• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Drastic Cutback Overwintering...

POTAWIE said:
Here's a fatalii I recently brought out of semi-dormancy. You can see new growth even below where the roots were.
Do you bring all your cutback plants out at this time of year? Do they go under a grow light set up? I plan on waiting until March 1st.

March 1st sounds about perfect, I'm just being a little impatient with a few plants and will likely have to trim them back several more times now.

MalevolentMonkey said:
I've grown a little impatient also and brought my trial overwintering projects into the warmth. I have two Dorset Nagas that were overwintering in a closet that stayed fairly cool so far. I've since placed them in a warm room in a sunny location. I did what Potawie stated about cutting back until I found some green wood. I've begun watering when the soil is dry and even added a small quantity (half-strength) of cactus fert (2-7-7) every other week. Should this be enough? How long, on average, before I start seeing any growth?

I'd think you'd see growth within a week or two. You likely won't need much fertilizer until they really get growing and then I'd suggest starting with a more balanced product higher in nitrogen to get them growing nice and green and big. Just watch for aphids:(

POTAWIE said:
I'm just being a little impatient with a few plants and will likely have to trim them back several more times now.

Oh alright I didn't know what your schedule is because you have a greenhouse right? I thought maybe as soon as we started getting more daylight you brought them into warmer and brighter conditions.

POTAWIE said:
Just watch for aphids:(

Yup, my overwintered plants died because I was gone for a weekend and came back to completely aphid infested plants in the garage. Who knew the buggers multiplied so quickly.

Oh well, next year.

lostmind said:
Yup, my overwintered plants died because I was gone for a weekend and came back to completely aphid infested plants in the garage. Who knew the buggers multiplied so quickly.

Oh well, next year.

Lostmind,

So far, knock on wood, except for an initial hopping of some aphids from some overwintered plants to some in a hydro system, I've been able to avoid the hated creatures. I washed all the plants with soapy water then sprinkled a heavy dose of garlic on the nubs and dirt.

Later this summer, when I transplant the seedlings, I will add garlic powder and diatomacious earth to the top layer of potting soil in each container.

Mike

I've got a continous aphid problem and I don't think I'll ever totally get rid of them, I just try to keep them under control. I just threw out a tiny Tim tomato plant that was full of flowers because I found both aphids and whitefly:(
On the plus side, I just realized that if all my overwintered plants grow successfully then I have hardly any C. chinense seeds to start, only a few special hybrids that I'm growing out as well as some fataliis for the smackdown(fun happy comparison). This will save me a lot of time and space over the winter but I really have to watch the aphids and hopefully I won't have to buy ladybugs for a few more months.

Yah, I tossed out my aphid infested plants and am already starting seeds. I did spray them with a store bought bug spray that was supposed to get rid of aphid's before I brought the plants inside. I guess I missed one or two... and since I wasn't obsessively checking the plants 10x a day like I did when it was growing season, I missed the bugs... oh well!

I just have to decide how to provide the new batch of seedlings with enough light... LED's or CFL etc... it' just supplemental light though as I have them on a big windowsill with decent light. So it shouldn't be a big problem.

It is a downer though, would have loved to see how big they got after overwintering. The one hab had a stem just about as thick as my thumb.

Hey Guys and Gals,
I don't plan on bringing my overwintered plants up from the basement until March 1st but I was wondering how I should treat them when I do. For example, the stems have had 1-2" of dying back. When I bring the plants up should I cut them back to the live areas? What about repotting? I have had them in 2 gallon containers. Should I repot right away or wait until they bounce back a bit? What about fertilizing? Any other recommendations will be appreciated.
Josh

Cut them back, but don't repot until they get going again. I give mine a bit of liquid seaweed when I first move them back outside to help them deal with any shock. Make sure you bring them back inside if the nights go below 50F. And be sure you harden them off just like you would seedlings.

Oh, wait a minute...March in New Jersey...you're not talking about moving them outside, are you?

Maybe you guys could assist in my current situation...

I attempted to over-winter two Naga's this year. I topped them and cut back the roots before potting them up and bringing them inside. I put them in a cool closet that gets very little light. The main stalk/trunk died back a bit, but there was still some green up to about three inches from the soil. I've cut down to the green since and brought the plants back into the warmth on a sunny window sill and begun watering.

The problem now is that the main trunk continues to die back and fails to sprout any leaves... Is there anything else I can do to keep these guys from meeting their maker? If I keep cutting back any further, there's gonna be nothing left.

Pam said:
Cut them back, but don't repot until they get going again. I give mine a bit of liquid seaweed when I first move them back outside to help them deal with any shock. Make sure you bring them back inside if the nights go below 50F. And be sure you harden them off just like you would seedlings.

Oh, wait a minute...March in New Jersey...you're not talking about moving them outside, are you?

Hello Pam,
Thank you for the advice. I had 4 plants overwintering but the one died as expected. (I basically snapped the base in half when I was removing it from the ground) The other 3 still look green so hopefully they will come back in March. And yes, if I put them out in March they would surely die. I have a small sunroom that I will bring them up into. Then, like you pointed out, I will harden them off and plant out on May 15. I have to be a little more sublte with hardening off this season. Last season parts of some of the leaves got a little burned. Not bad enough to stunt growth but it was still a little unsettling.
Thanks for the help...
Josh

MalevolentMonkey said:
The problem now is that the main trunk continues to die back and fails to sprout any leaves... Is there anything else I can do to keep these guys from meeting their maker? If I keep cutting back any further, there's gonna be nothing left.

Hey MM,
Sorry but I don't have any advice. Last season was my first season growing and as a result it is the first time I am overwintering plants. It is all new to me so I am learning from members here at THP. Hopefully the others will have words of advice.
Good Luck,
Josh

MalevolentMonkey said:

Don't worry about cutting back the dead, it's not going to impede plant growth and can always be trimmed later. It also prevents water and pathogens from getting into the root crown and killing the plant. The main stalk can die completely and new sprouts come from the root crown, so don't give up hope yet.

I will say, in my experience, it's more efficient to start new plants from seed then nurse one that has died back to the root crown back to health. Maybe if you're doing hydro it's worth it, but I plant in dirt, and it has just not proved efficient for me.

Logically it seems that a plant with an established root system should put out green growth faster than a seedling, but it hasn't worked that way for me. If they die all the way back to the root crown, the plant doesn't get as large as a grown from seed plant, and usually isn't as productive. On the other pod, plants that re-sprout from the woody stem seem to do ok.

If you have the space and resources, I'd give it a go and see for yourself what the results are.

Agreed. My best orange hab did that last winter(died back to nearly the roots)

I was overjoyed that I got it back to life, but it was slow going and by the end of the season, it was still really small and produced 4-5 pods.

It had produced 200 or so the previous season.....

I've been giving my overwintered plants more light recently to see what's going to live. Most of the ones I experimented with in my cold crawlspace are goners so I won't try that approach again, but others are doing good.

I have my 7 pod plant about 5 feet tall in my wifes tub next to a south facing window. It flowers all the time but no peppers forming which is fine as long a I know it's still alive and well. I have a Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia, 7 Pod, Datil, and White Habanero in that tub. I also cut back an orange Hab a few inches above the soil and it's all but dead. I'll trim the healthy plants a little before they go back outside again.

I have four or five in the garage in the dark. There is a heater in there that keeps the room from freezing but no warmer than that, I will like to see what comes back up when they go back into the sun.

millworkman said:
I will like to see what comes back up when they go back into the sun.

Yea same here. I am starting to get a little worried though with all these dead plant stories. I still have 1.5 months until I bring them up from the basement.

Back