• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Edgie loves him some hydro

Hi All,

I've been trying my hand a hydroponics for a few months. After plenty of failures and some poor dead plants, I think I finally got it. It's really very simple. I was just over-doing it.

The Aji Chombo pictured below is in a 5 gallon DWC bucket, under a 600 watt MH conversion bulb 16 hours a day. PH is around 5.6 - 5.9. I use Cutting Edge Solutions nutrients. I change the reservoir once every 2 weeks. When I transplanted it from a 3 inch pot into the 6 inch netpot it was 5 inches tall. That was 3 weeks ago, yesterday. If you look closely you can see the white plastic handle from the bucket. Initially the handle could easily clear the top of the plant. Now the plant is 18 inches tall! The below pictures were all taken yesterday.

6322708284_36ef3c148b_b.jpg

When first transplanted there were no roots showing. After only 2 day the roots started slowly coming through the netpot. Now look at them.
6322181875_31036bc099_b.jpg

Big leaves.
6322179433_013f746122_b.jpg

And now to the best part. BUDS!!!!
6322706794_a2a25701c8_b.jpg

6322180245_2d086ed73b_b.jpg

The plant is only 1 1/2 feet tall. I'm not sure whether to clip the buds and let the plant focus on get bigger or just let it be. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Edward

Just started a DWC for first time. I started the seed in it. Seedling is 1/4" right now. 5 gallon bucket.. 10" pot with hydroton. Figured I would let it gio without any nut es. Just distilled water for now. When would be a good time to add nutrients? After a couple sets of true leaves?

Just started a DWC for first time. I started the seed in it. Seedling is 1/4" right now. 5 gallon bucket.. 10" pot with hydroton. Figured I would let it gio without any nut es. Just distilled water for now. When would be a good time to add nutrients? After a couple sets of true leaves?
I start adding nutrients at half the recommended dosage once they have their first set of true leaves. Then after about 2 weeks I give them the full recommended dosage. It seems to be working well for me, but others do it differently.

Edward

Edgie what PPM are you running?

I was about 1000 when I had the green lush leaves like that, but I dropped mine down to 450 as Willard3 had recommended to me because pepper plants really are not engineered
like tomatoes to genetically use all that extra nutrient, so in my eyes I was pissing away double the nutrients I should have been.

I had like 9" long leaves on some and like 6.5" wide. But from what I read that high nitrogen will just make leaves big and no real fruit, I would rather have NO leaves and HUGE fruit.

On the pinching question, I would pinch for sure, it hurts to pinch those babies off, but I did that and had some amazing 2nd sets of buds on a few plants, to the point that all I saw was buds
the second set. SO pinching my 15 first helped a TON. I believe superhot had told me to pinch and I agree 110% now.

Edgie what PPM are you running?

I was about 1000 when I had the green lush leaves like that, but I dropped mine down to 450 as Willard3 had recommended to me because pepper plants really are not engineered
like tomatoes to genetically use all that extra nutrient, so in my eyes I was pissing away double the nutrients I should have been.

I had like 9" long leaves on some and like 6.5" wide. But from what I read that high nitrogen will just make leaves big and no real fruit, I would rather have NO leaves and HUGE fruit.

On the pinching question, I would pinch for sure, it hurts to pinch those babies off, but I did that and had some amazing 2nd sets of buds on a few plants, to the point that all I saw was buds
the second set. SO pinching my 15 first helped a TON. I believe superhot had told me to pinch and I agree 110% now.
I'm getting a PPM meter this Friday (payday :woohoo: ). I'll let you know what it's at. Like I said in one of your threads, I'd like to go 1:1:1 on the nutes. Once I get the PPM meter I will try it, but not with this plant. It's my wife's :) .

So, I should pinch the first 15 buds off each plant? Thanks.

Regards,
Edward

I had very good success pinching the first set of buds. I think its more of a reproduction thing for the plant saying, reproduce more because the 1st few failed.
Also I have read about the first few buds stunting the plant permanently at that height if they get to the fruit set, the plant goes into the reproduce and halt growing stage.

I have noticed that in my upper nodes on my plants are the most buds, so those lower level branches below like the 3rd have next to nothing but the upper nodes are the big producers.

I'm hoping for a big harvest.

Edgie can you message me I'm looking at a MH light, and shopping around.

What kind of coverage area is it for you? I have 4 main plants in 5 gallon totes, and 2 five gallon pails, do you think with a light like yours there is room for a good spread out with them?

I'm tying to stay away from cross pollination I'm going to start gluing buds I think.

Back