• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Encourage flowering?

I know with some plants you can modify the light cycle to essentially force flowering. Is there something similar you can do with peppers? My grow is indoor and some of the plants are getting a bit unwieldy.

They are not photosensitive and don't start flowering based on light cycles like that one plant does. The only thing I know of that seems to induce flowering is making them root bound.

I've been wondering about this myself... one of my Rocotos is almost five feet tall now but no sign of flowers... it may be as simple as not getting enough light, or the nutes might be off. Don't really know enough about this area to make that sort of judgment.

I've been wondering about this myself... one of my Rocotos is almost five feet tall now but no sign of flowers... it may be as simple as not getting enough light, or the nutes might be off. Don't really know enough about this area to make that sort of judgment.

My rocotos were flowering like crazy earlier in the year at about 2.5-3 feet tall, but hardly any flowers lately. They're about 4 feet tall now. I think maybe it's just the heat. The did managed to set about 3 or 4 pods between the two of them at the time though.

Thanks for the responses, all. It's interesting to know that their lifecycle isn't photosensitive. I'll try playing some heavy bass and maybe they'll get the idea.

I've been doing some research on this myself. From what I'm reading, increasing phosphorus can stimulate blossom production.

True. If you notice all of the "Bloom" type fertilizers have a disproportionately high percentage the P in their N-P-K ratio. The P in the ratio being Phosphorus.

It is most likely heat that causes a rocotto not to flower. Expect them to flower in the fall, they need much cooler temperatures than most peppers.

I know with some plants you can modify the light cycle to essentially force flowering. Is there something similar you can do with peppers? My grow is indoor and some of the plants are getting a bit unwieldy.
Nope, this isn't ganja were talking about ;) Whats your soil mix like? How intense is the lighting?

Nope, this isn't ganja were talking about ;) Whats your soil mix like? How intense is the lighting?

:)

Regular potting soil with vermiculite and perlite. I can't remember the mix I used exactly - maybe 4-1-1? They're under a 400 metal halide light, running roughly 16 on, 8 off. I also have a massive fricking fatalii growing in a hydro setup.

I never found a reliable way to force peppers to flower. Nothing outside of time. When they reach a certain age, they'll flower profusely but not set fruit. Give them some more time, and they fruit like nobody's business. If I severely prune older plants to sticks, they'll flower, fruit and put on vegetative growth all at the same time. They'll keep on flowering and fruiting with the shorter daylight hours in winter. The plants never let up once they mature.

Same nutes for both, yes.

For what it's worth, I have had pods off of aji habaneros, long red cayennes, and poblano
Were all the peppers started at the same time?

I never found a reliable way to force peppers to flower. Nothing outside of time. When they reach a certain age, they'll flower profusely but not set fruit. Give them some more time, and they fruit like nobody's business. If I severely prune older plants to sticks, they'll flower, fruit and put on vegetative growth all at the same time. They'll keep on flowering and fruiting with the shorter daylight hours in winter. The plants never let up once they mature.
Pretty much...+1

Back