• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

Horayyyy for sprouts. sprouts sprouts everywhere

Edit: OH its official. You are going to have a hell of a season because I made the top of one of your pages. :dance: :dance: :dance:

I don't have the guts to pull or cut the seed top off. It looks like it is simply dehydrating and disintegrating. It has gotten taller. I think it looks good for a 6 day old sprout! I soaked the soil until the water dripped out, a few hours after my last post 2 days ago. I'm surprised how much it has dried out. Maybe the heat in my apartment is creating a very dry environment.

z3_zpsf32d43b5.jpg

The nine day old Moruga Scorpion (is it more appropriate to label it as a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion? Judy just called it a Moruga Scorpion Red) is looking good. I'm dying to start with a 1/2 dose of Cal-Mag, but will wait at least 2 more waterings as I don't want to burn the new roots:

9_zps6aa0f05f.jpg

10_zps3bd0c08e.jpg

Thanks,

I still haven't had anything else sprout, but am almost rooting for them not too. I don't want to have to use the space and resources to grow more than 1 plant indoors in my city apartment. Originally, my plan was to only grow only one, but as I became more and more worried about sprouting a superhot, I kept putting more seeds in soil and paper towels.

EDIT - This is all wrong. Please see my correction 3 posts down.

Some possibly disappointing news:

All the time, I thought that I was growing a Trinidad Scorpion Moruga blend, as I did order this from Judy, (http://www.pepperlover.com) but I had labeled my Ziploc of these seeds simply, "Moruga red," as I thought this is what the original seed pack was labeled. However, Judy does sell the milder Moruga seeds - http://www.pepperlov...uemart&Itemid=1

It is possible that she gifted me a pack and and this is what I am growing. Not the end of the world, but if I realized this before sprouting, I would have grown the hotter one. In any event, we will find out what this is when the pods develop.

Will be following this because these plants are similar to some of the ones I will be growing this season.
Hope you in fact had everything labeled correctly as you wanted!

Best of luck with your season :3

Regarding my post (3 posts up) about seed confusion, it is completely wrong. Maybe I need to go back on Coffee and I will be more accurate in life. I just looked at the label on my pot, as well as the label on my ziplock with the seeds, and both clearly read, "Moruga Scorpion Red." Either Judy did not use the word "Trinidad," in her seed pack description and I copied her description, or I deliberately omitted the word to save label tape. Either way, It looks like I have the hotter variety growing!

It is still looking good and growing, but I am not thrilled with the leaf color. It is a little too pale with a tiny drop of yellowing. This must either be from my over-watering (I've been posting pics after the top of the soil has dried) or a nitrogen deficiency. I'm going to water it tomorrow night. I need to decide whether to continue to use only water, or to use full or half strength (2-0-0) Cal-Mag:

13_zps060a3dfc.jpg

It is still looking good and growing, but I am not thrilled with the leaf color. It is a little to pale with a tiny drop of yellowing. This must either be from my over-watering (I've been posting pics after the top of the soil has dried) or a nitrogen deficiency. I'm going to water it tomorrow night. I need to decide whether to continue to use only water, or to use full or half strength (2-0-0) Cal-Mag:

13_zps060a3dfc.jpg
Looking good, Mark. I doubt the nitrogen deficiency at this stage. Try to resist the urge to water so often, let the soil dry out before soaking it again. Your going to have monsters in no time!

Those seedlings look better then most of mine. The leaves have healthy color and they're beginning to stretch for light......that's a good sign !

Back