• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Ed Currie's newest hottest pepper

Jubnat said:
Nice read! Thanks, NECM

Thanks!

I forgot this tidbit. > the.chileman.org/Naga Morich and the quest for the world's hottest pepper

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

In 2011 along came the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, claiming 1,463,700 SHU and was announced by the Guinness world records as the world's hottest pepper. It arrived hot on the heals of the Trinidad Scorpion. Was it really a different variety?

[Update!]
Allen Boatman has shared the story of this pepper, and it appears that this variety was around much earlier than we first thought. The Butch T Scorpion pepper seed was first multiplied and sent out by Mark M, of Hamilton, NJ. Mark received two Trinidad Scorpion pods from a seed trade in the summer of 2004 and was advised that they were pods grown from a plant acquired from Valley View Nurseries in Cockeysville, Maryland. The TS was as of then unknown on GardenWeb and by Coast 2 Coast Pepper Company discussion forum. Mark lost touch with the donor of the pods after the exchange. He did not taste them, but instead saved seeds, discarded the pods, and grew the seeds out in the summer of 2005.

Mark first tasted the Trinidad Scorpion in 2005. He knew from the start that the TS was a contender for one of the world's hottest peppers. He spread word on the original C2C site and, on 30th July 2005, sent seed to Butch Taylor (Crosby, MS), and other hobbyists in Cortland, NY, Stafford, TX, Bangor, ME, Sterling Heights, MI, Barstow, CA, and Brengues, France.

An Australian named the pepper in honor of Butch T, as Butch is who he acquired the seed from, and the name stuck.

`

AJ Drew said:
I love peppers.  When I combine the business seed collection with my personal seed collection, I feel like my grandpa must have while showing us his stamp collection.  Now this is another moruga scorpion kids, but this one is different because it comes from Brazil. 

It's funny how I first ever heard of all those Brazilian varieties when I got into foreign forums LOL

TakashiLM said:

It's funny how I first ever heard of all those Brazilian varieties when I got into foreign forums LOL

Maybe it is like German Bier.  You know what they call it in Germany?  Bier.  I -think- I got my Brazilian Moruga from Jim Duffy / Refining Fire Chili.  You should order the non Brazilian type and call it the American Moruga, gift a bunch of things, see if you can get the idea going.  After a year or two, kick back and enjoy the knowledge that you made me laugh my ass off.

AJ Drew said:

Maybe it is like German Bier.  You know what they call it in Germany?  Bier.  I -think- I got my Brazilian Moruga from Jim Duffy / Refining Fire Chili.  You should order the non Brazilian type and call it the American Moruga, gift a bunch of things, see if you can get the idea going.  After a year or two, kick back and enjoy the knowledge that you made me laugh my ass off.
makes sense HAHAHAH

I am very confused about two things from that video:

1. Now Carolina Reaper is a cross between a habanero and a ghost pepper?  It seems to change every few months.

2. They have hotter peppers in their back pockets that they could submit any time?  I thought there was an official attempt something or another.  Looked official, had a Guinness seal n everything.

My $0.02.....

I always heard the Reaper was a Naga (type) crossed with some sort of Hab

I've never dealt with Ed in any way, shape or form, so I have no personal opinion about the guy either way.....
I look at that video two ways. If he's already got something hotter than his Reaper, why the hesitation to release it?

Is it...
1) Him being "nice" and allowing someone else to submit their pepper to take the crown (momentarily) and get their 5 minutes of fame? (Remember when the 7 Pot Infinity was only at the top for about 2 weeks?)

Or

2) Him being a dick, and waiting for something to beat the Reaper, just so he can kick them off the pedestal and be on top again to keep making money?

I don't know. Just my thoughts on it

AJ Drew said:
I am very confused about two things from that video:

1. Now Carolina Reaper is a cross between a habanero and a ghost pepper?  It seems to change every few months.

2. They have hotter peppers in their back pockets that they could submit any time?  I thought there was an official attempt something or another.  Looked official, had a Guinness seal n everything.
I was wondering the exact same thing. How does a hab×bhut end up as a reaper, and look exactly like a primo?!!!

I thought ghosts were closer to 1 million SHU..? The vid says 600k I would have thought the average would be higher than that.

I don't buy the ghost (or was it Pakistani Naga?) X hab (or sweet red hab) story at all I don't know how the Reaper came to be but I don't believe that story.

And what is the point of having chillies twice as hot if they are confined to a single grower? If you don't want to share these chillies then keep it to yourself self rather then gloating about it.

Don't get me wrong I got nothing against puckerbutt or Ed. This is just what I get from watching the video.

I don't have anything against Mr. Curry either.  I don't know him.  I have just been driven insane by all the claims of how the Carolina Reaper was created.  Between the quotes and information attributed to Mr. Curry, there are so many different versions of the story that I can no longer keep track.  Now it is a hab and a ghost pepper. OK

My favorite version is
“They were a Soufriere pepper from the Caribbean island of St. Vincent and a Naga pepper from Pakistan”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-reaper-pepper-20141127-story.html#page=1

This one is my favorite because Soufriere is a town and volcano on Saint Lucia Island, not on St. Vincent. .

Why is it that most super hots end up available in every color but jalapeños can only be red or green?

I see seeds for sale for specific colors but thought the pod colors were random on a plant... I'm unsure.

MikeUSMC said:
My $0.02.....

I always heard the Reaper was a Naga (type) crossed with some sort of Hab

I've never dealt with Ed in any way, shape or form, so I have no personal opinion about the guy either way.....
I look at that video two ways. If he's already got something hotter than his Reaper, why the hesitation to release it?

Is it...
1) Him being "nice" and allowing someone else to submit their pepper to take the crown (momentarily) and get their 5 minutes of fame? (Remember when the 7 Pot Infinity was only at the top for about 2 weeks?)

Or

2) Him being a dick, and waiting for something to beat the Reaper, just so he can kick them off the pedestal and be on top again to keep making money?

I don't know. Just my thoughts on it

I´m thinking it might be scenario #3: Smokin' Ed is blowing smoke. They don´t have hotter varieties on deck... It seems that the Reaper isn´t even really stable yet; if their current champ isn´t truly ready yet, then why would we believe they´ve got heavier pods in the stable?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I was wondering the exact same thing. How does a hab×bhut end up as a reaper, and look exactly like a primo?!!!

I don´t think it would.  It seems obvious that there is more than a small amount of 7Pot in the Reaper´s DNA.  I suspect the biggest difference between the Reaper and the Primo is that the Primo is stable, and Troy doesn´t sue hobbyist growers for sharing plants on Facebook.

Look, i get the impression that, a few years back, it was fashionable to dump all over Ed Currie.... so, the pendulum has swung and not it is en vogue to preface any criticism of Ed with a ¨..i don´t know Ed Currie..." or ¨I have no problem with Ed Currie....¨  I get it, and to be honest, I´ve never met the man and I don´t have any personal beef with him, but let´s face it: he sucks.  Sure, few of us really know him, but what we do know about him is that he seems to be lying about the origins of his pepper, he produces douche-carnival videos where he continues to lie about his pepper and gloat about a secret stash of bigger/hotter peppers & he illustrates the SHU scale by going Bell>Jalapeño>Serrano>Red Hab>Ghost>Carolina Reaper, but conveniently keeps any of the close contenders (Moruga Scorp, Douglahs, ANY 7Pots, etc) out of the discussion entirely.  Plus, he speaks like Jack Barker from Silicon Valley and he clearly isn´t interested in hobby growers, as he threatens litigation on them as he struggles to trademark some questionable and unstable genetics.  So yeah, we don´t know him but, at this point, do we really want to get to know him?

There´s better superhot chiles out there.  And, better pepper personalities behind them.  This guy reads more as a fictional character than he does as a real person, which i´m basically fine with, but if i´m being honest, he´s like some kind of chile pepper version of a cliché supervillain.  I´m looking for more interesting stories than this one.

Back