• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Eating hot and superhot peppers

I don't know about you, but Nexium works fantastic for me. I have pretty bad reflux, doesn't matter what I eat or drink, doesn't matter if I DON'T eat or drink, still happens, still crippling. Everything else (ranitidine, etc) is ineffective or I'm allergic to. Is it reflux for you as well, Hill, or something else?

I haven't tried it yet, but Ed Currie recommends lime juice. I would assume just a squirt. I've found that a pinch of salt will pull some heat from your tongue. It's not immediate. But all the salivation and salt combine. It calms down the heat and then the throbbing begins. That's when endorphins rush through me...during the throb. Lol. And when I get heartburn, good old fashion baking soda and water works wonders. It allows you to burp out the heat.

Virgil,

If you have reflux, and it truly is crippling, you should not be eating anything particulary hot until you have identified the exact cause, e.g. endoscopy to see if the stomach valve is closing properly. If that is the case, the hot food AND anything else you have to try and calm it down will all come back up to some extent, and yes, it will still burn you, bad.

I know - I have a particular issue that needs medical treatment and I reassure you that there is no chilli I have ever eaten, nor will there ever be in existence on this planet, that burns like stomach acid coming back up your esophagitis. Surely you would agree it's nothing short of agony.

I suggest you get it all looked into and then you need only worry about the chilli causing you any sort of pain !!

In the mean time, I hope Nexium keeps working for you as long as it can, but I hate the dry mouth it often provides.

Regards,

Tim

Hi teejay,

I appreciate your concern! I have identified the cause. It is due to excess stomach acid, which runs in my family, so I am permanently on Nexium. I've had this issue since I was like 14. For a long time I didn't take anything and suffered through it on a daily basis. Finally, had an endoscopy done and they removed some esophageal polyps, which were from stomach acid splashing up. They recommended PPIs, but I am insanely allergic to everything OTC, so I have to take the prescribed Nexium. I have tried just about every home remedy out there. I have even tried not eating anything, to cutting foods out, you name it. The doctor said it was ok to eat peppers and spicy food as, oddly enough, they are the only things that did not give me heart burn. To date, since I have started Nexium (well over a year ago), I have not had any bile, nor any reflux, no pain, no misery. Truly a miracle. I'd seriously pay any price for the stuff. There is nothing at all more painful than that burning acid. I would rather be punched in the face on a daily basis than deal with reflux.

I don't get dry mouth from it, but I will say that it sometimes gives me gas!

Hi Virgil,

Fart away my friend! Fart away! And the bonus is that you don't have to blame "the dog", you can blame "the meds"  :D

Sounds like you have it all sorted and that's great.

Coffee will do your stomach in too from my experience ....

There is something stronger than Nexium I am told, in case you ever need it.

When it comes to eating peppers though, it's funny - for me, the habanero family will put me into serious (temporary) cramps, but not the 7 Pot family. I suspect it has to do my the ratio of capsaicinoids, or something like that. Just one of those things I guess.

Some of the superhot crosses out there ... dunno how people get them down at all - one to ask Nigel I think

Regards,

Tim

Don't eat them on an empty stomach. Build your tolerance by cooking with them. Cooking with them is the sole reason I grow chiles. If you cannot handle it, then you have eaten more than you should. You shouldn't need milk etc.

Hahahahaha, my girl gets annoyed with me but luckily they aren't deadly! Coffee used to do it to me as well. I try to limit my coffee intake now because I was at 10 cups a day (I'm from New England and coffee is what runs through everyones' veins instead of blood). My dad swears by drinking pickle juice and eating pickles to cure his heartburn. It did nothing for me.

Some of these superhots are terrifying. I was watching videos last night of people eating hot peppers and I found one where this poor girl ate a 7 pot brown (according to the video) and had such a hard time with it she was eating icecream with her hands. It was hilarious. Definitely prefer cooking with them over just cramming them into my mouth!

Back