• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Dshlogg's 2012 Grow- Freakin Aphids Grrrr

Cool natural solution to aphids. Since tomato leaves are only mildly toxic, it should be no problem to use on food crops.

I'm still using conventional warfare right now. Squishing any aphids I see. Last night I only found five aphids so I'll continue squishing unless they get out of hand.
Yeah...site said completely safe. Organic too! If you're into that stuff... Squishing in more fun, I used the same technique on several slugs and one tomato horn worm today.

I remember reading on another thread that someone mentioned spraying IPA beer on the leaves of plants affected by aphids will kill them. The residual sugar from beer is supposed to be beneficial for the plants too, so it might not be a bad thing to try. Even if it doesn't work, you still get some brews out of it!

http://tlc.howstuffw...mato-leaves.htm

Found this...and since reading your post I decided to take a closer look at my plants to. Yup! found them! Instead of running out and buying some ladybugs, I figured I'd give this a try. I still have a tomato plant hanging on from last season and it was the perfect donor. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I am tempted to try this since I have plenty of tomato plants in the greenhouse. I was wondering why I find aphids everywhere except on the tomato plants. If the Azamax I just started using doesn't get rid of them, I think this is my last organic option.

I've had plenty of aphids on tomato plants but they don't seem to damage them very much. I would definitely use something stronger like pyrethrins on chiles and rotate products, or get predators like ladybugs(mailorder is cheapest) but wait for spring unless you have a very warm indoor climate

Back