• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

(EDIT: Getting Worst!!!) My plants need your help!

Problem started about 4 days ago

Leaf discoloration / Deformation

48622285.jpg

ac1ym.jpg

p2240005.jpg

p2240008f.jpg

p2240009vc.jpg

This one starts showing some deformation, too

rf3b.jpg

rf4e.jpg

p2240010b.jpg

This one  was almost dead so i did some topping... Still cannot find what is wrong.

19837393.jpg

nm1fm.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

-----------------
manolo

holyhotpeppers said:
Have you checked your soil PH? What kind of soil are you usuing? What are your nutes?

PH is 6.7 - 6.9. Too high?

I don't use any ferts since the soil is a mix of compost, vermicompost, peat and perlite. I spray them once in a while with some seaweeds, some compost strains and some epsom salt. You think the damage was done by the epsom salts? Last time i sprayed with salts was 5 days ago...

Scarlet Fire said:
Doesn't sound like overwatering or pH too high or low then. My guess would be Ca and/or Fe deficiency if everything has been well fed.
Nutrient+deficiency.jpg
hydromike said:
Calcium deficiency, for sure.
megahot said:
Give it some water and if ypu havent fed it anything but seaweed in the last few weeks, Id feed em
Ok, i got some chilli focus. Should i give it a try? Foliar spray or watering? Which is the best way?

Thanks for your answers!

spicy_echo said:
Here we go again with the cal-mag lol maybe this is an actual case of needing it. What about nutrient lock? It seems to be something overlooked many times before going straight to a fert.

What can i do if the problem is nutrient lock? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Feed the soil! Foliar spray is meant as a supplemental fertilizing, and there is actually very little scientific evidence that shows that foliar feeding has any significant effect on plant growth (athough some swear by it).

hydromike said:
Feed the soil! Foliar spray is meant as a supplemental fertilizing, and there is actually very little scientific evidence that shows that foliar feeding has any significant effect on plant growth (athough some swear by it).
Thanks, i'll do that.

BTW, Life is Good, indeed

Are you watering with city supplied water or from a well, or other source? I ask because a lot of municipal water sources have good amounts of calcium and magnesium it's just unavailable due to the high pH of city water. The pH is usually buffered up to 8 or higher to reduce degradation of water mains, which makes the ca and mg unavailable. The pH of your fertigation water is more important in container growing than the pH of the soil itself in my opinion.

Watering with some white vinegar added to your tap might go a long way to help your issues if you are watering with hig pH water.

P.s. just noticed you are in Greece, so I'm not sure what your water supply is like there...

spydrweb77 said:
Are you watering with city supplied water or from a well, or other source? I ask because a lot of municipal water sources have good amounts of calcium and magnesium it's just unavailable due to the high pH of city water. The pH is usually buffered up to 8 or higher to reduce degradation of water mains, which makes the ca and mg unavailable. The pH of your fertigation water is more important in container growing than the pH of the soil itself in my opinion.

Watering with some white vinegar added to your tap might go a long way to help your issues if you are watering with hig pH water.

P.s. just noticed you are in Greece, so I'm not sure what your water supply is like there...
I use regular tap water. I check the ph every 10 days and it's always around 6.5 - 6.9 maximum.

Anyway, i fed them some chilli focus last night. How long does it take to see the results? Maybe a couple of days?

Try taking a sample of your tap and letting it sit overnight before testing it.  The pH will often "rebound" once the water has sat and stabilized for a bit.  The 6.5 - 6.9 readings your are getting may not be 100% accurate if you are testing the water right after taking a sample.

I know you are in Greece, but over here, they add so many buffers to my water that it usually tests over 9.0.

I have never used chili focus or any other foliars really, so I'm not sure how long it may take.  I would not expect much recovery in the damaged leaves as ca and mg are not very mobile. So, the new growth should improve once you figure things out, but the damaged portions of the plant will probably remain that way.

Are you growing any other plants?  If so, are those suffering any similar problems?  Just asking because it may help you narrow down any possibly problems...

Can you get a quality report from whoever supplies your tap water??  Maybe there is excessive chlorine or chloramines in the water that is causing a problem... 

My tap water generally does not cause any issues with my in ground plants, but my plants in containers do much better when I off-gas the chlorine and add a little vinegar to bring the pH down.

locopao said:
Ok, i got some chilli focus. Should i give it a try? Foliar spray or watering? Which is the best way?

Thanks for your answers!

What can i do if the problem is nutrient lock? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Well PH levels to high can cause nute lock for sure but it doesn't sound like that is the case here. I'm no expert on soil, but just like mike said. Feed your soil with good, natural, organic nutes. Compost Tea is a good place to start. No idea what is available to you in Greece. I didn't realize until last year that I was using fish emulsion, seaweed, a few other nutes, and all of it was probably getting washed away by the city water I was pouring into it. I would check for sure on a water report with the city if available and go from there. Chlorine in water can kill anything living in your soil. That's something that can be easily avoided just by leaving it sitting out in the sun for a day.

spydrweb77 said:
Try taking a sample of your tap and letting it sit overnight before testing it.  The pH will often "rebound" once the water has sat and stabilized for a bit.  The 6.5 - 6.9 readings your are getting may not be 100% accurate if you are testing the water right after taking a sample.

I know you are in Greece, but over here, they add so many buffers to my water that it usually tests over 9.0.

I have never used chili focus or any other foliars really, so I'm not sure how long it may take.  I would not expect much recovery in the damaged leaves as ca and mg are not very mobile. So, the new growth should improve once you figure things out, but the damaged portions of the plant will probably remain that way.

Are you growing any other plants?  If so, are those suffering any similar problems?  Just asking because it may help you narrow down any possibly problems...

Can you get a quality report from whoever supplies your tap water??  Maybe there is excessive chlorine or chloramines in the water that is causing a problem... 

My tap water generally does not cause any issues with my in ground plants, but my plants in containers do much better when I off-gas the chlorine and add a little vinegar to bring the pH down.

I usually let the water sit for a day or two before i use it. The thing is that i water every other plant i got straight from the hose, without de-chlorinating the water, never had an issue. Even some "difficult" plants (gardenias, azaleas) look ok and they get way much water than my peppers ( i water them every day)

Is there any possibility the damage is done by aphids? I had some issues last week but i used some nettle juice as foliar spray and the aphids are now completely gone. Just a thought..
spicy_echo said:

Well PH levels to high can cause nute lock for sure but it doesn't sound like that is the case here. I'm no expert on soil, but just like mike said. Feed your soil with good, natural, organic nutes. Compost Tea is a good place to start. No idea what is available to you in Greece. I didn't realize until last year that I was using fish emulsion, seaweed, a few other nutes, and all of it was probably getting washed away by the city water I was pouring into it. I would check for sure on a water report with the city if available and go from there. Chlorine in water can kill anything living in your soil. That's something that can be easily avoided just by leaving it sitting out in the sun for a day.

Yes, i always let the water sit for a day or two before i use it in my pepper plants. By compost tea you mean the strains of the compost pile pr AACT? I've done the first one, have to find a way to do the 2nd one.

Thanks for your advices

Ok, couple of days later, plant looks very bad!

I check on it after the last night rain and it definately looks worst than it was on the first pic.

p2280017.jpg

p2280013c.jpg

p2280012z.jpg

Most all of my plants looked like that before I put them in the ground. I blamed nutrients. The last few in solo cups are nice, green and healthy since moving outdoors and getting fed once a week with in ground plants. As for the root cause for your issue I am unsure but I know my plants recovered. Best of luck.

Back