• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Enchilada Lasange (mild heat)

This recipe was not included in the spicy food section because it's not made extra hot. It's just an easy way to make a nice meal that will feed 4-8 people)

Recipe by Alton Brown
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/enchilada-lasagna-recipe/index.html

Ingredients
For sauce:
2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds, freshly ground
2 cups chicken broth
3 cups tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For filling:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
1 1/2 cups diced onion
Pinch kosher salt
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
3 cups shredded queso fresco or Monterey Jack
Nonstick cooking spray
Directions
Combine the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chiles are soft. Set aside until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken until cooked through, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a medium bowl. Add the onions to the same pan along with a generous pinch of salt, decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the chicken back to the pan and remove from the heat.

Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the dish. Dip 4 tortillas into the remaining sauce and lay them into the bottom of the dish. Cut 1 of the tortillas in half to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Top this with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of the cheese. Starting with 4 more tortillas, repeat the layers, ending with the last 4 tortillas on top. Pour remaining sauce over the dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbly.

I followed the recipe almost exactly, I just used 2 tsp of ground Cayenne instead of chile powder and I gutted 2 Japs and soaked them in the sauce and removed. This way I could add them later if it needed the flavor. I'm more of a ground pepper fan as opposed to fresh anyway :shocked:

First I combined all sauce ingredients as directed...
sauce.jpg

Chicken browned as directed, then removed from pan
chicken.jpg

after Chicken is removed add onions to pan
onion.jpg

As directed add garlic and oregano
garlic-oregano.jpg

As directed combined with chicken and removed from heat while I get the Pan ready for layering...
returnchicken.jpg

Pam the Glass pan and add 1/2 cup of sauce, then layer with tortillas and add chicken filling on top
layer1.jpg

Cover with 1 cup Cheese and REPEAT! :) (I did 2 layers)
top layer covered with remaining sauce and remaining cheese
layercheese.jpg

Baked at 350 for 30 min covered with foil, then additional 10 without foil to bubble the cheese

COMES out Ugly but DELICIOUS!
done.jpg

done2.jpg

BEER CAT APPROVES! :!:
troubeer.jpg

Next time I'll heat it up a bit, but I need to make it basic for the first time to see where it needs to go :)

Pepperfreak said:
Sounds wounderful. I loved the step by step photos. By the way, how many MGD does it take for your cat to get drunk?

Judging by the photo, 1/3 of a bottle:lol:

j.k of course

Back