• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Dry or fresh?

I want to know whether to make my hot sause with fresh or dry peppers. Which will deliver more heat? Flavor? And if you can...give me any good recipies. I want ones with flavor. I like my sauces flavorful and hot. Not just hot and stupid.

Hi Dark-Matter and first off, welcome to THP!

You can go either way and if you just cruize through the pages here you'll find a ton of them. You can even search for a specific pepper using the search function. I would suggest reading through the Hot Sauce 101 thread which was written by Salsalady who is a professional sauce maker and jsut a darn wonderful person to get to know. Then if you find yourself in possesion of some fresh pods you might want to give the Fermenting 101 thread a read. Any way you go though you can always start a thread and ask a ton of questions and those of us who have been at this hobby/profession for a while are alwasy happy to answer. You should take a look through the threads first though as your question may have already been asked and answered.

Again welcome, there are alot a great people here to get to know and make life long friends with.

RM

I want to know whether to make my hot sause with fresh or dry peppers. Which will deliver more heat? Flavor? And if you can...give me any good recipies. I want ones with flavor. I like my sauces flavorful and hot. Not just hot and stupid.
Hi Dark Matter!
I also asked the question concerning fresh or dried peppers. I did some research and most people say that in general, using fresh peppers will yield a more flavorful sauce.
But.
There are exceptions. Using super high quality, super flavorful dried peppers will yield a more flavorful sauce than a sauce made with low quality fresh peppers.

Back