• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Endorphin Rush" - anyone? anyone?

20 years ago I decided to make peace with fire.
So I got a branding in the shape of a lizard on my calf.
The endorphine rush was insane..... beyond anything I have ever felt.

I would bet if you got a nice hot pepper brand done, your endorphine pumps would work just fine...LOL

I have 1/3 of both arms inked from the shoulder to the t-shirt line. The pain from the 1st buzz to the last was about the same. Never felt euphoric - the pain just dulled to a consistent thing.

One session was 6.5 hours. At the 3 hour point, he got to the inside of my arm near my armpit. My eyes involuntarily watered. (I was not crying, I swear) - it was like a single tear was forcibly pushed from each eye.

Still no euphoria. Then the armpit & inner biceps sort of dulled too. Just a level of pain that didn't get worse.

Maybe there was some endorphin thing going on - I always chalked it up to getting bored with the pain. lol

I think I need a new tattoo. Hmmm

I definitely get a rush from eating the supers. Its not the type of rush that "other substances" give though. I know that if I am having a particularly bad day, or I am in a generally bad mood, I can eat something extremely hot and make it "all go away" for a few hours.

Then there is a second rush.... to the toilet...

Man I wish I was a lightweight. I wonder if I done fried my endorphin pumps or something. lol

I'm sure it is definitely tied to tolerance to a degree. However, I also think it is greatly affected by the individuals body chemistry. Some people, like yourself, just don't get as strong of a rush of endorphins as a response to pain or other stimuli that would elicit such a response, regardless of the intensity of such stimuli. Others do get that response from the body, and for those like myself, can get it to a high degree.

I will go on to say that I am a wimp when it comes to pain. I'm not ashamed to admit it either. And I do not get a good feeling out of any other pain besides what capsaicin provides. Not sure why that is. But if I didn't get an endorphin rush from eating the hottest of the hottest, I sure as heck wouldn't be doing it on a regular basis. I probably would have stopped after eating my first Bhut Jolokia.

lmfao - nice vid.

I think comp is on point - a lot to do with body chemistry.

The only time I ever got lightheaded from pain was when I broke my wrist. Which hurt like a somofabitch from start to finish. But at one point the agony was muted a bit, which I figure was the endorphins.

I was kidding about frying my endorphin response mechanism...I just don't think mine is triggered by hot foods.

That doesn't mean I want to eat 20 drops of PE to attempt to activate it. I was born at night, it wasn't last night.
;)

Interesting discussion though. Fun seeing everyone's perspective on this.

If you don't get a buzz from eating ++hot peppers I don't understand why you would continue to do it. I can catch a little float from what folks around here would consider medium hot: BW3 blazin' wings, really spicy Thai food, 4-5 Goats Weed pods with a meal.... First I get a tingle in the scalp, then my head starts to sweat, then it is like there is a nice cool breeze hitting me. Once the pain-burn in the mouth dies down I feel a little bit mellow and definitely happy. Nothing like a handful of capsaicin to brighten up your day.

It's nothing near the intensity of...other things people grow, but it keeps me coming back for more.

If you don't get a buzz from eating ++hot peppers I don't understand why you would continue to do it.

Uh, maybe because I love the way they taste?

Same reason I eat anything. I like the flavor. The burn adds to it, and I enjoy that burn.

But there's a difference between breaking a little sweat & getting high from it.

Do you get a buzz from eating cheeseburgers? No? Do you continue to do it? Why? :)

I think a lot of it stems from an adrenaline rush from the sensation of pain.

The only time I've ever felt any sort of a rush was the overdose of Musky's powder. But I wouldn't classify it as euphoric by any means. More like the rush you'd get if you almost fell over Niagra Falls or something.

If it's euphoria one is seeking, I just can't see how a Ghost Scorpion will ever become a preferred choice when the other one might be something from Maui ;)

True - reminds me of Kill Bill pt 2 where Bill shoots Beatrix with the dart full of truth serum.

He's explaining what it is and says it' often accompanied by a feeling of slight euphoria - and as she's sitting there with a dart in her leg he asks "are you feeling it?"

lol

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Do you get a buzz from eating cheeseburgers? No? Do you continue to do it? Why? [/background] :)

Cheeseburgers don't make my mouth feel like like I bit into the hot center of the sun. I also like the taste of peppers, and mostly that is why I eat them. Sometimes though, I like to push the heat limit a bit to get that endorphin kick, and that isn't about taste. If you could catch a buzz from eating 3 cheeseburgers at once, would you do it sometimes?

I'd do it anyway - I like the taste of cheeseburgers.
:)

I guess there are a couple of kinds of people - those who eat for flavor & those who are looking to experience something like heat.

I'm the former - but like I said, I've eaten many very hot things and not experienced the euphoria I've heard described so many times. I kinda wish I did. It is what it is.

No offense, but asking me why I still eat hot peppers or hot sauce even though they don't give me a euphoric buzz sounds kida silly.

I was wondering why people ate painfully hot peppers, emphasis on the pain. Eating things that taste good is a no-brainer. Eating things that make you curl up in a ball and cry for mommy is something most people only do once. There are some folks on this board that do it repeatedly. If there is no reward to go along with the suffering...why bother?

I've gottin where I felt light headed my jaw no joke my jaw felt like it was buzzing and that was when I had a1/3 of a naga jolokia another time 1/2 a red trinadad scorpion got the same light headed feeling but with this one my hands just up to my wrists where tingling as if they had fell asleep or somthing but with out the needle effect?

JHR- 20 drops ???? We need to get you the new-and-improved 1.5mil version!!!!

side note- hubby and myself (by accident, LONG STORY) ate about a tablespoon of a 3+million sauce and it put both of us out cold. Literally for him...passed out on the kitchen floor. Nothing "Pleasant" about that experience, and we didn't document it as I thought I was going to have to call the medics....

Oh, come on..no holding back...storytime!

I'll get that lightheaded feeling when I munch something slightly above my paygrade, heatwise. Unsure if it's endorphins or something else.

I wouldn't call it a "rush" exactly, but I have experienced a veeeery subtle mellow euphoria after the pain subsides. I did only experience this after my first superhot. This can easily be attributed to a surge in neurotransmitters that are released to combat the pain from a chile. But soon as we start talking brain chemistry and pain tolerance there is naturally going to be a lot of variation between chileheads.

From my own experience it is not even in the same ballpark as street drugs, keep in mind substances like cocaine or heroin release thousands of times more neurotransmitters than even an orgasm would. A Butch T compared to that really isn't going get you high.

Me and my brother were just talking about this yesterday while eating some hot salsa. It wasn't't made from super hots either. I think once a tolerance is built up then you will not get the buzz. Some people can drink one to three beers. Then there are those that drink twelve. I guess that's kinda they way I see it. I am the one to three beer guy. :rofl:

Back