• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Durian addiction, so trying to grow one?

OMG i ♥ durian... i can't get enough of it.... i hear that the trees won't fruit over here... :( plus they get HUGE!!!...

Durian, just one of those foods that you either hate or love. To me, it's like a sugary onion, yuck! Jackfruit though, delicious!

no, we did a taste test at a poultry/chicken show, and everyone said it smelled horrible... until they tasted it... after that, the smell changed... but it's a trip how not two people there could describe the smell the same... everyone described it totally different... total trip...

for me right off the bat, it smelled like guava, papaya and sweet onion dressing...

IndoChilli - I'm guessing it would taste like spicy and rancid "Butt Meat".

:rofl:

After watching Durian get prepared on the Food Channel and seeing so many people gag from the smell/taste I was totally turned off to even trying it. Now I'm not so sure after reading this thread... a lot of Durian fans.

I'll try most anything once.
Something described as "butt meat" does give me pause though.
I've never seen it offered for sale locally.

:rofl:

After watching Durian get prepared on the Food Channel and seeing so many people gag from the smell/taste I was totally turned off to even trying it. Now I'm not so sure after reading this thread... a lot of Durian fans.

I would recommend eating the ice cream flavored with durian before you ate the real thing, or just jump ahead and eat a pod. Just think of it as a thing you must do before you die. LOL....

IndoChilli - I'm guessing it would taste like spicy and rancid "Butt Meat".

Hem... maybe it does, but still it's my fav fruit.

I wonder if there's something genetic to what you taste, sort of like there's a gene some people have that they can taste something in spinach or broccoli that is bitter to them, but not for other people.

Or, it could be that growing up around it, you associated the smell with food before you associated it with smelly armpits (the description of rotten onions is how armpit odor smells to me). I can eat stinky blue cheese, even if it smells like stinky feet because I was lucky not to smell stinky feet before learning to like the cheese. But, I can't stand even the mildest goat cheese because it tastes like male goats smell to me, and that smell is associated with some bad habits they have.

I'm just wondering if your neighbors will hate you if you grow durian and they don't like the smell. Then again, if you want them to keep their distance, it might be the perfect thing to grow.

I wonder if there's something genetic to what you taste, sort of like there's a gene some people have that they can taste something in spinach or broccoli that is bitter to them, but not for other people.

Or, it could be that growing up around it, you associated the smell with food before you associated it with smelly armpits (the description of rotten onions is how armpit odor smells to me). I can eat stinky blue cheese, even if it smells like stinky feet because I was lucky not to smell stinky feet before learning to like the cheese. But, I can't stand even the mildest goat cheese because it tastes like male goats smell to me, and that smell is associated with some bad habits they have.

I'm just wondering if your neighbors will hate you if you grow durian and they don't like the smell. Then again, if you want them to keep their distance, it might be the perfect thing to grow.

Ah, true, you got me there, even though there are more horrible thing that my local people eat, like:

Archidendron Pauciflorum (this thing smell like shit, even your pee smell like shit after eating this)
jengkol.jpg

Parkia Speciosa (same stuff as before but milder)
jengkol.jpg

I live side by side with people that eat those horrible stuff. Heck do i like it hell no, this two are my butt meat, only tried them once, after that no more for the rest of my life.
Well my neighbors practicly begs me for durian, LOL, they like it to. It has good sale price to, about $0.6 - 0.8/100gram, the smallest fruit have at least 700-1000gram, the biggest one weight in 2500-3500gram. My tree produce at least 10-25 fruit, i have 3 tree so no wonder my neighbors beg's me.

We eat plenty of gross things here in the states as well...

This being one of the more heinous atrocities foisted upon children in the name of nutrition:

okra.jpg

The consistency of boogers, with a bad aftertaste.

We eat plenty of gross things here in the states as well...

This being one of the more heinous atrocities foisted upon children in the name of nutrition:

okra.jpg

The consistency of boogers, with a bad aftertaste.

Is that okra? never taste it, but there's abundant in here. Next year i'll try to grow them.

Back