 2...me and my wife!

We'll be drinking this all day tomorrow...hopefully the Christmas vultures will show up!

drinking that for 2 people sounds like one of the worst hang overs imaginable. it sounds good, but my god, gotta have some limitations :)

I missed out on mulled wine this year, when I do have it I only have maybe half a pint max though (In amongst many cold beers). Usually get given it at our christmas pub quiz.

A cross between Sangria and potpourri.... hmmm.

I'm feeling a bit better now. A bit. Not much. I broke my mbile phone somehow, but am fairly convinced that I rang some mates whilst really, really, hammered which is never a good idea. Might get a new number. Know for a fact I made a fool of myself falling asleep on a curry house floor, spent way too much money and wondering what other indiscretions I committed.

Back