• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Eephus's 2011 Grow Log

So I've never done a grow log, but this is my third consecutive growing season (chiles and other veggies), and I'm not really sure how many overall.

It's becoming a Christmas tradition for me to start seeds after all the hubbub has died down. Usually the 26th or 27th. Probably will be both earlier and later this time 'round.

I've got a very basic germination setup that consists of two 6' 2x4 square frames and some cross bracing, plus plywood for the trays. Each 'rack' (there are two) can hold three 48" fluorescent rigs with one grow light and one 'sunlight' spectrum light. I'll post pictures when able.

This time, I've been relegated to the back office at work, having been banned from gardening activities inside my own home. It sounds ominous, doesn't it? Mainly just because we're at kid #2 as of a few weeks back, and we're out of spare rooms. We need to move, but the school district is too good, and I digress...

Anyway, I'm sorting my final grow lists out and I'll continue to post here and solicit advice (which I continue to need plenty of) as I go along. My intent is to start between 360-450 seedlings of various kinds, assess the non-germs and attrition rate in late February, and then sell off or give away any excesses.

My tomatoes are set. I'm growing JD's Special C-Tex, Porter, Sungold, and Cherokee Purple.

I'll also germinate some greens (kale and chard) and some herbs (borage, basil).

But mostly, it'll be peppers.

I also aim to do a lazily controlled experiment to compare germination rates and growth rates between starter media, including PET-based cubes, bark-based cubes (Root Riot), rockwool, and two types of potting soil.

I'm excited about starting up again, and it's weird to still have fruit ripening outside right now when while I'll have starts going again. Last year, we got hit hard on 12/6. This year, we haven't had a nasty freeze yet. Just a few light ones, and most of my 2010 stock in pots is doing just fine.

That's all for now...

"Grow Dammit!" Heh, love those signages :)

Overall, your plants looks healthy and seemed to be growing up to hurt your pain receptors

Well played man! You are prolly gonna have lots extra!
And he may be more careful with his roundup too!
:lol:

Kevin

Well, as I've now mentioned in another thread, Hugo was the least of my problems, as deer have ransacked my front beds. :(

However, I did transplant all but one of my Cross Country plants this 'weekend' (W/Th). They're WAY behind my starts, but I think I might be able to milk some crop out of the annums and a few baccatums before it gets too hot.

I'll post more pics next week. I've got early annums/baccatums popping everywhere (sweet bananas, anaheims, kaleidoscope, blushing beauty) and a few chinense, including my yellow bhut and 7-Pod are budding up. Dunno if the first ones will drop or if I'll get some fruit before hell.

Well, it's been a little over a month, so I figure I owed you guys a few pics. Didn't snap most of the plants. Just the ones that are of interest at this time.

A few shots at a time, if I can remember how to do this...

Kaleidoscope. Despite identical feeding regiments, this plant is much more light green than every other plant I have.

7-Pot 'Canopy'

7-Pot Buds & Blooms

Sweet Bananas, *finally* starting to turn red.

Early on Habanero de Arbol

The top is an overwintered White Bullet Habanero. The bottom is a volunteer Vietnamese Multi-Color (TBD on whether it grows true).

White Bullet has been busy as an early producer. Hopefully a few ripe soon!

Overwintered Chile de Arbol, starting to put out some pretty serious fruit

Another angle on the Chile de Arbol

Top view of the third-year Chocolate Habanero. Much more fruit earlier this year.

Another angle of the ChocoHab

201468ann, as part of Hot Stuff's GRIF experiments. This this is insane with fruit. Very curious to see what they're all about.

St. Vincent's Seasoning. Not sure what's going on with this pepper. Plant is tall and lean. No flowering, though. Seems to be my only early plant out with no flowers. Same feeding/watering/sun regiment as the earlier pictures 7-Pot. I'm all ears if anyone knows of a clear issue here.

Overwintered Criolla Sella 'canopy'. I have three more of these from seed this year, but this one has a much wider canopy. It didn't fruit first, but once it started, the volume is four-fold of the seeded plants.

Another 'under the covers' shot.

Another GRIF plant, 441574bac. By far my largest plant this year. Already pushing three feet.

441574back fruit. Some odd, cool looking stuff.

Another 441574bac pod shot.

Aji Dulce Yellow Fruit

Baby Yellow Bhut Jolokia. Have a few of these now. I didn't think they'd beat the heat, but we've had unseasonably cool temps in May this year, for the most part. At least compared to the last few years.

Trinidad Perfume

Trinidad Perfume Fruit

And another

Early Golden Greek Pepperoncinis. My first fruit from a Cross Country plant (I think I've got a random shishito, too).

And that's it for this round. Hopefully I'll have the time in a couple of weeks to update again instead of a monthlong gap.

This is really fun this year. Some varieties I can't wait to taste!

I like your plants. :D

You were wondering about an issue one of the plants has.. well I know that tall and no flowers usually means too much N not enough PK. I know you said they are all on the same regime but some of the leaves in those pics look slightly curled and "bubbly". I'm guessing something is going on with the nutrients. Maybe some soil in the pots have been inefcted or had something come in to affect the pH, thereby blocking nutrient uptake. You could do a soil pH test between the happy and troubled plants. If they are outside all the time then there could be bugs.

Anyway doesn't look like a major problem. It'd be good to see more pics of the fruit, if they are ripening by now.

Back