• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Empanadas...

I'd like to dedicate this appetizer recipe to a good Argentine friend of mine, Ruben whose recovering from a 5-way heart by-pass. He spent a good part of his life traveling with his band (drummer) from one country to the next. ........ here's my take on the dish probably similar to one that's made from a South American region

Ingredients: Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Culantro, Italian Parsley, Lime Leaves, Garlic, Onion, Shallot, Scallions, Jamaican Red Hab, Aji Venezolano Pepper, Eggs, Flour, Flour, Cream, Pepper, Salt, Ground Beef (85/15) Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Cumin, Golden Raisens, Paprika, Spanish Olives.

Blend the 1/2 cup of each Mint, Cilantro, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Culantro,  ,...Lime Leaves (3), Scallions (green parts only)  4 chopped green Aji Peppers along with 2 tbls of water. While blender is running drizzle in Olive Oil to a loose but blended sauce forms. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Set aside. ...Meanwhile, hard boil eggs...when cooled down, peel and chop. Set aside.

Brown the Ground Beef  (2lbs) in 2 tbls of Sunflower Oil, add  1 chopped onion, 6 minced Garlic Cloves,5 Red Habaneros, 2 tbl Cumin, 1 tbl Paprika, When the meat is browned remove pan from heat  Stir in Hard Boiled Eggs, 1/2  c of Golden Raisens,  1/2 c chopped Olives. Set aside

In a mixer cream 1 stick of unsalted Butter and 8oz Cream Cheese. Fold in and gradually mix 1.5 c Flour, 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tbl Sugar,  Remove dough when clumped together. Knead to combine and flatten into disc.

Place dough in the fridge for at least 30 min. ( I made 2 discs total).

The dough was removed from the fridge and rolled out to about 1/8" thick piece. I used a 4" cutting disc, then placed each piece in a tortilla press to get a thin uniform piece. A smell scoop was used for the filling and a brush of a beaten Egg was brushed on half the dough. Fold dough over and pinch/fold the edges. Fire up oven to 350. Brush tops of Empanadas with a mix of beated Egg and Cream.

Bake for 12 to 15 min.   ...(I should have used a regular size sheet pan)....over sized pans have there purpose, but even with a convection running its difficult to get an even bake with the lack of overall air circ.

The plating....Beef Empanadas with a slurry of Chimichurri............hmm..........where's the Malbec ?

Chili Monsta said:
....wondering why you might have an issue with the "grey" description for the stage of cooking...would you feel better if it was referred to as medium rare cubed meat?...its about the same thing....

LOL!

Just because: https://www.google.com/search?q=graying+meat&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS525US525&oq=graying+meat&aqs=chrome.0.69i59.9671j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

And that's even searching the verb, as in "graying" it like you said.

Gray/grey = bad meat to most people.

I understand what you mean and it's no biggie!!!!!!!! I personally just like the term color or browning better. :)

Any recipe I have ever seen that calls for ground beef to be cooked in a pan first says to brown it.

CM: The meat will never be dry inside the pie, unless overcook while preparing filling.
The filling should only brown and should be juicy. It is cooled and used to fill.
When you bake, juices trapped in the filler will come out and be juicy pie.

If you still want more juicy, you can add one to fill mashed tomatoes, ground paprika and olive oil. That will make your pie dripping juice and enhances the flavor.

FreeportBum said:
this is one thing I have never made but always wanted to! those look great. here they call them hand pies
Ended up making them for the fist time last night all from scratch. Forgot to take pic's but here's a left over shot from this morning. They were really good
handpies_zpse20191ec.jpg

Thanks guys, sorry forgot to mention the filling. First time out so I wanted to do something simple that i'm familiar with, made a version of chicken pot pie. Smoked a whole chicken over apple wood, then added corn,peas,carrots,celery, to the chicken after it had been cooled and diced. Made a gravy with roux and chicken stock,fresh rosemary,garlic,shallot that I cooled and then put some of that in with the filling. 

Making these again soon with some fresh bison meat, then when I have time I will do pulled pork. 

Empanadas de Pollo Cazuela Americano? Sounds awesome, FB.

Although the use of Cazuela is totally misleading here because it is a literal translation for pot and really doesn't make sense unless you know what Chicken Pot Pie is.

FreeportBum said:
Thanks guys, sorry forgot to mention the filling. First time out so I wanted to do something simple that i'm familiar with, made a version of chicken pot pie. Smoked a whole chicken over apple wood, then added corn,peas,carrots,celery, to the chicken after it had been cooled and diced. Made a gravy with roux and chicken stock,fresh rosemary,garlic,shallot that I cooled and then put some of that in with the filling. 

Making these again soon with some fresh bison meat, then when I have time I will do pulled pork. 

Just curious.  Will you be graying the bison meat or browning it?

For the bison I figured I would boil it then hit it with a blow torch  :P  all kidding aside my local spot has some really nice bison in right now, all cuts, ribeyes,sirloin,ny strip,short rib,etc. Thinking about grilling some sirloin to rare then making cheese steak hand pies.  

THP the wash was one yolk with a splash of double cream. then baked. can't believe iv'e never made these before. great for taking out on the ice while fishing or on the MT while boarding. :cheers:  

Best part is you can fill them with whatever you want. Next time you make a large meal instead of putting leftovers in the fridge have some pastry ready to go and bake some off. Indian curries, BBQ chicken, whatever. Now that you nailed the technique!

just got done putting the grind to some bison shorties and sirloin. Coming here for inspiration/ideas as to what else to put into my filling for tonight... any suggestions?  :cheers:

I just love me some meat pies.  A few years back a bunch of Aussies on here were showing them off.  I think there even might have been a throwdown.

Back