• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Easiest/Hardiest/Best Producing "Naga"?

Hello all. I've been putting my reservations in for my plants for next year, and I have decided to grow some super-hot variety. I have been going 'round and 'round trying to decide which would be the best variety for me to grow in five to seven gallon pots. I wanted to grow bhuts, but I have been reading that they can be fairly touchy. Basically, which are the easiest to grow and which will tolerate the biggest variety of conditions? I have found that in the hottest part of the summer, the dirt in the pots can dry out in the afternoon, leading to some amount of wilting. So a combination of easy, early, hardy, and productive is the most desirable for me. Suggestions please, and thanks in advance!

I am pretty sure once you get them going(the hard part) most of the dorset/bhut/naga types will be quite prolific.

to me there is no such thing as an early superhot...all of them take months to mature and produce successfully...

I am growing all four...Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia, and Dorset Naga...plus 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion

true the soil drys on hot days but you just have to watch them...my Bhuts and Dorsets get morning sun then about 2 in the afternoon, they get shade and seem to be doing the best...the Naga Morich and Bih Jolokias produced a fair number of pods before the hot weather hit but are struggling in the full sun...next year, I will paint my containers white instead of leaving them black like I have the past several years....

Bottom line...for me, the Naga Morich have produced more pods per plant this year so far but I expect the Bhuts, Bihs, and Dorsets to kick into gear any day...I have about 50 of them total and must have over 10,000 flowers on them...I will be satisfied if 1/4 of the blooms set fruit...

I haven't had any problems growing Bhut Jolokia pepper plants. From germination to harvesting, you just need to pay attention to what's going on. They do have an issue with flower drop but I've found that true with the rest of the super hots. Don't let the Bhut intimidate you into not growing it.

AlabamaJack said:
Bottom line...for me, the Naga Morich have produced more pods per plant this year so far but I expect the Bhuts, Bihs, and Dorsets to kick into gear any day...I have about 50 of them total and must have over 10,000 flowers on them...I will be satisfied if 1/4 of the blooms set fruit...

Last year I grew a Naga Morich and a Bhut Jolokia. The growing conditions weren't exactly the same but the Naga Morich was much better all around and hotter too. Unfortunatley that Naga Morich plant didn't make it through the winter, and the Bhut was discarded.

This year I only started Bhut Jolokia seeds and I'm kicking myself for not growing the Naga Morich instead. It might just be my seed stock or the different growing techniques, but in my experience the Naga Morich was a better plant.

The Naga Morich gets my vote for the most impressive pod production. These plants really churn out the heat. I understand that the Bih does as well, but haven't grown that one yet.

I found the dorset and the morich almost identical and both extremely productive, my biggest plants ever. I wasn't so happy with the bih, and I've never tryed the bhut.

AlabamaJack said:
I expect the Bhuts, Bihs, and Dorsets to kick into gear any day...I have about 50 of them total and must have over 10,000 flowers on them...I will be satisfied if 1/4 of the blooms set fruit...
What will you do with 2500 Naga's:shocked:

Silver_Surfer said:
The Naga Morich gets my vote for the most impressive pod production. These plants really churn out the heat. I understand that the Bih does as well, but haven't grown that one yet.

I agree with your point about the Naga Morich. I'm growing two of these this year in 7 gallon containers (although I think they are really 5 gal.) and have harvested over 500 pods so far. I expect to be over a 1,000 from these two plants by the time my growing season is all over. It's sorta funny, one of the plants is a tree-like bush monster at 4.5ft tall while the other is a runt and bush like yet they both have produced about the same number of ripe pods so far:rolleyes:.

I've found this variety very easy to grow from germination through pod production.

NagaPod2_081509.jpg

OP, feel free to PM me if you would like some seeds.

chillilover said:
What will you do with 2500 Naga's:shocked:

make lots of puree...and have a pretty good supply thru next year..

I can't remember now if my biggest plant was a dorset or a morich but both were huge and extremely productive
About 2500 pods off this monster
1336408753_17ed9bca76.jpg

Back