• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Effects of rain/temp on podding

I have noticed over the past few days that my plants have been producing pods that are quite a bit different from what they have been producing the rest of the season. And I am only putting my orange habs and jalapenos into this because they have been producing for a while.

We have had about 5-7 inches of rain over the past 5 days with temps in the mid 80's, a departure from our 3 months of no and temps in the high 90's, my plants are producing abnormally large pods compared to what they were producing a month ago. My Jalapenos have been consistently small and no more than 2 inches long, and now they are getting between 3-4 inches long and are looking more like a normal jalapeno than they dwarf sized ones I have been getting all summer. My habs are getting huge also, and to put that into perspective, about a week after they set, they are roughly the size of a golf ball.

The question I have is this due to the rain or is it due to the 10 degree drop in the outside temps?

This has also had a strange effect on my Bhut's, which have not produced any pods this year, are now setting pods like no tomorrow.

Back