• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Dragons Blood

I have been thinking about making a nice sweet and fiery dessert sauce for some time now. This is the first batch that I have actually made though and so I present:

DragonsBlood.jpg

The Players include Fresh Plums, Raspberry puree, Habanero and Serrano peppers, Dark Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Infused Balsamic Vinegar (really decident stuff on it's own.
37a11a92.jpg

Plums ready to be puree'd
935c048b.jpg

Habaneros and Serranos ready to be added:
efe14def.jpg

Plum Puree ready for pepper infusion
9417845b.jpg

Blend, Baby Blend
ebdeeb64.jpg

Now just need to print out the labels
139029e7.jpg

Now, where's that Vanilla Ice Cream?

Wow very interesting concept. I have and still do take a bottle of preserve and simply mix it with a concentrate for a great sauce on it's own. From time to time I also add some spices, but not too many if I do.

It's Smuckers All Fruit and it's because Publix was out of fresh raspberries and I already had it in the fridge. I already have some thoughts for changes I want to try before I declare it finished.

Holy Geez, bro.

Your sauces are BY FAR the most unique I have ever seen and tasted, and each one has been a masterpiece.
I wish there was an easy way to get some of these babies out to the general public, maybe make you a pretty penny!!!

I'm sure you've already looked into what it would take to make some of your originals in mass quantities.

I have been thinking about making a nice sweet and fiery dessert sauce for some time now. This is the first batch that I have actually made though and so I present:

DragonsBlood.jpg

The Players include Fresh Plums, Raspberry puree, Habanero and Serrano peppers, Dark Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Infused Balsamic Vinegar (really decident stuff on it's own.
37a11a92.jpg

Plums ready to be puree'd
935c048b.jpg

Habaneros and Serranos ready to be added:
efe14def.jpg

Plum Puree ready for pepper infusion
9417845b.jpg

Blend, Baby Blend
ebdeeb64.jpg

Now just need to print out the labels
139029e7.jpg

Now, where's that Vanilla Ice Cream?

Very impressed with the whole puree and chocolate thing. Can you taste the Chocolate threw all of those built flavors?

First taste is fruit plum with over tones of the Reaspberry then teh dark chocolate come in with the Balsamic Vinegar, which if you have never had to opportunity to taste is amazing, and then the flavor of the peppers comes in with the heat. It is an amazingly complex, flavor wise sauce but they all play well together. I'm going to wait a week or so and let them all meld together then try again. Next time though I'll be adding some Vanilla to it as well.

Cheers,
RM

Why you hating on smuckers?! LOL :lol:

Never used the word "hate"......just was thinking where I live you can 2 pints of fresh Raz for 4 bucks

I'm not a big fan of the gritty seeds, I always run all my sauces through a Rosle food mill, before the final stove process

Heck,...I still use Lilikoi, Guava, and Poha preserves in my fruit based sauces,

like'em so much I have them shipped in ........o.k....Smuckers......I can see it.....in a pinch

Hey the sauce has some good potential........

Think I'll give it a whirl,....just need to go downtown in the city, for the really good chocolate!

Yes you will want the good chocolate. I used Geridelli in mine and I would have used fresh raspberries and mushed them through a fine sieve if I could have found some good ones.

Now I have to make a batch without the heat for my wife and daughter. They were uhhh, rather upset that didn't think of them when I made it. Now don't get me wrong, they like peppers but they can only take the heat of a good Bell Pepper, bless their hearts.

RocketMan's Fire and Ice

05f62be4.jpg

Ok, WOW, this is magical!!! The ice cream really highlights the taste of the plums and raspberry's and moves teh chocolate flavor to kind of a background flavor. It's there but not there. The heat and the cold at the same time are a really awesome kind of mouth feel. You'll finish a bite and can';t wait to take the next one. If you have never tired anything like this before you have to give it a try!

Cheers,
RM

Looks delish! This I have to try once I get my hands on some habaneros.

Have you considered using mint in the mixture? Probably sounds crazy, but it doesn't hurt to experiment. :)

It’s the consistency of a thick Hershey’s Syrup. A teaspoon test gave me upfront flavor of plum and Raspberry along with some of the flavor of the peppers after which the dark chocolate and Balsamic Vinegar flavors come across. If you’ve never tasted Dark Chocolate and Balsamic Vinegar together while it may sound odd they really complement each other. Finely the heat comes on. When it is poured over Vanilla Ice Cream the fruit flavors from the plums, raspberries and even the peppers it brightened and made a little creamy while the chocolate balsamic flavor seemed a bit muted. The combination of the heat of the peppers and the cold of the ice cream was freaking awesome. Your mouth is burning and freezing at the same time leaving you anxious for the next bite. I didn't make very much of it but it will be made again!

Mint? I don't think it would work in this one but I do have an idea for a hot sauce with mint in it. Have a little more refinement on it to do before I make a go of it. But stay tuned... :cool:

Cheers,
RM

Back