• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

effects of a bonfire on peppers?

Saturday night, my brother decided to have a bonfire in the backyard less than 2 feet from my garden. I'm wondering if that would have adverse effects on my peppers. I've already noticed that the soil was more dry than normal. I don't want to lose any peppers because of his lack of consideration. If anyone has anything they can share, I'd really appreciate it. thanks.

If it was going to do anything it would have already. You sound a bit like a worrier like myself. Give them some water and enjoy growing them. :)

I had a roaring fire about 6 feet away from some plants not long ago. One of them suffered but came good again, if you can't see any browning now i doubt that you have harmed them at all.

Only thing I'd think would be an after effect would be ashes blowing into your pepper patch , getting watered in and adjusting the PH.
Would be a slow process and could help with pod set or slow it down depending on your soil nutrients etc. already.
Wood ash is used to help with calcium,potasium and is alakaline and could help with pod set, if I remember right.
Heat didn't cook your plants so all I see is a + from the fire in general.

Less than two feet could have scorched some leaves but other than that I couldn't see much in the way of after-effects.

The heat probably dried the soil and that's all. Water and enjoy, but keep a close eye on em if you're worried about anything.

I tossed an aphid infested plant into a bonfire once, the effect was pretty amazing. It killed EVERY SINGLE aphid. Not a single aphid survived. So I would have to say that a bonfire has an amazing pesticide effect on plants.

chillilover- I try not to think of myself as a worrier, but everyone I know tells me otherwise.

everythings looking good, although one plant looks a bit trampled. no scorching or cooked peppers so i think I'm good to go

Richard- interesting choice of pesticide. can't say I've ever tried it.

thanks everyone for the input.

well smoke and the smell of it does scare off any insect. but then bees also get scared off by it too. which sucks.

I tossed an aphid infested plant into a bonfire once, the effect was pretty amazing. It killed EVERY SINGLE aphid. Not a single aphid survived. So I would have to say that a bonfire has an amazing pesticide effect on plants.

:rofl:

Back