• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Drip Irrigation

Geonerd said:
After playing with http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/General/Pipeline-Pressure-Loss.php
... I think both your 1/2 main feeder, and the 1/4 inch vertical hoses are significantly undersized, assuming 1 gallon-per-hour drippers.
I'd go 3/4" for Big Blue, and 1/2" for the 7 branches.   Run these 1/2 inch lines along one row, plugging emitters directly into it.  Add 1 ft. 1/4 inch feeders for each plant in the next row.

Thanks for this info.  Would it be possible for you to explain in more detail how you came up with those numbers?  Were you using the Pressure Loss calculator or the Minimum Pipe Size calculator?  What numbers were you throwing in there?  I would like to understand things enough so that I know exactly how you arrived at the numbers, just in case I need to do this again on another garden...

Geonerd said:
IMO, you should probably get a pressure regulator.  The tubing isn't all that robust, and on a hot day it gets even softer.  Some municipal water supplies run to 70+ PSI, which may well cause blowouts.  That and a good filter, to keep the emitters from getting clogged with the silt, sand, rust dust, and other junk that comes with city water.

Definitely will do this.  I think I also need a backflow regulator or something like that which doesn't allow water to flow back into the system.

willard3 said:
A mature chile plant, just pick a serrano here, has a plant canopy of 5-10 square feet. Crowding plants may reduce chile production.

I hear ya.  1 foot is way too close.  I probably do more like 1.5 feet although that doesn't change things that much, still too close.  Right now, I am more interested in growing more different peppers than maximizing production.  If I can good results from the drip line, I can see doing the right thing in the future and spacing things out better.  I appreciate the recommendation!

Awl, hell.  I screwed up.  Musta forgot to convert one of the units from "per minute" to "per hour.". Nevermind.....  :/

Geonerd, can we just review any ways?  Even if I can use the calculators to show that 1/2" is good enough, that would be a cool transfer of knowledge.

IMG_7689.jpg

Looking at your design, and this guideline, you should be fine with 1/2 inch mainline. Just get a backflow preventer, inline filter and pressure regulator and you are golden.

Anyone have experience with IRT mulch and using drip irrigation together?    Just thinking that it might be easier to lay out the mulch first, then plant the plants through the mulch, then lay the drip system on top of the mulch.  It would be easier to access the drip system if it was above the mulch for troubleshooting purposes, right?  Putting the drip system below the mulch would probably look better aesthetically...  Any opinions?

Back