• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

El Cheapo-Budget Smackdown!

How would we factor in the cost of ferts? Not using them would be cheap, but if pod/plant size is a factor then some people might use them?

I am out of this one guys, I have spent so much money on starting equipment this year its not funny, well it kinda is funny for the end result of frying a whole in my stomach LOL
3 36" fixtures with t12 bulbs - $50
Wood and supplies for grow box - Aprox $125 (but I like it and think it is nice)
4 bags of grow mix - $30ish
100 10 ounce cups - $3
Timer - $9
Does my wasted time count? Or is it not a waste if I am enjoying myself? (because I really am enjoying this)

Total $217 Ouch LOL

And then there are the seeds I have purchased and beer I have drank (currently drinking), we wont go into the costs of that...

I am definitely out on this one...got too much tied up in growing equipment...but

I was thinking....

POTAWIE said:
What if you grow in newspaper pots.

MrArboc said:
how large you could make a newspaper pot and how long it could last? Could you make them so sturdy you can move them?

if you have old phone books around that have not been recycled, you could use thicker sections of them, each layer wrapped in news paper, mix up some flour and water for your glue and make a dang sturdy paper mache anything...and you can shape the container any way you want...if you don't want to do that...here is a link on paper mache flower pots...

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/31081_how-to-make-paper-flower-pots

My .02 cents on how to score this Smackdown:

Y = Total Yield lbs (of each type of Pepper Grown)

C =complexity factor (1 for each type of pepper or species)

TC = Total Operation Cost dollars

Smackdown Score = Sum(Y*C) / TC

You would have to tweak C to find an appropriate scale for the complexity.

JJBagoose said:

Now my head hurts

JJBagoose said:

GHAAAA! Head hurts :(

Actually have been mulling this over the weekend (when not dedicating time to the soon to be Mrs. Aji Chombo):

1. Seeds will be included in the cost if you purchased them, but only if you purchased them after the entry date (1 Dec 2009). If not we'd have to do an even more complex depreciation/increase formula for the cost of the seeds (if you bought them in 2005, for example), and unless we have a trained economist or statistitian in our ranks, that will just lead to more headaches.
2. Following a similar (but less mathematically challengin) vein to JJBagoose, the smackdown won't just be about who grows things the cheapest (otherwise anyone can take some seeds given to them in the forum, toss them out into a compost heap, and let nature do it's thang and Bingo! instant winner), but on a combination of the similar (dang it! ya got to them before me...) factors: Costs, creativity (of use of materials for growing), complexity (types being grown) and productivity (how much in weight). Makes it a bit more fair on everyone and allows more people to take part. As to which currency to use for this, it was a bit of a crapshoot, really. The suggestion of the Euro was considered...until I though of the small fact that if Greece falls in the next few months, the Euro goes down the toilet and it skewes everything. Same thing if we go with the Dollar and the Pound, which stand to benefit significantly if the Greeks can't pay their debts (I simply cannot believe I've had to learn economics for this smackdown!) :P Therefore, like true Captains of Industry (tries to write this while not laughing), the currency to be used shall be the Swiss Franc, as fixed to today (February 15th) prices (and here's hoping the swiss don't go bankrupt in the next 6 months). It was either that or the Mexican Peso (in honor of the fact that this is a chilli/chile smackdown). Actually, after some more thought, this would just drag on endlessly from currency to currency... simply state the day you made a purchase and the equivalent in Euros, Dollars and Pound Sterling so that voters have a general idea of how much you spent. Yes, this will after all, also be put to a vote.
3. Be honest. If you use your hot water heater to provide heat for germinating your seeds, then it's just a part of your regular heating bill and should not be included. But if you have started using your bedside lamp to provide lighting for your plants 8 hours a day more than what you'd normally use said light, then add the cost of electricity to this. And so on and so forth :P

I hope this covers most of everything. If anyone has any other things to add, let me know. :)

POTAWIE said:
I'm going for a zero cost plant, much easier to calculate, but what plants have higher complexity value?

I guess I was thinking the Superhots and other plants with longer seasons might warrant a higher score.

So if I grow 10 lbs of Jalepeno for the same cost you grow 10 lbs of Sorpions you would have a better score.

btw, I really didn't think the math was that complicated :P

JJBagoose said:
I guess I was thinking the Superhots and other plants with longer seasons might warrant a higher score.

So if I grow 10 lbs of Jalepeno for the same cost you grow 10 lbs of Sorpions you would have a better score.

btw, I really didn't think the math was that complicated :P

I'm an arts student (though my last degree does say Faculty of Engineering...but it's all a clever ruse to allow me to walk up to buildings and bridges and say 'That looks safe to me. Trust me, I'm an engineer! ;)) Maths is always a complex thing to me...

I was thinking (in terms of plant complexity), of people who want to enter the smackdown, but want to grow some of the wild species, or some species that might be more 'troublesome' to grow (Like Rocotos), or plants with a longer season (like JJBagoose said). I could get two harvests of some types of annuums before I get the first one of a particular chinense, for example.

OK, I've been working around the Clock and I think I've finally simplified the formula for this Smackdown:

a06frm04.gif

What do you think?

Aji Chombo said:
I'm an arts student (though my last degree does say Faculty of Engineering...but it's all a clever ruse to allow me to walk up to buildings and bridges and say 'That looks safe to me. Trust me, I'm an engineer! ;)) Maths is always a complex thing to me...

I was thinking (in terms of plant complexity), of people who want to enter the smackdown, but want to grow some of the wild species, or some species that might be more 'troublesome' to grow (Like Rocotos), or plants with a longer season (like JJBagoose said). I could get two harvests of some types of annuums before I get the first one of a particular chinense, for example.
I like the idea of the El Cheapo Rocoto grow. Manzano would count wouldnt they?

I've already stated all my longer season plants(Pubescens and chinenses) last month, so I'll likely have to use an annuum

But the chinenses should have fruited well before 31 october, shouldn't they?

And yes, pics here would be very cool!

P1010870.jpg

This is where my seeds are germinating...might as well use the heat off the boiler :)

Aji Chombo said:
But the chinenses should have fruited well before 31 october, shouldn't they?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying
The ones I started in January should fruit fine, but they weren't started ghetto fashion and its to late for me to start any more chinenses so I'll probably just try 1 or 2 zero cost annuums just for fun

Back