• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Emerging overwinter, some plants struggling

Hey guys, this was my first year overwintering and I seem to have brought them all to within a day or 2 of their deaths in a cold and dry attic(5 didn't make it but hey, they were just sauce peppers and I get to grow something new in the places). I will put up pictures shortly, but a few seem to be stalling out with their growth, they had a cold dry spell up under a fluorescent in my attic and I wasn't home to move them, it got down into the 30's for a few days and I got them under my 400w mh after and ended up shocking a few with too long of daylight. Those developed a black streak and it moved down the stem. Should I cut off the weak, affected looking stems; it looks like the inside part carrying the water dried out and receded down to the lower part of the plant; is this just sucking energy keeping the skin of it alive or is it helping it build energy to grow? Also, my garlic has grown 7" in 4 days and they're lower down from the light? Should I raise it up? Am I giving them too intense of light? I'm running 15 hours and its been 3 weeks under mh. Also I discovered a moderate aphid problem a few days ago that I've been combatting(didn't find any today)

Orange Bell
IMG_2372.jpg

Naga Morich
IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

Fatalii or yellow bhut
IMG_2378.jpg

chocolate bell
IMG_2379.jpg

First, regarding the aphids - whatever you're doing to get rid of them, KEEP DOING IT for several more days, like a week or two. the larvae are pretty resistant to chemicals, and you HAVE to get those bad boys as soon as they hatch.

Most of your OW's look fine. As long as there's some green to them, don't worry too much about it. the cut branches will not start growing again, anyway, but new branches will begin at various growth nodes. Note that even if they get to a point where they look all woody and even dead, they might not be. I had one that got like that a couple years ago and kept watering it "just in case", and it turned out fine. Doesn't mean you can't lose one, but they're tougher than most of us realize. Just try to keep them fairly warm, especially with spring just around the corner.

Hey whats with the garlic peelings? Did you plant some and just drop some skin in there, or are you using it for some sort of anti-viral or bacterial?

Back