• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Drying Habaneroes

Hey guy look at the size of the monsters i am getting compared to my normal ones. I put a beer lid there for scale.
I want to dry these as i have people who want some seeds and was wondering on the best method as i want the seeds to be viable. I do not have a dehydrator and i was planning on just halving them and drying them in a box in a dry place.. What is you prefered method... I am going to be eating one tonight just to see how hot the mothers are as they are red savina? i think that is how you spell it.

Thanx guys in advance for your info.

mr comfy
chris

2012-01-1117-57-20675.jpg

I use photobucket its easy to upload or you can get the app. For an android or iphone, Back to the topic, I also need to know how to dry my Habaneros but mine seem to last a couple days before they rott.

I usually cut mine in half and place them in a tupperware container on top of my water heater.(no lid) I believe the seeds are/will be good as long as they're exposed to temps above 125 degrees.

i dont have a dehydrator, so i have to leave mine out to air dry, what i do for the thicker skinned pods is cut them into smalled pieces and this seems to work as i use the dried pods to make powder/flake

i have np with cutting them in half as in the future i will be selling brainstrain and all the bhuts and scorps and everything on my profile list at a local market for seeds but they will get them in pods as that way they know what they get with no rip offs..

yay easy photo editor!!!

I pop the seeds out and dry them on a paper towel for a couple days in a cool dry area usually on my bookcase. As for drying the pods my oven on low with the door open just a few inches sits at 110deg and I turn them every 45 mins or so. They dry in a few hours, never had problems with burning them and it makes the house smell wonderful. Any higher temp they will turn black in the oven so test the temp if you do it that way
my next investment will be a dehydrator

I usually cut mine in half and place them in a tupperware container on top of my water heater.(no lid) I believe the seeds are/will be good as long as they're exposed to temps above 125 degrees.

IMO that temp is way to high...no need to heat the seeds to dry them or you run the chance of cooking them......split the pods, scoop out the seeds, place them on something like a paper plate and put them in a dark dry warm area...I just put them on a shelf in my computer room....you can dry the remains of the pepper any method you want but air drying takes a long time...

Air dry the seeds but you'll likely need some form of heat and/or a very dry environment to dry the pods

agreed

Basspro had a really good sell on a 500 watt dehydrator in Dec. not sure if it is on sale anymore.
Not sure if you talking about a "Lem" if so, my bro/law has one. He gave up on the nesco but jerky is his thang. I see it has some programable features.....if I were to buy a new one that would be it.....cost effective Greg

You might try a ristra too...I string some of my peppers up on fishing line and they do ok. Habaneros are borderline on thickness for this technique though. I use either my oven, dehydrator or my smoker to dry them. I always cut them in half first. If using any heat source I would dry the seeds separately as mentioned above. Good luck!

Mr. C, dandy looking habs., especialy the one on the right.

Deseed, clean, place in bowl (paper plate) set out of the way for a couple of weeks, package in ziplocks when dry, store in refrig. Nothing fancier than that. Have a 10+ year old American Harvest (Nesco) that pretty much runs non-stop during harvest time, does what I need it to do. If it ever dies, probably would upgrade to a little better model.

I have not had much luck air drying papers, they tend to get moldy. Probably the climate is not dry enough in these environs. Dehydrator is just so much easier.

P.S. Don't know if BassPro is in Australia. :halo:

Half the pods and scrape the seeds onto a paper plate. Place the plate on top of your fridge or very top of your cabinets. If you don't have a dehydrator you can dry the pods in your over. Place them in a baking sheet and set the oven to the lowest temp that it goes to. Mine sets to 150F and it took 5 1/2 hrs to dry unopened Jolokia pods. Be sure to line the sheet with some aluminum foil or the pan will "gain" a layer of cap that will NOT scrub off. Then you en up with your wife baking buscuits, then eating one that sets her on fire, then you end up in the dog house....but that's another story all itself =)

(null)

Place names in Spanish take a tilde when something is from there as in:

Norteño from the north
Tampiqueño from Tampico
Jalapeño from Xalapa
Habañero from Havana

and etc.

I've had no problems air drying habs. Just cut them in half and turn them inside out. Make sure to expose all of the inner wall. Then just lay them wet side up on a paper towel in a dry area. They'll be crispy dry in a week or two depending on the temp and humidity.

I’ll respectfully wade in on the issue, sourced from Wikipedia:

The habanero chili /ˌhɑːbəˈnɛər/; Spanish: [aβaˈneɾo]; Capsicum chinense) is one of the more intensely piquant species of chili peppers of the Capsicum genus. When used in English, it is sometimes spelled (and pronounced) habañero—the diacritical mark being added as a hyperforeignism

A hyperforeignism is a non-standard language form resulting from an unsuccessful attempt to apply the rules of a foreign language to a loan word (for example, the application of the rules of one language to a word borrowed from another) or, occasionally, a word believed to be a loan word. The result reflects "neither the... rules of English nor those of the language from which the word in question comes." For example, "habanero" is sometimes spelled or pronounced with a tilde (habañero), which is not the correct Spanish form from which the English word was borrowed. This error is perhaps influenced by the correct pronunciation of another common pepper with a Spanish-origin name, jalapeño.

Whatever makes you happy!

Back