• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Dragon Fruit

And a little head up. The Australian Federal Government is moving to make illegal the trade in all peyote cacti in Australia (amounst many other things). So if you want to grow this very slow growing cactus, then you should buy your seeds online now while they are still avaiable.

And a little head up. The Australian Federal Government is moving to make illegal the trade in all peyote cacti in Australia (amounst many other things). So if you want to grow this very slow growing cactus, then you should buy your seeds online now while they are still avaiable.
We weren't talking about Peyote...

But nova was probably thinking it :rofl:
/jk

edit: On that note aren't the opuntias, like prickly pear or O. ficus-indica a invasive species here? Doubt you'd get any seeds or cutting through state lines/customs either for that species.

Edit2: Yes,
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=385167&intCommodityId=13699&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

Update on this nonsense... sort of where I'm at right now. This structure is surprisingly lightweight, though in retrospect I probably should have gone with the white PVC to cut down on heat buildup... hopefully once it's wrapped in burlap (deodorizing in the background) it will be reasonable.

IMGP1285.jpg

I might cut off a foot or so from the top, as 4 feet is probably more than enough for a plant I'll be moving around... plus it will make it slightly less top heavy. I'm no engineer but I'm hoping once bolted to the pot it will be fairly sturdy.

IMGP1286.jpg

The Vietnamese Red cutting just sprouted a couple epiphytic roots... I'll take that as a good sign.

I'd post a picture, but I have what feels like the plague. Took all the energy I had to get up and check on the plants after last night's storms.

Pic of the two little roots:
IMGP1323.jpg

This is what my pot looks like atm: I went ahead and bolted the main support to the bottom of a 9-gallon water garden pot; it's fairly sturdy while still being lightweight. Once filled with soil it'll be somewhat heavy but movable. Still waiting on some hemp rope to keep the burlap in place, but I'm about ready to transplant at this point. I'll worry about a top support as the plants grow, but I'm thinking I might repurpose a wagon wheel or steering wheel...

IMGP1321.jpg

And the final structure, more or less. I'll probably put some sort of mulch down to minimize water loss...

Now I just need to wait for them to start growing.

IMGP1358.jpg

Planted the American Beauty with the other two... its root system is already surprisingly large for the cutting size. I wouldn't be surprised if I see some growth on it soon. Also rigged up a shade cloth-like structure with some leftover burlap, as I've heard direct sun can scald the plants with excessive heat thrown into the mix.

IMGP1404.jpg

One thing I noticed, the American Beauty has a lot of nasty little thorns compared to the other Dragon Fruit varieties I've seen... just something to keep in mind.

It would seem two of my three cuttings are starting to grow new segments. The American Beauty has a little tuft of spines forming at its apex:

IMGP1452.jpg

... and the Vietnamese red has a small bud near the top:

IMGP1454.jpg

The Purple Haze cutting is shriveling up at the top, but otherwise seems healthy... I think it just got too much sun before I put a shade screen up.

New growth:

IMGP1541.jpg

I've also noticed multiple buds further down the stem... should I be picking these off? I've heard you should restrict the plant to one or two main vines before allowing it to branch, otherwise it becomes a tangled mess.

Hi synclinorium,

Definitely remove the lower segments if you want faster initial growth, you really want to grow them "single file" straight up the post, four each side of the post is the norm... then once at the top let them branch out and fall back to the ground this is the time they know when to flower. If you leave the growing segments your single file grow will slow, however... if you chose to leave them your now got to be thinking these guys are more cutting material let them grow say a foot long make the cut and instant cutting.

** If possible pm me... Id love to get seeds from those "American Beauty" "Purple Haze" or any other variety they are selling in the markets of ripe fruit. BB has massive Pitaya Farm :)

Hi synclinorium,

Definitely remove the lower segments if you want faster initial growth, you really want to grow them "single file" straight up the post, four each side of the post is the norm... then once at the top let them branch out and fall back to the ground this is the time they know when to flower. If you leave the growing segments your single file grow will slow, however... if you chose to leave them your now got to be thinking these guys are more cutting material let them grow say a foot long make the cut and instant cutting.

** If possible pm me... Id love to get seeds from those "American Beauty" "Purple Haze" or any other variety they are selling in the markets of ripe fruit. BB has massive Pitaya Farm :)

Sounds good... I got a couple Lake Atitlan cuttings too, but it'll be a while before they'll be doing anything. For that matter, a while before any of them set fruit... but I can probably save seeds when the time comes. I'm assuming that I'd need to isolate the blooms (though I can't imagine how I'd do this from their size)?

I have 3 different kinds, although I do not know what they are, cool blooms for sure. Ya see um growing up trees if ya look around enough...

This is on off the bigger Pink dragon fruit seedlings we have.

Sweet. My biggest plant is about the same size right now...

Incidentally, the Lake Atitlan cuttings sprouted roots faster than I expect, so I have one of them planted now and waiting on some growth to appear. Hoping they all survive so I can have white, pink, and red all growing in the same pot.

The American Beauty seems to be the slowest growing, though that's probably because it's the smallest cutting. The Vietnamese Red is shooting up and looks healthy.

I'm trying to think of the best way to get these sufficient light come winter, it's kind of awkward since they're growing all around the central support. I'm thinking I might make a hindged particle board with a few T5s attached vertically so the light distribution is pretty even, then place it near a south-facing window.

Figured I should also post a couple photos. These are the two largest cuttings, the Purple Haze on the left and Vietnamese Red on the right, though as mentioned by leaving two growing points on the Purple Haze its growth has been much slower. Once the right growth gets up to size I'll decide if I want to leave it or remove it and root it separately.

IMGP1575.jpg

My Kaffir (Markut/Thai) Lime is also doing exceptionally well, though its growth is more sprawling than the other citrus so I've been trying to prune it to shape... hasn't entirely been working, so I've been tying new growth in place until the stems lignify. It was wider than it was tall until recently. (and the growth isn't as yellow as it appears in the photo, it is in fact quite healthy)

IMGP1580.jpg

Sweet. Not going to happen around here unfortunately, so ebay it is.

I went a bit crazy on the cuttings and stuck a bunch more in the pot. I figure I'll just let them all grow for a bit and see which ones seem to have the least issues, then get rid of the rest (or, more likely, just keep them all and have a tangled mess on my hands... and rely heavily on foliar feeding once the epiphytic roots develop). Any that I don't have space for I can send out as cuttings later, though I obviously can't guarantee the variety will be true since these are after all mostly ebay purchases.

Right now I have Vietnamese Red, American Beauty, Purple Haze, Guyute, Lake Atitlan, and Natural Mystic, which brings me to 2 White, 2 Red, and 2 Purple... all supposedly self-pollinating too.

Its all starting to fire up here with lots of new growth on all my plants, Sun has a bit more bite in it!! I must get some pix up for you. synclinorium have you tried the Yellow type very sweet though not as large fruit super easy to grow.

The Dragon Fruits Rule :woohoo: !!!!!!!

Back