• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Earliest ripening peppers

Bicycle808 said:
I eat bells year-round, mostly bc they're so readily available. But I would not even consider the possibility of growing my own. Like, every time ppl ask me if I do grow bells--which happens regularly-- I airways feel surprised and a lil taken aback...

Like, "no.... But why would I??"

I get that question a lot and they seem to be offended like how could I not grow them. lol

I know this thread is kind of dead, atm, but I thought i'd chime in anyway. I work at the KPU farm in Richmond, BC, Canada (just south of Vancouver) and our climate is almost identical to Seattle's. Last year I was quite surprised to discover a type of baccatum volunteering in two beds. There were several plants, but most were being out competed by cabbage, and so didn't produce fruit. There was one plant, however, that was at the end of a bed, and thus wasn't crowded, which bore three or four fruits, which would have ripened had the plant not gotten plowed in in September. If it seeded from the previous crop in that bed, then the variety was most likely Aji Rico. The ability to both volunteer and produce a second generation of plants that set fruit is pretty much unheard of in our region. Like Seattle, we have cool, wet weather 2/3 to 3/4 of the year, with cold wet springs, and warm (but not hot) dry conditions in the summer. Not exactly ideal pepper growing conditions, but it does appear as though there are some baccatum varieties that are well suited to our conditons. I, and other growers out this way have also had good results with rocotos.

Back