• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

ehc's 1st grow season - 1st aji pineapple

As a younger man I used to love hot foods, but over the years sort of drifted to the mild. After and extended trip through South and Central America with my wife I started getting back into foods with heat and in particular chillis. When we finally got back we started a little herb garden on our balcony. After chatting with my cousin (Nee), i decided to give pepper growing a go.

I started with two seedlings from a local big box store, an orange hab and a mystery chilli called razzamattaz (i think). The raz fruited well, but the hab flowered a small bit, but that was that. They started to get a bit mangy at the start of winter so I pruned them right back and brought them inside. They withered a bit in May/June and I thought they were just about gone. Any way, I repotted the hab and gave some slow release ferts and it has come back strong, more foliage than ever and even some flowers. The other has come back a bit more slowly, but I only gave ferts to this one and not re-potted. Pretty happy really as have used no tech and it has been a bit cold here (down to 0 celsius) overnight.

Having the bug I also planted some store bought seeds and also some from Grant from JungleRain at the start of winter. A bit crazy as I have no tech, but I was keen to give it a go. The results, I had 3 of the store boughts sprout which was cool and also a manzano red and one the raz's (seeds i took from a grown pod). I had to separate two of the store boughts as they were in the same pot. Things were going well for awhile, but we went away for one weekend and when we got back one was dead, one was dying and the other needed a bit of love and the manzano and raz were dead as the fungus gnats had gotten at them. Was pretty shattered. But it happens really. The remaining two store bought seeds are fighting back and hopefuly they get stronger as the weather starts warming up. They are both still small, maybe 5 centimeters tall with 15-20 leaves each, but considering that they had to fight their way through winter, i'm stoked.

The plan now is to plant a whole bunch of jiffys in August and hope that I have a good little balcony garden ready for spring/summer. My grow list for this year is small, but i think that is probably best for a beginner:

Birds Eye (seed taken from bought pods)
Pimienta Pitanga (seed from JungleRain)
Aji Dulce Yellow (seed from JungleRain)
Aji Pineapple (seed from JungleRain)
Bahamian Goat Pepper (seed from JungleRain)
Habanero White Jellybean (seed from JungleRain)
Razzamattaz/Big Box Special (seed taken from grown pod)
Aji Cachaca (seed from JungleRain)
Manzano Red (seed from JungleRain)
Bishops Crown (gift from nee)
Olho de Peixe (seeds from eBay)
Orange Habanero (big box store)
F1 Super Hot (nursery seeds)

I will update with some photos of the existing plants soon and will update with the August grow as it goes.

Would greatly appreciated any feedback, tips, etc as I go. As being a newbie help is required.

Cheers all :fireball:

Reactions: nee
Going well there, for sure, Barnard!
Balcony pics are awesome.

ooooooh! a bonus on the [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Olho de Peixe Bernard! My seedling is still very much a seedling, with nothing happening at all.....hoping that flower turns into a pod for ya![/background]

Well it's all starting to happen now. The Hab and F1 are pumping out the pods and I now have some pods coming through on the Bahamian Goat Pepper, Big Box Mystery, Birds Eye, Aji Pineapple and Aji Dulce. Pretty pleased. It also gets the wife off my back. For weeks she saying 'what do we need to do to get the Habs to ripen?', my response, wait. So when they finally started ripening we were both stoked. She's made 2 salsa and 3 dips from some of the habs and a couple of meals with the F1. Our friends are amazed that we've grown so much on the balcony and walk away happy when we give them a handful of F1s to take home.

So the pods.

Habs
IMG_8302.JPG

Aji Pineapple
IMG_8305.JPG

F1
IMG_8303.JPG

Bahamian Goat Pepper
IMG_8306.JPG

Big Box Mystery
IMG_8307.JPG

Harvest (get this much every other day at the moment)
IMG_8310.JPG

Current Hab crop versus First Crop of the Season
IMG_8312.JPG

Cheers

Don't know where I've been? Nice grow buddy! Fun to read through and watch the progress. Great persistence and its payed off! :dance: How many of these you going to overwinter and are you thinking about getting a little setup going to keep them rockin inside?

Hi EHC
Harvest is looking good! If the mystery box chile gets about 5 cm long and bright red, it might be a facing heaven chile from China. PeriPeri has some growing in his garden. Cheers!

Don't know where I've been? Nice grow buddy! Fun to read through and watch the progress. Great persistence and its payed off! :dance: How many of these you going to overwinter and are you thinking about getting a little setup going to keep them rockin inside?
Shane,

Not too sure what I'm going to overwinter. We've got limited space inside so i'll have to be selective. At this stage, my wife wants the F1 and the Hab and I want the Olho de Peixe, so they are definites. With the rest, we'll have to wait and see. My guess is the ones that my wife likes to eat will be kept :-)

Hi EHC
Harvest is looking good! If the mystery box chile gets about 5 cm long and bright red, it might be a facing heaven chile from China. PeriPeri has some growing in his garden. Cheers!
Rick,

Thanks for that. The ones that I have managed to grow never really get above 2 - 3 cm as per the photo attached. Although, on the photo card we got with the plant the photo show larger/longer chillis. It tastes quite nice and has a medium heat to it. What does Peri Peri think in terms of the taste?

IMG_8318.JPG

And some more of the massive habs that my plant is churning out at the moment. Way more than happy with this output considering it almost didn't make through the winter.

IMG_8317.JPG

Cheers.

Not a great deal to report. Seem to be picking a couple of habs and F1s every other day and have not gotten my first ripe aji pineapple. Think i'm going to make a homemade tomato salsa to go with breaded flathead and homemade chips.

Hab and F1
IMG_8329.JPG

Hab, F1, Big Box Mystery and Aji Pineapple
IMG_8333.JPG

My Frozen Collection
IMG_8331.JPG

My Frozen Collection Spread Out
IMG_8330.JPG

Cheers.

Back