• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Dropping during direct sunlight

Thx for the advice guys, looks like shes finally done dropping her pods

Attachments

• 007F2FCC-4CA8-4798-99B7-52141A98979D.jpeg
    007F2FCC-4CA8-4798-99B7-52141A98979D.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 100
  • CCB65E67-C093-486D-A9E3-D5BB282AD71A.jpeg
    CCB65E67-C093-486D-A9E3-D5BB282AD71A.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 91
Stef0420 said:
Wow thanks for the fast replies, this is a pretty big forum,
So I shouldnt be too worried?
Im kinda late this season, next season I will have lots of new varieties I want to grow, and breed, hope I get an indoor setup before winter.

They were already large when you purchased them, and likely grown in either a green house or partial shade (to keep that luxuriant, green look).  So when you put them in the sun, it is not a surprise at all that they are wilting in the sun. As others have suggested, put up some shade cloth. Even an old sheet will do. 

Have fun, and don't let the 'purists' bring you down.  ;)

Haha the purist if its those who want to know every little detail, ph, ppm...etc lol its me idk haha
I got that plant when she was like 8 inches tall lol it was smal its big now, but I was grown in partial shade, my other plant is loving life doe, she doesnt drop during intense sun, a little only

Just relaying my observations down here.  Your mileage may vary.  My plants are in pots, with regular watering roots up, but then we get pop-up thunderstorms and get a frog-strangling drench in the afternoon.  Humidity is choking this time of year.  We also have had a HOT year, most of May through now, and no relief in sight.  Wherever you are in Georgia, I would expect conditions to differ (less tropics influence), but it's a new season and we'll see what we get.  I wish you luck.

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I'd add a few thoughts regarding the heat.  The first is that you have your pots on the concrete stoop which will hold a lot of heat overnight.  Since it is going to keep the plants warmer than if they were off on the grass or on some mulch, etc. that may increase flower and fruit drop, plus reduce fruit set.  I've found if it cools enough overnight I can still get pretty good fruit set (variety dependent), but when the heat stays 80+ overnight fruit set drops more dramatically.

The second thought is that the black plastic pots in really hot locations get really hot and can literally cook the roots that are running just inside them, plus it heats the soil increasing drying.  Both things can lead to more wilting by end of day.  If you don't mind the look, I would consider wrapping tin foil or something else around the pots.  I did this for some fig cuttings I had in plastic nursery pots last year and they seemed happier on the super hot days.

zendog said:
You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I'd add a few thoughts regarding the heat.  The first is that you have your pots on the concrete stoop which will hold a lot of heat overnight.  Since it is going to keep the plants warmer than if they were off on the grass or on some mulch, etc. that may increase flower and fruit drop, plus reduce fruit set.  I've found if it cools enough overnight I can still get pretty good fruit set (variety dependent), but when the heat stays 80+ overnight fruit set drops more dramatically.

The second thought is that the black plastic pots in really hot locations get really hot and can literally cook the roots that are running just inside them, plus it heats the soil increasing drying.  Both things can lead to more wilting by end of day.  If you don't mind the look, I would consider wrapping tin foil or something else around the pots.  I did this for some fig cuttings I had in plastic nursery pots last year and they seemed happier on the super hot days.

I would agree with this, plus at some point you have roots filling out containers.  1-gal., 3-gal., and then 5 to 7 gal. containers increase root growth by volume, and again this is my observation/opinion (for now), plants flower and drop for a time, then stop dropping and pod up, then fruit, then go through the sequence again.  The variable I have experienced is that if a plant thrives in a 3-gal. pot, then shuts down, it is time to transplant (still in grow season).  Transplanting to a 5-gal. planter stoked more growth.  In essence, I have observed growth/production slowing when plants get root bound.

This forum has a wonderful tutorial on overwintering, I never knew this was possible, but now I have multiple 2-yr. and 3-yr plants that crank it.  Check it out.

Again, this only my experience and perception.  The forum has many more experienced people, and they are the goods!

zendog said:

I would agree with this, plus at some point you have roots filling out containers.  1-gal., 3-gal., and then 5 to 7 gal. containers increase root growth by volume, and again this is my observation/opinion (for now), plants flower and drop for a time, then stop dropping and pod up, then fruit, then go through the sequence again.  The variable I have experienced is that if a plant thrives in a 3-gal. pot, then shuts down, it is time to transplant (still in grow season).  Transplanting to a 5-gal. planter stoked more growth.  In essence, I have observed growth/production slowing when plants get root bound.

This forum has a wonderful tutorial on overwintering, I never knew this was possible, but now I have multiple 2-yr. and 3-yr plants that crank it.  Check it out.

Again, this only my experience and perception.  The forum has many more experienced people, and they are the goods!

Thx again, lots of good help here, the pots do get warmer than I would like, maybe I wasnt watering correctly, cuz I put 1ltr of water yesterday and now they are dry lol, they are drinking fast now, and the heat, its weird its been 2 days they havent dropped in the sun like they used to, but since I started this forum, I started giving them more water and they seem to appreciate it haha,
The suns in full blast and they are praying their leaves upward specially pepperoncini
The plant that has flowers is catnip for my cat

The pot size for the banana pepper(smaller) is 3.5gl
And the other one is 4gallon tall pot
Pepper grew a good bit overnight, shes growing fast

Attachments

• CBAE75AB-AB17-44BB-8F15-8B4C3615240A.jpeg
    CBAE75AB-AB17-44BB-8F15-8B4C3615240A.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 837815B0-3D7B-4AA8-8640-75A3FA3B67F2.jpeg
    837815B0-3D7B-4AA8-8640-75A3FA3B67F2.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 86
Another thought, if your plants aren't that far along, they go through a drop-the flower phase, then there is the making pods phase.  Under excessively wet periods they can do the drop leaves, flowers, and pods phase, but eventually you will get peppers.  I think you are on the right track.  Good Luck, and keep searching the forum, as it is a wealth of information.

Stef0420 said:
Thx again, lots of good help here, the pots do get warmer than I would like, maybe I wasnt watering correctly, cuz I put 1ltr of water yesterday and now they are dry lol, they are drinking fast now, and the heat, its weird its been 2 days they havent dropped in the sun like they used to, but since I started this forum, I started giving them more water and they seem to appreciate it haha,
The suns in full blast and they are praying their leaves upward specially pepperoncini
The plant that has flowers is catnip for my cat

The pot size for the banana pepper(smaller) is 3.5gl
And the other one is 4gallon tall pot
Pepper grew a good bit overnight, shes growing fast

you need to get supports on those peppers ASAP.  Once they get pepper laden, they will absolutely fall over.  Even without peppers, a good gust of wind could topple them.  Stake them or put a cage around them.

Really I could put a few sticks, Ill get a cage a lil later, dont wanna damage the roots sticking a piece of wood in the soil.

Stef0420 said:
Really I could put a few sticks, Ill get a cage a lil later, dont wanna damage the roots sticking a piece of wood in the soil.
The damage a small stick into the soil will cause is much less than the whole plant snapping from a light breeze like it looks like they're about to. A few damaged roots aren't going to cause any noticeable harm to the plant. 

zendog said:

I have a question about this 2nd thought: I have some breathable plastic grow bags, should I be concerned with root cooking on these as well? I plan on shade clothing or putting them in shade when it gets really hot. What's your advice? 

Wouldnt be so worried having breathable pots... never seen plastic ones doe your fine, if your putting a shade cloth, or if you have time to move them when it gets really hot, I dont think you will have an issue cooking your roots lol

sjunbboi said:

I have a question about this 2nd thought: I have some breathable plastic grow bags, should I be concerned with root cooking on these as well? I plan on shade clothing or putting them in shade when it gets really hot. What's your advice? 

There is no container - unless it's made by Yeti - that's going to keep your roots cool, on its own.  Yes, you should take measure to keep ALL of your containers cool.

sjunbboi said:

In my experience, the plastic pots get hotter to the touch, but the biggest difference is how the roots grow in the 2 types of pots.  The breathable pots should "root prune" and keeps the roots from circling around at the outside, since the root tips dry out when hitting the fabric and give more finely branched roots within the medium.  With plastic pots, the roots grow out, hit the plastic and then grow along the plastic (either down or circling).  So with plastic pots you have a lot more of the plants roots up against the plastic where they can be negatively effected by excessive heat. In the breathable pots, the majority of the roots are further away from the fabric exterior so less likely to be effected from the fabric being heated up by the sun.    So a long way of saying I wouldn't worry about it as much with fabric pots.  

Back