• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dvdpfstr's Glog

It is my first season growing super hots so I figured I would join in the Glog thread and document my efforts.

First off, my list of seeds ordered:

Habanero Orange
Habanero Red
Wasp
Trinidad Scorpions (Red, Yellow, and Mourouga Blend)
Bhut Jolokia's (Red, Yellow, and Brown)
Fatalii
7 Pod Brain Strain
7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
Douglah
Scotch Bonnet's (Red and Yellow)
Bhut Jolokia (Indian Carbon, Bih, Dorset Naga)
Naga Morich
7 Pod (Red, Yellow, Barrack Pore)

and,

Butch T Scorpion......when it arrives, (I ordered all my seeds from pepperlover.com and the Butch T's were not in the order. I have an email in to them and I hope to get those seeds ASAP)

I actually made one order and couldn't suppress the itch to order more, so I placed a second order this past weekend and those seeds arrived today minus the Butch T's. I have those seeds soaking in water tonight and will get them in soil tomorrow night.

On top of the ones I ordered, I received quite a few "gifts" from pepperlover.com and will be planting some of those also.

Those are:
Amish Bush
pi260478
Indian p-c1

So far this is where I stand:

1 Seedling tray started.

And the second order of seeds soaking.

And, the freebies soaking.

I'll post updates as things change.

You have some heat in that list! Good luck with your germination trays,
looks like you're good to go! Welcome to the glogosphere :cool:

Got an email from pepperlover.com today saying they were sorry for the mistake of leaving the Butch T Scorpions out of my order and they were sending them out today.

Until they get here I went ahead and planted another tray of seedlings from the last order that were soaking in water/peroxide solution since last night.

Planting all those seeds even makes the dog tired.

Until next time.

I planted my first flat of seeds on 2/15/12 and I noticed today that I have a couple of Red Habanero's peeking their heads out.

I hadn't anticipated having any sprouts this quick so I had to put a plan together as far as lighting. I had been looking around about what options there were locally. I knew I didn't want to go the T12 fixture route and was trying to decide between a T8 fixture and a T5.

I ultimately decided on a T8 fixture and went out today and picked it up and some bulbs. I also got everything I thought I would need to hang the light in a bonus room we have above our garage that is rarely used for anything.

Installed:

Gonna go out tomorrow and pick up some Mylar to enclose everything with and see what kind of progress we can make.

The bulbs I got for the fixture seem pretty damn bright and the specs on the bulbs are, 2750 Lumens, 6500 Color temp, and 32 watts (6 bulbs in the fixture).
Can someone who has more knowledge of light bulbs tell me if these are sufficient to carry me over until I can plant outside in April?

Looking good, congrats on the babies! Those lights will do well for ya. A lot of people here use the T8s with great success. The 6400k are perfect for veg and will do well to carry you until plant out. The benefit is you can hang em pretty close to the foillage and not worry about burning them. Good buy.

looking good. those lights will work just fine for ya like said above keep them close about 2-3 inches above top of plants. nice pics keep em coming

Well, it's been almost 2 weeks since my last update so I figured I would show what kind of progress my seedlings have made.

First off, the list with germination so far:

Scotch Bonnet Yellow 5/6
Scotch Bonnet Red 6/6
Fatalii 6/6
7 Pod Brain Strain Red 6/6
7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow 7/9
7 Pod Barrackpore 6/6
7 Pod Red 4/6
7 Pod Yellow 5/6
Bhut Jolokia Yellow 6/6
Bhut Jolokia Brown 5/6
Bhut Jolokia Red 6/6
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon 4/6
Bih Jolokia 6/6
Douglah 2/9
Wasp 4/6
Habanero Red 6/6
Habanero Orange 1/6
Dorset Naga 6/6
Amish Bush 5/6
Pi260478 3/4
Indian PC-1 3/4
Naga Morich 6/6
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 2/6
Trinidad Scorpion Red 6/6
Trinidad Scorpion Mourouga 6/6
Trinidad Scorpion Butch-T 5/6
(* worst germination rates)

As you can see, I highlighted the poorest performers as far as germination rates go. I have no reason why those three have done so poorly because all my seeds came from the same supplier and all of the seeds were in the same seed flats. Maybe bad seeds? I'm not going to complain too much since my over all germination rates are pretty good.

Some Pictures;

An odd looking start to a 7 Pod Brain Strain Red but it is now pushing out it's next set of leaves.

A line of Red Habanero's.

Another odd start for a Bhut Jolokia Yellow but it also is pushing out it's next set of leaves also.

And a couple of Fatalii's, Scotch Bonnett Red & Yellow (left to right).

So far I am pleased. Not as impressive as some of the GLOGS here but mine are coming along.

Thanks for looking.

Oh yeah, GO WILDCATS!!!

It's been a while since I posted an update so after I got finished with my first round of potting up from the seed trays I figured now is as good a time as any. A little info first. I followed suit from some of the other people on the site and ordered pots from Growers Solution. I ordered the 3.5 x 5 inch deep pots hoping that they will be big enough to carry me through until final pot out and putting plants in the ground.

For my pot up I picked up a bale of the Pro-Mix BX from the local Hydro store. I don't now how anything could NOT grow in this soil. It seems perfectly mixed as far as peat and perlite goes and I had a rather easy time re-hydrating it. I filled up each of my pots with dry Pro-Mix and placed them in a standard flat. To the tray I added a gallon of water and let the trays w/pots sit over night. The next morning the soil was perfectly damp, not too wet and certainly not dry. I'm even using the she pots and soil for my tomato plants.

Any way, here's a couple of pictures of the the first batch of plants after potting up.

Mourouga, Trinidad Scorpion Red, and Trinidad Scorpion Yellow.

Orange Habanero, Red Habanero, and Naga Morich.

7 Pod Barrakpore, 7 Pod Yellow, and 7 Pod Red.

Scotch Bonnet Yellow and Scotch Bonnet Red.

Wasp, Douglah, and Indian P-C1.

I will post another update in a day or two after I pot up the rest of the plants I have going. So far I am pleased with my first season of growing super hots. Let me know what you think and offer suggestions if you have any please.

Nice pics of seedlings and transplants, dvd!
You don't need much advice that I can see!

Thanks Paul. I contribute a lot of the success I have had so far to the stuff I have read on the forums. Also, Pepperlover.com. My germination rates were pretty damn good.

Thanks for the remarks guys. The plants seem to be digging their new homes. I swear they have already put on new growth and already look better than when they were in the starter flats. Thought I would post the second round of pot up photos.

Dorset Naga, Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon, and Bih Jolokia.

Brain Strain Red, Brain Strain Yellow, and Bhut Jolokia Brown/Chocolate.

Bhut Jolokia Red, Bhut Jolokia Yellow, and Fatalii.

Butch T, Amish Bush, and pi260478.

The Butch T's are a little behind the rest of the plants because of getting started about a week and a half later than the rest but they seem to be trying to make up for lost time.

I am planning on growing at least one of each variety I have in at a 5 gallon bucket so I can see what the difference, if any, there will be between the ones that will be in the ground. I figure I will have more control over fertilization and better soil than the Kentucky clay the rest will be going in and thought it would be interesting to see the difference.

One question though, for any of those that have grown plants in 5 gallon buckets, how many if any drainage holes have you put in the bottom of the buckets? I was also wondering if drilling some holes around the sides of the buckets might help with getting a little more oxygen to the roots somewhat like the smart pots do?

Any thoughts?

Back