• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dying leaves and rotting fruits

About a week ago i had a tiny pepper on one of my yellow thai's  with some damage to that was rotting and thought it had to do with the massive amounts of rain and possible prior damage. Now it looks like my leaves are dying and i have had another smaller pepper rot. i had pulled the peppers that were rotting off and opened them up i did not see any bugs inside it still has 4 healthy peppers on it. I used MG moisture control soil and natures care nutes(10-3-6). It's been about 5-7 days since i last fed the plant instructions say every 7-14 days. The pepper is planted in a canvas bag. 

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165605_zpstqo5rzv5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165608_zpsetdzzkat.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165613_zpsr5fhwaaw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

DIAFpeppers said:
About a week ago i had a tiny pepper on one of my yellow thai's  with some damage to that was rotting and thought it had to do with the massive amounts of rain and possible prior damage. Now it looks like my leaves are dying and i have had another smaller pepper rot. i had pulled the peppers that were rotting off and opened them up i did not see any bugs inside it still has 4 healthy peppers on it. I used MG moisture control soil and natures care nutes(10-3-6). It's been about 5-7 days since i last fed the plant instructions say every 7-14 days. The pepper is planted in a canvas bag. 

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165605_zpstqo5rzv5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165608_zpsetdzzkat.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/bluebob950/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170709_165613_zpsr5fhwaaw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks like it could be a Calcium Deficiency but also looking at your soil it doesn't look like you got much aeration and drainage. When you water it could be drowning. Pepper plants love well drained soil. When you water does it take time for the water to drain through the top of the soil and does it look kind of muddy? The roots could be impacted or damaged as well because of soil compaction.

Also how much fertilizing do you do? And how often do you water?

I might be wrong, but it could be over-fertilization. It doesn't look like a lack of calcium to me. Miracle grow potting mixes usually have immediately available and slow release fertilizer built in. (MG moisture control does have this). The built in fertilizer is probably close to all that the plant wants in the first place and you are continuing to add more every week or so. This might be why it's been looking worse and worse over time. I've found the MG moisture control to be adequate for drainage (probably not quite the level of drainage that peppers prefer for maximum growth, but enough to keep them healthy) and adding 1 part perlite or vermiculite to 4 or 5 parts MG moisture control to be better.

There are more knowledgeable members here, so I would get their advice as well. I recommend letting the soil dry pretty thoroughly, then drenching the plant to wash excess fertilizer, then proceed with normal watering schedule with a much less frequent fertilizer schedule.

Peter_L said:
I might be wrong, but it could be over-fertilization. It doesn't look like a lack of calcium to me. Miracle grow potting mixes usually have immediately available and slow release fertilizer built in. (MG moisture control does have this). The built in fertilizer is probably close to all that the plant wants in the first place and you are continuing to add more every week or so. This might be why it's been looking worse and worse over time. I've found the MG moisture control to be adequate for drainage (probably not quite the level of drainage that peppers prefer for maximum growth, but enough to keep them healthy) and adding 1 part perlite or vermiculite to 4 or 5 parts MG moisture control to be better.

There are more knowledgeable members here, so I would get their advice as well. I recommend letting the soil dry pretty thoroughly, then drenching the plant to wash excess fertilizer, then proceed with normal watering schedule with a much less frequent fertilizer schedule.

Calcium Deficiency usually indicates fruit end rot. I've been growing for 8 years now and i've had this problem before but to me i really think its a drainage issue, looking at the soil it doesn't look like its well drained soil.

I was either thinking drainage or over fertilizing as well.

I have also asked how much he fertilizes got no response yet.

Sorry been away from the computer and my phone doesn't like the site. i have only feed my peppers twice it was 12 days apart i made a gallon of the mix each time and spread it between 12 plants. I water every day except when its been raining a lot. when i water if the top is a little dry it will puddle for about 5 mins until it drains in.

I water every day except when its been raining a lot. when i water if the top is a little dry it will puddle for about 5 mins until it drains in.

Too much watering for starters, even the best draining soil would have a hard time keeping up. Unless it's really hot out, the plant can probably go 3 days between getting water. (And if your pot's drain holes are plugged, it doesn't matter what soil you have - might want to check that too.) You could probably let the plant wilt (bottom leaves wilt - it won't hurt the plant) a little between each watering if you want to be sure.

hotpepperguy said:

Calcium Deficiency usually indicates fruit end rot. I've been growing for 8 years now and i've had this problem before but to me i really think its a drainage issue, looking at the soil it doesn't look like its well drained soil.

I was either thinking drainage or over fertilizing as well.

I have also asked how much he fertilizes got no response yet.

It was difficult to tell because there was no picture of the fruit and the OP didn't describe the rotting very well. The newer leaves didn't look crinkled; although that definitely isn't the only symptom. If it is blossom end rot, I 100% agree that lack of calcium is likely also a problem along with the overwatering. 

DIAFpeppers said:
Sorry been away from the computer and my phone doesn't like the site. i have only feed my peppers twice it was 12 days apart i made a gallon of the mix each time and spread it between 12 plants. I water every day except when its been raining a lot. when i water if the top is a little dry it will puddle for about 5 mins until it drains in.

In my opinion it is either over-watering or a drainage issue. When you water it should pass right through the soil almost instantly but sometimes it can take a minute if you got a lot of root production. 5 mins is definitely to long for the water to pass through so it might be compacted soil.

Thanks guys. Its been up in the mid 90's for a few days at a time the past few weeks when it hasn't been raining with high winds so it looked like it was drying out more than it was. I pushed the sides of the pot to loosen the soil some and plan to let it dry out a little. I didn't take pictures of the rotting fruit i plucked them with out thinking.

Back