• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Emu had a good weekend...

I've been a bbq judge through KCBS for a couple of years now, and early this summer some family and I decided to start our own competition team. We had a good showing at our first 2 contests, getting called up 3 times in the two. This past weekend was the American Royal, which is a huge contest in Kansas City, and anyone who is anyone tries to cook in it. Being only hour or so away we decided to go for it and figured at worst we would have a good weekend of partying and eating bbq. But we got called again!!! At the friggin' Royal! :woohoo: :party: :woohoo: We got 12th overall in the chicken category, out of 483!

Anyway, we were pleased. And I thought I'd share!

any good mop sauce that you could share for us here?

been doing some ribs on charcoal and always looking for traditionnal and very good sauce or spice(dry rub) to impress my invites!

Well-I responded here earlier, now it's gone. I'm not very techie...

We really don't use much sauce, and the sauce we do use is made by other teams. We figure that they put in time and effort to make it, so there is no need to try and reinvent the wheel. We do add a pinch of this and a little of that, but that's about it. We use some rubs made by a team called smokin' guns. We also use some sauces called "Stubbs", some by "The Slabs" and then some plain old Cattlemans sauce. We inject our pork and brisket, with worchestershire and apple juice and other stuff.

Really it's just a matter of cooking enough to try a bunch of different combinations, which is something I can't wait to try with my own hot sauces next season!!

Back