• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Dreadie's Calypso Pork Roast

Here's what I made yesterday. An old favorite. Pork loin stuffed with a paste of cilantro, several types of peppers and a spice mix. It's basted with lime juice , brown sugar , and rum. Along with I made sweet rice and peas , spinach , a few poppers , and a salad.

My rice and peas are really rice and small red beans. I call it "sweet" because I use coconut creme in the water , along with green onions, thyme, garlic and peppers as the beans are cooked. After the beans are cooked I drain off the liquid and use it to cook the rice. When the rice is cooked I add the beans mixture back.

Here's what the stuffing mixture looks like. Bad photo .... but it's kind of fugly anyway.

Paste.jpg

The paste spread on the split lion. edit ... duh loin .....

SplitLoin.jpg

Tied up and ready to cook. I let this set over night to "season up " the pork.

TiedUp.jpg

This is the cooked loin.

FinishedLoin.jpg

Even though you floated a pepper that is one of the better meals I've seen lately.

Me, I'd chop the pepper :)

Thanks everyone . If you noticed .... that floater was sitting on my plate. I ate little slices with each bite of everything !! Sometimes when you cook for others you have to tone things down a little. Or sometimes you want something to off set the hotter stuff. That always makes the next bite of the hot stuff better to me.

But I'll always say, cook to your taste when you can. That's what makes home cooking so good. Not like a public restaurant where they have to try and make hundreds of folks happy.

Peace and happy eating to all ,
P. Dreadie

I like doing something similar, instead of Cilantro, I like a mix of rosemary, basil and garlic in the center. I have never tried it with cilantro, may have to give that a try.

P. Dreadie said:
The paste spread on the split lion.

A split lion smoked in a calypso steel drum? Sounds great!:lol: If Huntsman can supply us with fresh frozen lions?;)

I'm drooling! I will have to try this!

Armadillo ,

Thanks for poking fun at me . I caught that after it was posted for a while. Nobody else made fun of me ,
just you .... Sometimes the brain and fingers don't line things out right.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie said:
Armadillo ,

Thanks for poking fun at me . I caught that after it was posted for a while. Nobody else made fun of me ,
just you .... Sometimes the brain and fingers don't line things out right.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Happens to everybody sometimes. And about everybody around here is poked at sometimes. Sorry if it hurt your feelings.
But no kidding. The pics of that smoked loin really made me drool and I will have to try that recipe.

Armadillo ,

It's cool. I'm married for over thirty years and a musician ....... so I've got thick skin. Now the pork wasn't smoked. It was baked in the oven. The nice color comes from the lime juice , brown sugar , and rum mixture I basted it with. Just so you'll know.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Erin,I finally got a decent loin price and some time and Fired this up on the grill.I highly recommend this recipe,I used a bit to much broth under the roast so I was unable to make gravy,but I'll correct next time!I used 8 Perfumes and 1 Antillas and I and Wife thought it could use some more heat...Plenty of flavor though.I still have 2/3 of the loin left and will cook this again!I also tossed a couple fresh Allspice leaves on the fire,whole allspice in a foil packet would work as well!Thanks again and please post more!

I'm glad you liked the recipe. I haven't smoked one of these but I bet it was super. Especially with pimento adding flavor.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Yo P, are you into rock buns? This thing needs a good rock bun for dessert! You should make one with those candied habs someone posted.

Firm Buns ... yes. I'm into those !! Rock hard buns .... not so much . Ok I'll stop joking ....... I don't really know what a rock bun is , but I see did the thread about the candied habs. You are right I should come up some "hot" dessert of some sort.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

That loin is beautiful. THP is right that is one of the better looking meals on this entire site, recent or not. I can definitely see one in my future.

I had a guy come out to my house to look over some siding I'm having issues with and when he seen my peppers started telling me what a huge chilihead he was. Said he loved the heat and could eat the real hot stuff. He was telling me when he makes a salad he'll add an orange hab in it when he mixes it up. An uncut hab that after tossing the salad is removed. Said it gives just the right amount of heat.

I gave him a Bhut Jolokia pod and told him if he liked it I'd be happy to share more with him. That was back in late July and I haven't heard from him since. Yep, a real chilihead.

I know the feeling of your first Bhut Jolokia . I made poppers from two. I was humbled !! To say the least.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Dreadie, i'm liking just about every recipe you've posted! Going to do that roast pork loin for my DH this weekend. Thanks!

docsgal ....... You really dug back to find this thread !! The loin is great and worth the effort . I'm thinkin' you'll like it.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Calypso Pork Roast..........

Here's my Jamaican SIL's way of "floating" a Scotch Bonnet ( or any really hot pepper) or two so you get lots of flavor but not overwhelming heat: she cuts a small " X" in bottom of pepper & floats it. If you're making a dish that has to simmer a long time, then take the floater out once it's fully cooked, or it'll disintegrate in the liquid & be OUTRAGEOUSLY hot!

docsgal .... I was taught to simply make a floater ..... no cuts . Which as you've seen some folks disagreed with. A cut in the pepper would release more flavor but more heat too . But I say ..... do what you like . And you're right .... if the pepper breaks up it's gonna get HOT.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back