• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

preservation Drying frozen peppers?

HellfireFarm

Business Member
Has anyone tried drying thawed frozen peppers?
How does it compare to dried fresh?

It looks like I have more peppers than my dehydrators can keep up with so while I'm building more I'm wondering if I can freeze the fresh ones until I can dry them. Note that end goal is powders.

If nobody else has done this, I guess I'll be reporting on the results later this year!

Hi HFF,

from a certain perspective freezing the peppers before drying may be a good idea.
When you freeze a pepper solid the individual cells rupture. Cell walls collapse, goo and gunk inside cells seep out and become more exposes to the environment. That the reason a thawed pepper has as much personality as an over-cooked noodle :-)
The freezing implies that the pepper dries a little quicker. So the "freeze first then dry" strategy has the potential to decrease the overall cost of producing dried peppers.
Personally I have never noticed a difference in terms of taste.

For inspiration...

When thawing frozen peppers to dehydrate, they will drop a lot of water, way more tham fresh chiles. Be prepared. Either drain on a colander and discard...GASP...eGads No...Or put a fruit leather tray on the bottom snd dry it out. Grind up snd put back into the peppers.

Have Fun!
SL

Back