• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Ok ... We continue,

Cuting meat stripes into 1cm cubes

2014-09-05%252020.31.34.jpg

Add to skillet with sauteed vegetables

2014-09-05%252020.32.40.jpg

Crushed th tomatoes in small cubes, and add to skillet

2014-09-05%252020.34.36.jpg

2014-09-05%252020.34.59.jpg

Cooking for 10 minutes, add water 250cc and cookind for 20 minutes more 

2014-09-05%252020.38.01.jpg

Chop the olives and add stirring constantly.

2014-09-05%252020.41.36.jpg

The tapas para empanadas!  This mark is exported to the United States, should be easy to find there, maybe in Wal-Mart

2014-09-05%252020.49.28.jpg

Finally, when the filling cook, bucking egg is added. My wife does.

2014-09-05%252020.51.07.jpg

Once filled and placed in a dish in the oven takes about 15 to 20 minutes.

Once filled and placed in a dish in the oven takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The dish should be sprayed with oil to prevent sticking and break when you remove them

2014-09-05%252021.07.58.jpg

Cooked in the oven with firewood

2014-09-05%252021.49.39.jpg

2014-09-05%252021.52.40.jpg

Like to try ???

2014-09-05%252021.55.19.jpg

Que Rico!

Damn they look good... i know those flavors well.... love the use of onion, leek and green onion.... i dont see many people using all three, but together they can create amazing flavor.....

geeme said:
Very nice, CH! 

I am curious about the empanada wrappers - they look more like a pastry dough - are they?

Yes! Is a pastry dough. There are several types of pastry, these "criollas" type, and the pastry is not as obvious. Criollas is more like homemade dough

Tinnie said:
Que Rico!

Damn they look good... i know those flavors well.... love the use of onion, leek and green onion.... i dont see many people using all three, but together they can create amazing flavor.....

in our kitchen they combination is ussually used (in baked goods such). Not all makers of empanadas doing so. this is a realy form and ingredients. But exist others forms. Most do not use leeks, leeks gives a distinctive flavor of real empanadas.

dough recipe

The basic recipe for homemade dough for empanadas takes flour, fat and oil or brine. You may add paprika (sweet or hot) diluted in water, to give it color and flavor.

• Preparation Time 

+ 1 huor
  •  

- Melt 7oz  of fat over low heat pellet 

- Besides, make the brine by mixing one tablespoon of salt to a cup of water (about: the quality of the flour and the prevailing humidity can vary the amount of water) 

- Form a mountain with a 2 pounds purpose flour, make a well in the center and add the melted fat there pellet and warm.      Combine ingredients, sprinkling with a little pickle (the dough should not be soft) to form a bun. Cover the dough and let rest 30    minutes 

- Cut into rolls the size of a ping-pong and stretch of one of 3 millimeters thick 

- Let stand for 10 minutes to fill.

Original recipes empanadas .http://www.cocinerosargentinos.com/recetas/15/Empanadas.html

cypresshill1973 said:
dough recipe

The basic recipe for homemade dough for empanadas takes flour, fat and oil or brine. You may add paprika (sweet or hot) diluted in water, to give it color and flavor.

• Preparation Time  + 1 huor
  •  

- Melt 7oz  of fat over low heat pellet 

- Besides, make the brine by mixing one tablespoon of salt to a cup of water (about: the quality of the flour and the prevailing humidity can vary the amount of water) 

- Form a mountain with a 2 pounds purpose flour, make a well in the center and add the melted fat there pellet and warm.      Combine ingredients, sprinkling with a little pickle (the dough should not be soft) to form a bun. Cover the dough and let rest 30    minutes 

- Cut into rolls the size of a ping-pong and stretch of one of 3 millimeters thick 

- Let stand for 10 minutes to fill.

Original recipes empanadas .http://www.cocinerosargentinos.com/recetas/15/Empanadas.html
Thank you for the tutorial detailing your recipe CH...and for the link to the all the other empanada recipes.
CM

Pics pics pics!

I like the onion mix too, and I love leeks, especially baby leeks in stir fry! Nice filling.

The Hot Pepper said:
I thought you were gonna show us that, why this whole thing started after someone posted puff pastry.

:(

My wife never made empanada dough. Neither did. Here are sold everywhere and are very good. The next, I will make homemade dough  :drooling:

Well when you said you could get it at Wal-Mart, I doubted it. :P

Here in the US, that's not where you find quality goods.

I'm not sure of your question, but I'll answer - WalMart is a huge chain that targets people looking for low prices. Often what is sold there is "cheap" (poorly made), as well. There are some staples you might get there - laundry soap, toilet paper, and the like, but the food is generally meh. If you've got a large family you need to feed and don't care much about quality, shop there. 

I'll qualify this a tad - they do sell branded items there; a can of Bush's (brand) beans at WalMart is no different from a can of Bush's beans at any other grocery store. However, WalMart tries to purvey the idea that everything is less expensive there, but that's not always true. That can of brand-name beans may be the same price or even cost more than you'd pay elsewhere. 

How well I understand. Wal-Mart is also in Argentina and there are many shops. However. But here find quality merchandise, despite low prices. And the rule holds equally as comets. It is not always cheaper.

I commented on Wal-Mart because nustro government requires domestic merchandise exported to foreign companies just as imported merchandise to sell locally. So I thought you might find empanasdas caps at Wal-Mart

Excellent!!! [SIZE=14.3999996185303px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.3999996185303px]they look great[/SIZE]I

Do not know that brand. Here often unknown brands, better quality

Back