• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Dungenous Crab - What to do?

Here's the thing, I was given some dungeons crab by a chili head friend of mine, but I don't have a clue what the best thing to do with it is. I've never really cooked crab before. Other than 'ship it to me' does anyone have any good suggestions or recipes?

Lump meat.....claws.....live.....

Depending on the type the answer may change.

You can't beat just pulling it out of the shell and dunking in butter and maybe a bit of white wine.

Shell on. Legs and claws with a hunk o' meat attached to the end of it. Kinda looks like someone just chopped them in half. There are about 8 or 9 halfs

I would get a pot of water, add in some Cajun seasoning and add some more pepper. Maybe add some cayenne powder too. Bring to a boil and cook until they turn red, should only take a few minutes. While they are cooking, melt some butter (not margarine) and add some garlic powder to it so that you have a nice garlic butter dipping sauce. Then eat and enjoy some heavenly food from the sea....Yummy! And I am soooo Jealous!!!

Thanks PF! I was kinda thinking about the water and garlic butter, but never considered adding any other sort of seasioning. THat's the reason I asked :)

If were summer time, I'd say add corn on the cob and potatoes to the boil. Then you'd have a whole meal in one pot. Yummyness in a pot!

DUNGENESS crab-

If they are in halves, they've already been cooked and cleaned. Hopefully I'm not to late, don't boil them again. Live crabs are boiled whole, like lobster, then the backs are peeled off, and the insides cleaned out.

Melted butter, add some seasonings if you want... best way to enjoy fresh crab~

ps- in case you didn't know, use those spring-loaded nut crackers for the legs if you have one.

If you have "dungeons" crabs, that would require a trip to the Doc and probably a shot in the butt :)

Back when I lived near DC, we'd have crab boils (blue crab) and just toss them on a table with lots of newspaper.

I think I used the back of a wooden spoon for cracking.....

....then again...I was also known for using the bottom of a crushed beer can too!!!

Blister said:
Here's the thing, I was given some dungeons crab by a chili head friend of mine, but I don't have a clue what the best thing to do with it is. I've never really cooked crab before. Other than 'ship it to me' does anyone have any good suggestions or recipes?

Dungies are a bit of work but oh so tasty with nice delicate meat that shreds easily. Crab and Corn chowder is heaven! Stuff that crab into poppers! Make crab cocktail.
Cook a steak with some asparagus. When done, place the asparagus on top of the steak, then top it with crab meat and top it off with hollandaise! SHAZAAM!

hammer, beer can, the kid's pet turtle.....whatever you have around....

the insider's secret to getting the meat out of the shells is to use one of the pointy leg tips to help pick the meat out.

For those that have had crab with butter before, do you pick it all out into a big pile and then eat it all at once or do you eat it as you go?

Me, I eat it as I go. I've also been known to steal someone else's pile of crab meat when they weren't looking. hehehehe

This thread seriously made me drool. It's been YEARS since I've had decent crab. I've only had the skinny lil legs you get on Chinese buffets. Blech. I've never cooked crab myself, but maybe I should give it a go.

salsalady said:
hammer, beer can, the kid's pet turtle.....whatever you have around....

the insider's secret to getting the meat out of the shells is to use one of the pointy leg tips to help pick the meat out.

For those that have had crab with butter before, do you pick it all out into a big pile and then eat it all at once or do you eat it as you go?

Me, I eat it as I go. I've also been known to steal someone else's pile of crab meat when they weren't looking. hehehehe

Anyone who can crack an entire plate of crab without eating it as they go obviously isn't that crazy about it in the first place and DESERVES to have their plates raided. ;)

That's called food justice.

Well thanks for the replies all. In the end we watched some hockey, had a few beers, then DEVOURED the crab. It was kinda funny because no-one was talking. The only noises made were the cracking of shell and slurping of garlic butter from fingers. They were a bit of work, but well worth it!

Sorry guys, no pics :(. I dropped the ball on this one. Although I'm not sure I'd want to post my mug on the net considering I was a drunken, garlic and butter covered bastid that night. Crab, hot garlic butter and me was like a kid playing with a calligraphy pen. Sure it's fun, but it's soooooo damn messy!

Back