vendor EBay Chile Seeds

I think it important to note that chile seeds sold on EBay pretty much always cause problems of some kind.

what grows is not as advertised,
no or low germination of seeds,
poor customer service,
crossed seeds and etc.
high prices

Most seeds are being sold by those who have no idea about growing chiles or are just con artists.
Find a reputable chile seed purveyor.

I think the all encompassing negative nature of the topic ebay is unfortunate and stings a little of bitterness. No offence.

I've bought seeds from a member of this group that I've not been happy with and I've bought seeds from Ebay that I've been thrilled with. To say 'don't buy from ebay' they are all frauds and ignorants is just plain wrong. I'm sure there are many sellers that are not reputable, I'm not arguing that. However I've bought all kinds of seeds from different sellers there-in and have been very happy with the results. One example posted above: Aprilshowers2010. She is a master gardener in Alberta and this is my second year buying a wide range of seeds from her. Excellent product at good price.

Ultimately, my rule of thumb is this: bad seeds once, I don't buy again. And you can get good or bad sellers anywhere.

----------------->The exception that tests the rule
People are known by the birds with whom they fly.
I fly with those dirty birds! If you want the good deals that can be had, you have to put the time in. Use your intuition, and if you have concerns about germination rates or whether a seed is OP or not, write to the seller before you buy. Let your intuition be your guide when it comes to buying on ebay.

For those afraid of ebay, here's three trusted seed sources with great prices that I use:

Cherry Gal
Sample Seeds

and of course...
Pepper Lover

Why not buy from forum members here who know and grow their own plants and can be held accountable for their actions, or at least buy from sources recommended here
I personally would never buy chile seeds from E-bay unless I know the seller, there is just too much potential for problems and far too many people have been scammed or disapointed. Good seed vendors are usually part of the online chile community and not just out to make a buck re-selling, which is often the case with E-bayers.

I wouldn't buy on EBay, even from people whom I know because it's so easy to fake identification on EBay......I've seen it happen.

Buying chile seeds on EBay is a prescription for disappointment.

The prices listed are almost never better than prices on honest purveyor's sites and seed quality is worse.

I've also bought from sellers, both on Amazon and eBay, and I have to admit, so far, the best growers in terms of seeds purchased have by far been from eBay. The first Amazon purchase's lack of growth, I willingly chalk up to my own mistakes through the learning process, but still, the Bhuts I bought ion eBay have been great thus far.

It's not like all ebay sellers are bad, just the vast majority...

This made me lol... The worst part about ebay, is its not just the sellers you have to worry about.. I used to sell a lot of computer components on ebay, starting with gmail invites back in the day... Every time I got a new cell I'd sell it on there as well... Until I got screwed over by ebay. Then I was screwed over by Paypal... Now I refuse to use either... If I ever decide to sell anything, and craigslist is insufficient, I'll code my own website, and web-store if need be.

Ebay was a great idea, but they did not adapt to the changing market (IE they don't take enough steps to protect either the buyer or seller) and thus they have lost me forever as a customer... Pretty much anyone will take cash/check/moneyorder/westernunion by mail.

I bought some seeds on ebay this year. White habs from one seller and yellow bumpy from another.
The white habs have a good germination rate (about 80%) now I have to wait to see if they are actually white habs.
The yellow bumpy seller was one of the only people who would sell them and ship to the US. I couldn't find any US sellers for them. Ordered the seeds ($3.50 or so shipped) and they said if there were any problems with customs (I didn't get the seeds) that they would fully refund my money. That being said I have very good germ rates with those too (probably +75%)! They replied very quickly to any and all emails I sent them regarding their seeds. Now I wait to see what they grow into.
That being said, if it seems too good to be true, it very well could be. However, you will find good sellers with good seeds if you look hard enough. :)

7000274866_9e86508e7c_z.jpg

That's cool :) According to the location on eBay, you only live an hour north of me, maybe not even that much

Back