• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Eff this Chicago wind!

Damn bro, that sucks. They'll be aight though. It'll just give me a little wake up call! Hope everythings alright

Well they call this place the City of Big Shoulders for a good reason... You gotta be a bad ass pepper plant to make it in this city!

I'm just glad this sudden gust of wind occurred while I was at home, awake, and able to respond. Luckily, I had a bag of planting soil on-hand, and was able to immediately re-pot. Only lost like 20 or so leaves out of the whole ordeal. Most of them needed to come off anyway... only about 2 or 3 strong, healthy leaves got tore off from the whole mess.

I think they will bounce back and be just as good (if not better) than ever.

Nasty storms moving through. ............with hail.

With over 300 pepper and 200 potted tomato plants....I'm sure I'll see some leaf loss.

With over 300 pepper and 200 potted tomato plants.. I think you are hedging your bets :surprised:

I recently saw the thread with pics from your last crop.. very, very impressive.

What sort of fertilizer and schedule do you use?

Well, I don't live in THE windy city, but I sure live in A windy city! It's just part of springtime in the Rockies I guess, but I am SICK of it!!! I'd like to start hardening off the seedlings, but I'm afraid to stick them outside. It's been 20 - 30 mph winds for three days straight, and that's just our regular breeze this time of year. Some days it's more like 30 - 45 mph. It wouldn't be so bad if there were a little moisture in the air, but we frequently have single digit humidity levels, and only around 12" of rain a year. Last year, the winds decimated a few plants after they went in the ground, which is one of the reasons I always grow more than I have space for. That way I've got backups to replace them with.

With your winds coming off the lakes, I'm wondering about your humidity levels there? Your picture of the indoor wind damage was brutal. For a minute I thought maybe you had a cat that went ballistic on your peppers! Hope everything recovers nicely.

Lost a few leaves off my overwintering pepper plants today, before I realized how strong the winds were and brought them back inside. :banghead:

What in the world are you letting that danm wind inside for? GET OUT you bad bad wind!!!
Hope there were few if not no casulties from that errant gust.

It's like the poles have reversed sooner than expected, March = May, April = Feb. What BS. Planted everything early (mid March, and didn't have to take them in until 2 weeks ago. Just put them back out yesterday. I lived in Chicago for 20 years (1983 - 2002) and couldn't keep a yucca cane plant alive more than 2 years. In all fairness, my windows faced north, 2 blocks from Lincoln Park off the lake. Looks like quite a sorry mess ya got there sis. hehe

Such a jolly good plant... one last look before it gets tossed out and thrown asunder

s8gNq.jpg

Back